Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

8 hours ago, mullie said:

Now it is there it would look wrong if it wasn't. It was well worth the effort, looks great.

Martyn

Thanks Martyn,

Even allowing for the 'wiggles'?

I don't know how they could have avoided a few. 

At their most-numerous, the rods are ten-wide (which is the widest of the stools). They actually should be 12-wide in places, but he-ho, there was no way I was going to solder extra bits to the widest stools. I made the runs in 6" lengths (or thereabouts), meaning seven stools for each run. So that's 70 soldered joints for every six inches (not to mention the cranks and compensators)! I'm not a good enough a solderer to manage that amount of consistency. 

Granted, as the runs 'radiate' from the signal box the numbers of them diminish with each passing point until, at both ends, there's just one run. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

Clem, the WD was always a DJH kit, that Tony wrote up years ago, which I always wanted to build. I am most interested in how you get on. I am not sure about DJH's battleship chassis as I feel some movement is required to keep the feet on the rails. I will just be patient as one day I will either purchase a DJH one or a all singing and dancing David Bradwell version. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DougN said:

Clem, the WD was always a DJH kit, that Tony wrote up years ago, which I always wanted to build. I am most interested in how you get on. I am not sure about DJH's battleship chassis as I feel some movement is required to keep the feet on the rails. I will just be patient as one day I will either purchase a DJH one or a all singing and dancing David Bradwell version. 

Hi Doug. 

Yes. I have two to build. Bought a long time ago when I was earning  well and was stashed away for a... well a time like just now. The chassis as provided probably builds into a decent OO rigid chassis, but I'm committed to springing/compensation. I have extremely tight curves for EM and I've found that a sprung/compensated chassis has better adhesion on tight curves. Also, it helps current collection if all wheels are in contact with the rails. The 'battleship' chassis is simply too hefty and takes up vital width.  It does mean that I have to be very careful on my calculations with the cylinder mounts to get them at the correct width but also ensuring adequate clearance for EM. 

I'd love to have a go at the Dave Bradwell version but it would probably take me a year to complete and I'm not sure how well suited to EM it is. The Bradwell J39 chassis for instance doesn't easily go together in EM. I did one some years ago in P4 and found it much easier. Also I find Dave Bradwell's horn blocks dead fiddly. (now there's phrase I never thought I'd say!).

• Like 1

Clem, Dave has changed his design a number of years ago with his Q6 being the first it is a fold out arrangement. I found it dead easy to build a good running loco. I have finished a J39 which was started by another modeller I do need to go and fettle it a bit more. It does run but it can be improved. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clem said:

Hi Doug. 

Yes. I have two to build. Bought a long time ago when I was earning  well and was stashed away for a... well a time like just now. The chassis as provided probably builds into a decent OO rigid chassis, but I'm committed to springing/compensation. I have extremely tight curves for EM and I've found that a sprung/compensated chassis has better adhesion on tight curves. Also, it helps current collection if all wheels are in contact with the rails. The 'battleship' chassis is simply too hefty and takes up vital width.  It does mean that I have to be very careful on my calculations with the cylinder mounts to get them at the correct width but also ensuring adequate clearance for EM. 

I'd love to have a go at the Dave Bradwell version but it would probably take me a year to complete and I'm not sure how well suited to EM it is. The Bradwell J39 chassis for instance doesn't easily go together in EM. I did one some years ago in P4 and found it much easier. Also I find Dave Bradwell's horn blocks dead fiddly. (now there's phrase I never thought I'd say!).

The O4/7 looks excellent Clem, and I'm sure you'll make an equally excellent job of the DJH WD.

A Dave Bradwell WD? 

I actually have one here! I've had it for years (before we moved to Lincolnshire). 

It was sent to me by a potential customer with a request 'Will you build it for me please?' I looked at it, and put it back. It's definitely not OO-friendly, and probably not even EM-friendly. 

No doubt it's a wonderfully-accurate kit but I declined for two reasons. For one, I think it's beyond my skills and, two; even if if I could build it, the cost would be thousands of pounds, with hundreds of hours work being necessary! 

That was the last I heard from the customer (I've lost his details now). 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

I think your point rodding looks brilliant Tony. It was well worth the effort you put into it.

Only thing I could suggest is the colour looks a little uniform grey. A little variation to the colour wouldn't go amiss. Although that was probably your plan anyway :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

The O4/7 looks excellent Clem, and I'm sure you'll make an equally excellent job of the DJH WD.

A Dave Bradwell WD? 

I actually have one here! I've had it for years (before we moved to Lincolnshire). 

It was sent to me by a potential customer with a request 'Will you build it for me please?' I looked at it, and put it back. It's definitely not OO-friendly, and probably not even EM-friendly. 

No doubt it's a wonderfully-accurate kit but I declined for two reasons. For one, I think it's beyond my skills and, two; even if if I could build it, the cost would be thousands of pounds, with hundreds of hours work being necessary! 

That was the last I heard from the customer (I've lost his details now). 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks for kind comments, Tony. Yes, the DJH WD is going together quite well. it's been an enjoyable experience so far. No progress so far today - i've been conscripted to the garden. Just got back in.

Regarding your experience of the Dave Bradwell kit, I'm not surprised by your reluctance. From my limited experience and from heresy my understanding is that his kits produce very good and accurate models but massively labour intensive - extremely detailed and pretty fiddly.

By the way, if you or anyone else is interested, I have a full set of Alan Gibson WD wheels for P4. I bought them with the kit, many years ago when I was still doing P4. 

PS The point rodding looks spot on!

Edited by Clem

3 hours ago, DougN said:

Clem, Dave has changed his design a number of years ago with his Q6 being the first it is a fold out arrangement. I found it dead easy to build a good running loco. I have finished a J39 which was started by another modeller I do need to go and fettle it a bit more. It does run but it can be improved. 

Doug, I've done 2 of his J39 chassis kits. I did buy them many years ago, though. Are you saying that he's now changed the design for the J39? If so I'd be interested in trying one again. Both of mine also run well but the EM one gave me a bit of trouble as the frames were still slightly too wide. I eventually sorted it with much fiddling and filing. I must say the Bachmann bodies do sit very well on the Bradwell chassis and the inside motion detail is brilliant.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, LNERandBR said:

I think your point rodding looks brilliant Tony. It was well worth the effort you put into it.

Only thing I could suggest is the colour looks a little uniform grey. A little variation to the colour wouldn't go amiss. Although that was probably your plan anyway :)

Thanks Stephen,

One thing I do after completing something, especially scenic work, is 'live' with it for a time. That way I can decide whether I like it or not over time.

I think you're right, it does need something to add variety to the overall tone/colour. Perhaps some oil deposits in places. 

What was the real rodding made from? Zinc-coated steel channel, giving an overall grey appearance, resisting rust?  

Speaking with a friend this morning, he reckons the best advice with regard to making point rodding (especially where a lot of it is needed) is not to start! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

That last shot of the V2 on the fish train is absolutely fantastic in all respects.

i know you are always keen to stress that the layout is a team effort, Tony, but there must be a great sense of satisfaction in adding these finishing touches

to the picture. It really has been worth the journey, and thanks so much for sharing it with so many of us.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Tony - Are you listening to 5 Live Sports Extra at the moment?  They are replaying the Test Match Special from last years "Miracle at Headingly"; Stokes and Leach are in and 46 runs still needed..........

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Derek Russan said:

My reply was sent at 15:40 1st April. Within 1 hour of the email coming in.

That's strange; I never received it. Oh well, I sorted out my issue with the flux so the email is redundant now.

Regards,

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

Would it be possible, please, for you to post a photo of the underside of two of your coaches where the hook and bar coupling system you use is installed? I am interested in the dimensions of the hook and bar, their positioning relative to the buffer heads and how they are attached to the coach body. I am thinking about trying it on one of my rakes. Thanks.

Hope you and Mo continue to be in good health.

Archie

3 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Tony - Are you listening to 5 Live Sports Extra at the moment?  They are replaying the Test Match Special from last years "Miracle at Headingly"; Stokes and Leach are in and 46 runs still needed..........

apols for being OT but reminds me of a story I heard a golf commentator, Peter Allis I think, tell.  He was describing how when action replays were first introduced to live TV in the 60s, they were trialling it at one of the golf majors.  After a suitably challenging putt, the producer says to a young Allis and his much older co-commentator, “now now, we’ll run the replay.”  Tape is duly rerun of the miracle putt.  Cue the older commentator “well well well, would you believe it, he’s gone and done it again!”  

For some reason, I was reminded of that anecdote  watching Stokes again today.

David

Edited by Clearwater
Spelling. Golf is not my game
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

That last shot of the V2 on the fish train is absolutely fantastic in all respects.

i know you are always keen to stress that the layout is a team effort, Tony, but there must be a great sense of satisfaction in adding these finishing touches

to the picture. It really has been worth the journey, and thanks so much for sharing it with so many of us.

Thanks Al,

I think all along it was important for me to make a fair bit for the layout, not just building oodles of locos and stock. 

If nothing else, it's down to fiscal practicalities. Although, as is known, much has been achieved by barter, there are limits to that, and what could I offer in barter for someone to make and install over 30' of point rodding? Money, maybe, but Little Bytham has never been the product of 'chequebook modelling', though there are obvious costs. I've nothing against folk commissioning models (I've been paid in hundreds of cheques down the years), but the end product is a possession, not a personal creation, even if that personal creation has been achieved with (considerable) help, in the form of teamwork. And that's why I'll always mention the team; I abhor folk taking credit for the work of others. 

With so much time now, it's my intention to keep on taking pictures of LB. It would seem folk seem to like them........

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, Manxcat said:

Tony,

Would it be possible, please, for you to post a photo of the underside of two of your coaches where the hook and bar coupling system you use is installed? I am interested in the dimensions of the hook and bar, their positioning relative to the buffer heads and how they are attached to the coach body. I am thinking about trying it on one of my rakes. Thanks.

Hope you and Mo continue to be in good health.

Archie

Good evening Archie,

We're keeping safe and sound, thanks Archie. 

I hope you and yours are doing the same.

I'll take pictures of my couplings for you tomorrow. 

Regards,

Tony.