Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

why can't we have flanges like those on the N gauge Jinty on our OO locos?

The loco looks lovely but as said earlier that coupling is dreadful..I won't comment on the chimney but why such big nuts to hold the connecting rods on? they are too noticeable close up - probably OK at normal viewing distance and so, so much better than thy original version....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Jinty, or Bagnall, certainly does look nice. The new style of chassis which Farish now favour means that converting it to 2FS shouldn't be too difficult. Throw those horrible couplings away, better wheels and, in particular, less hefty crankpins would transform this for a fraction of the time I spent on my one, seen here arriving at Highbury with a short rake of empties. I think I could justify another blue one for banking duties out of Bath.

post-1074-0-78745700-1393013162_thumb.jpg

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 18

The Jinty, or Bagnall, certainly does look nice. The new style of chassis which Farish now favour means that converting it to 2FS shouldn't be too difficult. Throw those horrible couplings away, better wheels and, in particular, less hefty crankpins would transform this for a fraction of the time I spent on my one, seen here arriving at Highbury with a short rake of empties. I think I could justify another blue one for banking duties out of Bath.

attachicon.gif11-9412564a.jpg

Jerry

Jerry,

Having taken thousands of model railway pictures over the last 20 or more years, I don't think I've seen anything as beautifully observed as your creation. It's not mainstream, it's not a nauseatingly-familiar shot of yet another Hornby or Bachmann loco 'fiddled' with by whoever (myself included) and I imagine it's all your own work, not the reported expertise of someone else, the like of which I've done. I never thought anything as exquisite as this would appear on this thread.

It's redolent of John Greenwood's peerless work in 2mm FS - I travelled to deepest Wales over 20 years ago to capture his creation of the deepest south, but I didn't get anything like as convincing a result as your picture. The Challis father and son team came close in P4, but I never captured for them the S&D the way you have. 

Nothing on any of the layout threads comes near this IMHO.

• RMweb Gold

Jerry,

Having taken thousands of model railway pictures over the last 20 or more years, I don't think I've seen anything as beautifully observed as your creation. It's not mainstream, it's not a nauseatingly-familiar shot of yet another Hornby or Bachmann loco 'fiddled' with by whoever (myself included) and I imagine it's all your own work, not the reported expertise of someone else, the like of which I've done. I never thought anything as exquisite as this would appear on this thread.

It's redolent of John Greenwood's peerless work in 2mm FS - I travelled to deepest Wales over 20 years ago to capture his creation of the deepest south, but I didn't get anything like as convincing a result as your picture. The Challis father and son team came close in P4, but I never captured for them the S&D the way you have. 

Nothing on any of the layout threads comes near this IMHO.

Crikey, I'm blushing now. That really is very kind Tony, thank you.

For the record the loco is a heavily butchered old Farish body with new chimney, dome, buffers, front splashers, handrails etc. The chassis is a Bob Jones etch modified so it would accept a Faulhaber 1016 motor and Association 100DP gears. The second wagon in the train ( Silvey of Bristol) is Farish otherwise its all my own work - with lots of help from the wonderful range of kits and bits available from the 2mm Association.

I am lucky enough to have a wide range of friends in the hobby but I would agree that John Greenwood is peerless. I have a number of locos built by John - he doesn't like making buildings much so like yourself I horsetrade!! For my money John is the best 2mm loco builder out there - only the likes of Tim Watson and the late Denys Brownlee come close.

John doesn't do computers at all but for those interested in seeing more of his work have a look at the North Cornwall thread linked in my signature.

Jerry 

• Like 5

Crikey, I'm blushing now. That really is very kind Tony, thank you.

For the record the loco is a heavily butchered old Farish body with new chimney, dome, buffers, front splashers, handrails etc. The chassis is a Bob Jones etch modified so it would accept a Faulhaber 1016 motor and Association 100DP gears. The second wagon in the train ( Silvey of Bristol) is Farish otherwise its all my own work - with lots of help from the wonderful range of kits and bits available from the 2mm Association.

I am lucky enough to have a wide range of friends in the hobby but I would agree that John Greenwood is peerless. I have a number of locos built by John - he doesn't like making buildings much so like yourself I horsetrade!! For my money John is the best 2mm loco builder out there - only the likes of Tim Watson and the late Denys Brownlee come close.

John doesn't do computers at all but for those interested in seeing more of his work have a look at the North Cornwall thread linked in my signature.

Jerry 

Having also photographed the work of Bob Jones, Tim Watson and Denys Brownlee, I perhaps should have mentioned those august gentlemen as well, though 'peerless' means he/she has no peers. 'Peerful' doesn't sound right at all, so maybe I should have said that John has few peers, because those other-mentioned gentlemen have also produced the most incredible locomotive work. But not quite sanspareil?

Anyway, the main reason for the praise (entirely justified) was because it's so refreshing to see something so unusual and so well done. My 'dig' (at myself in part) with regard to mainstream stuff is because it's all so familiar nowadays - so predictable. Just re-number, re-name, weather, etc an RTR OO loco and there you go. Though the results are extremely good (see the latest BRM for instance) and it's very encouraging to see folk actually having a go for themselves, I do love to see something so different. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Having also photographed the work of Bob Jones, Tim Watson and Denys Brownlee, I perhaps should have mentioned those august gentlemen as well, though 'peerless' means he/she has no peers. 'Peerful' doesn't sound right at all, so maybe I should have said that John has few peers, because those other-mentioned gentlemen have also produced the most incredible locomotive work. But not quite sanspareil?

Anyway, the main reason for the praise (entirely justified) was because it's so refreshing to see something so unusual and so well done. My 'dig' (at myself in part) with regard to mainstream stuff is because it's all so familiar nowadays - so predictable. Just re-number, re-name, weather, etc an RTR OO loco and there you go. Though the results are extremely good (see the latest BRM for instance) and it's very encouraging to see folk actually having a go for themselves, I do love to see something so different. 

Many thanks again Tony. To be honest it would be nice to have a few items of RTR stock, particularly coaches that just needed renumbering and a bit of weathering - it would certainly speed things along a bit!! The Jinty, and forthcoming 4F from Farish will help there although the latter will need a different tender to represent the S&D Armstrongs - typical having just built a 4F!

I guess what makes it unusual is that most S&D layouts understandably favour the post war years when a huge range of locos could be seen doing battle with the Mendips on a succession of holiday expresses - immortalised by Ivo Peters photos. A diet of Peter Denny when I was a lad and a liking for red and blue engines meant I have always been drawn to the pre-group period.

Jerry

ps. sanspareil, a great new word for my vocabulary - and an entrant in the Rainhill trials to boot!

• Like 2

<pedant mode on>

It's sans pareil.  Two words.  Literally without same, used as 'without equal'

<pedant mode off>

<railway enthusiast mode on>

Not if it's used as the nameplate of 'Jubilee' 45732.

<railway enthusiast mode off, with a touch of irony, though point taken>

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As I said John Greenwood doesn't do computers at all and has only rarely appeared in print so, before we return to things more 4mm and ECML, I hope Tony doesn't mind my putting an example of  his work on the thread.

For the record its a Midland 800 class 2-4-0, which will pilot a Johnson 3P 4-4-0 I'm currently building, on the Manchester Diner  (eight coaches also currently on the bench!) into Bath from the Midlands. I like to call it Wadebridge engine shed and water tower. John was very pleased with the deal but not half as thrilled as I was:-))

..........and yes, it is 2mm. It's posed in the colliery yard on Highbury.

post-1074-0-88329600-1393258706_thumb.jpg

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Did you have chance to give it a run Tony? Maybe it could have got that Coronation set around a full circuit! ;)

Ben's bringing it round in just over a week's time to do a DVD on LB. He's tested it on his Dad's layout already and it pulled what the prototype would have done, so I'll just keep on adding wagon after wagon until we reach its limit. I ran it along my test track and it appeared  to be incredibly smooth. A glance at the pictures above will reveal flywheels which aid smooth running. I won't be writing the review (Ben is to do that), but it seems to measure up. The only 'disappointing' thing I noted was the incorrect 'lean' of the return crank on diametrically opposite sides, caused, I assume, by the same wheels being used on both sides - their axle-mounting 'slots' thus being the same. These locos had outside-admission valves (old-fashioned Midland practice, though Bulleid used them too), resulting in the return cranks leaning to the rear (or the middle on this case). A minor visual detail I know, but very prominent in motion.  

The LMS Garratt makes me think of a man on a bicycle pushing a wheelbarrow.  A strange, puny looking thing compared to Beyer Peacock's proper machines that hadn't been got at by the Derby mafia...

I shall now retire behind a suitable wall and await incoming missives from Derby supporters with injured feelings.  Mind you, being Derby types they won't have the strength to lob anything very far, having poor valves and weak bearings.  I shall be able to out pace them with ease.

• Like 1

The LMS Garratt makes me think of a man on a bicycle pushing a wheelbarrow.  A strange, puny looking thing compared to Beyer Peacock's proper machines that hadn't been got at by the Derby mafia...

I shall now retire behind a suitable wall and await incoming missives from Derby supporters with injured feelings.  Mind you, being Derby types they won't have the strength to lob anything very far, having poor valves and weak bearings.  I shall be able to out pace them with ease.

By God, Sir, you go too far! Were you never taught that it's ungentlemanly to criticise a man's choice of wife or railway company? That, quoting Michel de Montaigne's words on Paris, he will tell you: “I love her so tenderly, that even her spots, her blemishes and her warts are dear unto me”?

In this particular case, already there are those, seduced by the photographs, who are asking whether they can find an excuse to give a home to this "mouth-watering" loco on their layouts, regardless of the prototype to which they are wedded.

Beat that drum! Clash those tambourines! Lift up your voices!

Hooray for:    post-7286-0-06598400-1394740939.jpg     !

Edited by bluebottle

The valve gears on each end worked in opposition, i.e. when the leading engine was in forward gear the other end was in backward gear. The photos seem to show bothe engines in back gear.

So if you intend to run in both directions it will be half right all the time, rather than all right or all wrong!

• Like 2

why can't we have flanges like those on the N gauge Jinty on our OO locos?...

... the Beyer Garratt from Heljan/Hattons ...

...would appear to have very nicely proportioned flanges for an OO RTR product. A measurement of each would be interesting. It's not alone though, Hornby's O1 is enhanced by the flanges on the loco being 0.6mm deep - the tender wheels are the more usual 0.9mm.

• RMweb Premium

While I fully accept and like the tenor in which the above was written I can only say that the sight of the last LMS one (47994 from Hasland) chugging north out of Chesterfield, probably on the way to Sheepbridge with ore, made an indelible impression on me aged about 3.5 while I walked past the BTH playing fields with my mother on the way to collect my brother from school.   I even built a K's one back in the 70's but it would hardly move itself until i chopped the base out of the rotary coal bumker and fitted an MW5 (I think) into the rear engine and ran it with both motors.  It would then opull anything I put behind it.

Jamie

• Like 3

I shall now go and stand in a corner and sulk.

Derek

• Like 1