Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Shunt signals - I like the kitchen table top type solutions. I've been using servos on Barmouth Junction for the signals including the shunt ones. The main problem came at Penmaenpool where the servos could not go under the layout, so actuation is via wire in tube with the servos under the scenery at the back. Changing the pull from horizontal to vertical with a tiny crank at each signal has been the main challenge...despite reaching the limits of my skill and patience, they work...I seem to have been working on these blasted shunt signals for months. Who's idea was it to have them working? Oh yeah - mine.....

• Like 2

Mr Wright you have shamed me into trying to get the ground signals on H'boro to work now!  It is not easy to get under the boards to do the deed but the memory wire trick looks the way to go. I mean if you guys can do it in 4mm then there is no excuse for not doing so in 7mm.

A properly signalled layout makes operation a real pleasure and somehow more realistic.

Martin Long

• Like 2

Mr Wright you have shamed me into trying to get the ground signals on H'boro to work now!  It is not easy to get under the boards to do the deed but the memory wire trick looks the way to go. I mean if you guys can do it in 4mm then there is no excuse for not doing so in 7mm.

A properly signalled layout makes operation a real pleasure and somehow more realistic.

Martin Long

The credit for any 'shaming' should go to Roy. 

Honestly, I'm very humbled when folk wish to contribute to the project of Little Bytham. Of course, as I've said many times, where we can exchange skills or resources then that's a fantastic situation to be in. Last week Rob Davey complete the 'miles' of fencing, just because he 'likes doing it'. My apologies, Rob, for not taking a picture so far. My erstwhile colleague at BRM will possibly pop over tomorrow to do a bit of 'gardening', or just run trains. I've completed a locomotive for him. 

On Sunday, the model of the Willoughby Arms is to be delivered. It was originally to be entirely the result of horse-trading, but that didn't work out. Not to worry, a friend has stepped in because he, too, likes making things. He will not return empty handed. 

Of course, there are cost-implications; who would expect anything else? But, the principal core of a gang of mates pooling collective resources to produce a working model railway which seems to please everyone who visits (if comments in my visitors' book are to be believed) is something I'm immensely privileged to be a part of. 

What's also developing is the notion of a group of operators meeting to run the railway. Operating a model railway has never had great appeal to me, though when friends come over to run it the banter is terrific. I have a system of 'marks'. Brown marks for operator errors (I have the most) and black marks for problems to do with the layout. The latter category usually has no marks in it at all. With all those working ground signals as well (only three are installed as yet), operation should be even more interesting. 

As I've said before, I admire those who make just about everything for themselves. They are much more to be credited than I'll ever be because they are multi-skilled and entirely self-reliant. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Martin Long

Martin, I wrote an article on memory wire signals for the British Railway Modellers of Australia journal "The Clearing House" a few years ago. I will check if there are any copyright issues and if not I will find somewhere to post it so that others can read it.

Two comments though - first, Jacques le Plat in Belgium who supplied my memory wire has now retired, but there are a couple of alternative sources in the USA. Secondly, the Bic Clic design only gives about 2 - 3 mm throw which might not be enough in 7 mm.

Don't think I've posted on here before but here goes; some thoughts on what I've read recently on this enthralling thread..

I found the October 1977 Model Railway Constructor last night, that I've kept because it was the first model railway magazine I ever bought. The editorial is all about how we've never had it so good in terms of availabilty of products and how people shouldn't complain if the variant they require isn't available.

Perhaps the difference is that in terms of availability the editorial was referring to both kits and ready to run and went on to say that modellers should be prepared to 'have a go' and modify to meet their needs. Interesting reading.

Your ideas about people being prepared to make things are spot on in my view and skills are perhaps declining though not everywhere.  Things like 3D printing and resin casting offer some exiting possibilities. I am a teacher and the students in our tec department produce some amazing things (I teach and play music).

I haven't built a loco kit, apart form a K's J70 running on a rtr bogie but I have built my own pointwork from SMP parts including two three way points and I've amazed myself that they have now worked for a number of years. They are not completely lump free but I built them and I've scratch built a number of buildings over the years. This is the latest work in progress based on Cressing in Essex.

post-12773-0-42228900-1450525093_thumb.jpg

Again, I'm quite proud of it because I built it. I have a punishing work schedule, especially at this time of year and it has taken three months to get this far, built from Slaters and Wills parts.

I have to build everything as I live in deepest Dorset and work on a very restricted budget. I do use mainly ready to run locos though many goods wagons and some coaches are kits. The J15 and D16 have been a revelation to a time starved GE/M&GN area modeller as was the Bachmann 4f and 4mt some years ago but everything on my layout is weathered or modified in some way- eventually!

Loco kits will come eventually and I'm itching to have a go at a Comet chassis and  something to go under the two Silver Fox J70 bodies I have but that will have to wait. Somehow I've also found the time to build a second layout that lives in a spare room that can simply be switched on and used with no setting up required.

I've been modelling for nearly 40 years and can't imagine myself doing anything else. I build small layouts and try to break them up into small manageable projects so I always feel like I'm moving forwards.

I do think people should have a go, I've made loads of mistakes but learnt from them and moved on so as to hopefully not do the same thing next time.

All the engineering stuff goes way over my head and I am in no way qualified to discuss the merits of Gresley, Thompson, Stanier etc.

• Like 18

Tony, you should be proud to be responsible for one of the best threads on RMweb. 

It is more pleasurable to argue with some of the punters on here than to agree with certain others I could name. But taken as a whole, the thread is a learning experience, and valuable as such.

• Like 2

attachicon.gif60136 best wishes.jpg

May I wish all the numerous contributors to this most lively thread the very best of the season, please?

It's not a particularly Christmasy view (and it's probably been seen before) but it'll have to do. 

To those I've helped over the last 12 months, well that's the least I can do.

Now fancy going all festive on us all of a sudden (bah humbug!)

Seriously - many thank to yourself for your not inconsiderable contribution to Grantham this year in the build up the show debut in September

post-16151-0-54988500-1450552851.jpg

Barry caught you in this pose at the show!

All the best to you and Mo over the holiday period and looking forward to 2016.

• Like 3

post-18225-0-66836300-1450555379_thumb.jpg

Just one more picture with regard to the plonkers theme..........

It would be very nice if any RTP signals or buildings had been suitable for Little Bytham, but none is. 

The locos are kit-built, as is the nearer train, though plonking Bachmann Mk.1s in trains is extremely useful for saving time. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Chassis jig ordered and delivered by Poppy - glued together and already made use of - will try and get some pictures of the other B17 chassis when I get it started. 

All I need now is a gearbox for each chassis and B17s are go!

Thanks for your help with the chassis Tony and see you in the New Year sometime.

Baz

post-7650-0-74002100-1450555829_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Don't think I've posted on here before but here goes; some thoughts on what I've read recently on this enthralling thread..

I found the October 1977 Model Railway Constructor last night, that I've kept because it was the first model railway magazine I ever bought. The editorial is all about how we've never had it so good in terms of availabilty of products and how people shouldn't complain if the variant they require isn't available.

Perhaps the difference is that in terms of availability the editorial was referring to both kits and ready to run and went on to say that modellers should be prepared to 'have a go' and modify to meet their needs. Interesting reading.

Your ideas about people being prepared to make things are spot on in my view and skills are perhaps declining though not everywhere.  Things like 3D printing and resin casting offer some exiting possibilities. I am a teacher and the students in our tec department produce some amazing things (I teach and play music).

I haven't built a loco kit, apart form a K's J70 running on a rtr bogie but I have built my own pointwork from SMP parts including two three way points and I've amazed myself that they have now worked for a number of years. They are not completely lump free but I built them and I've scratch built a number of buildings over the years. This is the latest work in progress based on Cressing in Essex.

attachicon.gifWP_20151212_12_20_06_Pro.jpg

Again, I'm quite proud of it because I built it. I have a punishing work schedule, especially at this time of year and it has taken three months to get this far, built from Slaters and Wills parts.

I have to build everything as I live in deepest Dorset and work on a very restricted budget. I do use mainly ready to run locos though many goods wagons and some coaches are kits. The J15 and D16 have been a revelation to a time starved GE/M&GN area modeller as was the Bachmann 4f and 4mt some years ago but everything on my layout is weathered or modified in some way- eventually!

Loco kits will come eventually and I'm itching to have a go at a Comet chassis and  something to go under the two Silver Fox J70 bodies I have but that will have to wait. Somehow I've also found the time to build a second layout that lives in a spare room that can simply be switched on and used with no setting up required.

I've been modelling for nearly 40 years and can't imagine myself doing anything else. I build small layouts and try to break them up into small manageable projects so I always feel like I'm moving forwards.

I do think people should have a go, I've made loads of mistakes but learnt from them and moved on so as to hopefully not do the same thing next time.

All the engineering stuff goes way over my head and I am in no way qualified to discuss the merits of Gresley, Thompson, Stanier etc.

What a splendid example of personal modelling, though I wish I could thank you using your real name. 

Go to the top of your class! 

Examples of folk having a go by/for themselves is what this thread should be all about at its core.

What a splendid example of personal modelling, though I wish I could thank you using your real name. 

Go to the top of your class! 

Examples of folk having a go by/for themselves is what this thread should be all about at its core.

My name is Martyn Mullender, my RM name is simply a nick name used for years.

Thank you for your kind words and have a great Christmas.

Chassis jig ordered and delivered by Poppy - glued together and already made use of - will try and get some pictures of the other B17 chassis when I get it started. 

Thanks for your help with the chassis Tony and see you in the New Year sometime.

Baz

attachicon.gifEarl Roberts of Kandahar.jpg

Thanks Barry,

One thing I didn't do when we erected the chassis (and is suggested in the Poppy instructions) is to hold the frames together using the one eight lengths of silicon tubing, pushed hard against the outside bearings. It is heat-resistant and should work. Of course, being indolent, I just held the lot together with my fingers and grimaced! 

Gearboxes? May I suggest DJH GB2s?

Edited by Tony Wright

• RMweb Premium

It would be very nice if any RTP signals or buildings had been suitable for Little Bytham, but none is. 

The locos are kit-built, as is the nearer train, though plonking Bachmann Mk.1s in trains is extremely useful for saving time. 

Tony, as you know, this is the heart of the matter for me. I use RTR and to a lesser extent RTP whenever I can so that the time saved is available for non-RTR or RTP matters such as baseboards, pointwork (although I use ready-to-lay SMP track), signals, buildings, landscaping, etc., etc.

All the best for the season from a lovely sunny 30 deg C Sydney Sunday morning.

• Like 1

30 degrees...c.....if this unseasonal weather continues it might be Brum on Christmas Day....seasons greetings to all the modellers on this excellent forum especially you Tony, ...thank you for the inspiration and my ongoing love of this hobby

• RMweb Premium

Baz

attachicon.gifEarl Roberts of Kandahar.jpg

Now this thread is getting really tasty!

Lovely stuff. How about a B7 and a B3 to go with the "Glenalmond"?

Pretty please.

Cheers,

Tony G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now this thread is getting really tasty!

Lovely stuff. How about a B7 and a B3 to go with the "Glenalmond"?

Pretty please.

Cheers,

Tony G

Tony

I can do a B5

post-7650-0-59140200-1450628314_thumb.jpg

and a B9

post-7650-0-86928800-1450628331_thumb.jpg

but my old man never got to do the B3 or a B7 and I don't think I could scratchbuild either!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 6