Bright brass domes and safety valves plus round top fire boxes are typical of the pre WW1 period before austerity kicked in and everything was painted over.  The image shows an original loco where the insignia and lining seem to have worn off so that might be an option.  Also prior to 1908 the GWR used a different darker shade of green.

Just some minimal progress with my 3D print. Buffers now fitted and chassis modified. I now need to bite the bullet and do the handrails.

1473 Fitted with Buffere and modifies 14XX xhassis

[Though I have been side tracked with a round topped open cab version.

517 Open Cab version on unmodifies 14XX

• 1 year later...

This entry to this old thread is just to make a final to the story  and to say I've finally finished this model after 2 years

The body although finished, painted and lining transfer fixed was awaiting the last details, the

smoke box door handles

I think the reason I stopped working on this model is that it looks a bit too wide and tall in the tank area and I fitted some spare wheels without the awful plastic grip tyres. Without them this model still has enough haulage power for the short trains on my little layout.

Now I know why the new wheels are so cheep, a spare set of original Hornby's, they are not properly concentric and while the model runs OK it goes bob bob bobbing along.

So it did not look quite right and the running was not as smooth as I would have wished.

Despite that it is very controllable and can manage the slow speed work of shunting.

The body is not fixed It is just a tight fit over the chassis but seems stable enough, the two crew, both lightweight plastic are really a decoy to take your eye off that large motor box filling up the cab. One man is Dapol and the other a Preiser ware house workman designed to be leaning on a crate, now he leans on the side of the cab part of the tank.

post-6220-0-89047300-1488997764_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

Fascinated to read all the issues and ideas for a 517, I decide to follow you and have ago.

Hers my effort below, to be numbered GWR 1467

Thanks to all

Peter

I like the adaptation of the 14XX from post #43 by "peter jf", it somehow has a very archaic took to it.

post-6220-0-86106800-1488998130.jpg

Archived