RMweb

Wright writes.....

Good,

All recent pictures seem to have returned.

Regarding split chassis B1s, I've sold a couple over the last fortnight. I sold the original chassis underneath 61266 to Gilbert Barnatt as a spare for his still extant types which see use on Peterborough North (it actually isn't a bad runner). I sold the other at the weekend (complete loco) for £20.00. It was rough (typical, really) with regard to running, but I think the bloke who bought it was going to do what I did - so, £20.00 for a Bachmann B1 body and complete tender wasn't bad, even if the nasty split-chassis is just chucked away..... Does anyone know what Bachmann B1 bodies and tenders go for, new? 

Adding up, I think I'm now into double figures with Bytham's B1s arrived at by combining Replica/Bachmann B1 bodies/tenders with Comet frames/Markits wheels/can motors/gearboxes. I think they turn out just fine. 

Edited by Tony Wright
tautology
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

AIUI, Bachmann only supply complete locos nowadays. They replaced the split chassis with something more conventional a few years ago which probably defers the need for a rebuild until it wears out. 

It certainly has with their BR4 4-6-0. All of my newer ones run just fine "as is", which is more than can be said for the Hornby ones, which are prone to split gears.

John

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

AIUI, Bachmann only supply complete locos nowadays. They replaced the split chassis with something more conventional a few years ago which probably defers the need for a rebuild until it wears out. 

It certainly has with their BR4 4-6-0. All of my newer ones run just fine "as is", which is more than can be said for the Hornby ones, which are prone to split gears.

John

Thats an interesting observation. I find the latest Bachmann B1 chassis is smooth but far too light whereas my Hornby versions will pull anything (that been up to  my 8 coach limit so not up to Tony standards). Touch wood I've not had split gear problems on any Hornby loco from the last 20 years apart from a solitary Stanier tank (and I think this may be an isolated manufacturing issue as it is v common with them and spares can't be had). 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Thats an interesting observation. I find the latest Bachmann B1 chassis is smooth but far too light whereas my Hornby versions will pull anything (that been up to  my 8 coach limit so not up to Tony standards). Touch wood I've not had split gear problems on any Hornby loco from the last 20 years apart from a solitary Stanier tank (and I think this may be an isolated manufacturing issue as it is v common with them and spares can't be had). 

I've no experience with the B1, either Hornby or Bachmann, but of the BR 4MTs, the other duplicated models, with which I am familiar, two out of four Hornby examples have suffered split gears (replacements are currently unobtainable) and one has yet to leave its box other than for initial testing. I have direct experience of at least twice as many of the Bachmann ones, and none has failed in any way.

Both makes handle 8-coach sets, either r-t-r, Kirk kits, or a mixture of the two, without difficulty, or goods trains of comparable length. The Bachmann ones tend to be somewhat weak when new, as are many of their steam-outline locos in my experience, but improve greatly once you get the newness off the driving wheels. Running them on loads just heavy enough to make them slip a bit (when nobody else is looking), helps accelerate the process. After a while, you notice they aren't slipping any more and you can add another coach. Repeat as necessary.

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I've no experience with the B1, either Hornby or Bachmann, but of the BR 4MTs, the other duplicated models, with which I am familiar, two out of four Hornby examples have suffered split gears (replacements are currently unobtainable) and one has yet to leave its box other than for initial testing. I have direct experience of at least twice as many of the Bachmann ones, and none has failed in any way.

Both makes handle 8-coach sets, either r-t-r, Kirk kits, or a mixture of the two, without difficulty, or goods trains of comparable length. The Bachmann ones tend to be somewhat weak when new, as are many of their steam-outline locos in my experience, but improve greatly once you get the newness off the driving wheels. Running them on loads just heavy enough to make them slip a bit (when nobody else is looking), helps accelerate the process. After a while, you notice they aren't slipping any more and you can add another coach. Repeat as necessary.

John 

Ah sorry - I read  'BR4' as B1 which was of course what Tony was talking about. Agree re the Standard 4 - the Bachmann model is a good runner and against the reviews at the time I think captures the prototype better than the Hornby version.  Getting expensive now though, latest version is £178 new - I bought both of mine from the first release for less than £70!

I have two of a mate's Bachmann WDs which need new motors as they now have shorts in them. Last weekend I got four K3s from him which I'm yet to properly assess. I know two probably have the shorting issue. One has a worn or damaged crosshead that drops out of the slidebars - I might see if I can fit one of the redundant crossheads from my new Bachmann V2 (?). Otherwise I'll fit valvegear off one with a stuffed motor initially to get that one going. I don't think any of these have had excessive running though.

I've recently had to fix two Heljan Garratts for another mate which had wiring issues.

And for another mate to fit double Peco fibre washers either side of the front axle to stop the crankpins on  the leading driving wheels on a Heljan GWR saddle tank from occasionally jamming with the crossheads. I've also just this morning regauged the driving wheels on a Hornby Railroad Hall for him as well. Admittedly that was because it jammed in pointwork built by the late Norman Saunders. The back to back was however as tight as 14mm on one pair of wheels

Seems like the issues with current RTR are wide ranging!

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I only have one Hornby 4MT which was acquired from another Rmwebber a year or so ago. It ran very well initially, but after a short period of storage now appears to be showing all the symptoms of the dreaded split gear. I haven't quite summoned the courage to open it up to investigate which if any of the gears is the bad one. My other, much older Bachmann one is still a great runner.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

I only have one Hornby 4MT which was acquired from another Rmwebber a year or so ago. It ran very well initially, but after a short period of storage now appears to be showing all the symptoms of the dreaded split gear. I haven't quite summoned the courage to open it up to investigate which if any of the gears is the bad one. My other, much older Bachmann one is still a great runner.

Strangely, almost all manifestations of the split gear syndrome seem to come after a period of disuse, I've only had a couple of cases where one has "obviously" let go when a loco was running. 

Of course, it may be that they began splitting whilst running but only parted completely on attempting to run the next time.....

Replacement gears for the 4MT don't seem to be available at present. I attempted a chassis mod to fit a West Country set, that appear to be the same but on a longer "axle" and which I had to hand. Not going well so far..... 

John 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Didn't Peters Spares make some replacement gear wheel sets for Hornby locos? I bought some to keep as spares a few years ago after my rebuilt West Country suffered a split gear.

I don't know if they were produced specifically for Peter's spares or for Hornby, but none of the five sets I've replaced so far has "gone" again. As a natural pessimist/cynic, I have purchased enough to repair my own fleet of rebuilts as well as those I take care of on Bournemouth Central should it become necessary....

I even bought a second-hand one with a split gear recently because I knew what was wrong and the price was good....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ray Flintoft said:

It's good to have RMWEB up & running again .  for those who like to see other's work ( as I do ) the two latest additions to my loco. stud  .

Hi Ray,

I really like the side-lighting  and blue sky background for the photos of your new additions (which incidentally really look the part!). It brings back memories of my mis-spent youth going round the sheds on sunny afternoon/evening shed bash trips. 

• Like 1

Regarding split gears on (particularly) Hornby locos, such cases are brought regularly to me at shows (prior to lockdown and, now, afterwards); at least two locos per show on average. Is this acceptable? All I do is recommend Peter's Spares, or get in touch with Hornby. 

When David West popped over last week, running his detailed/weathered Hornby A2/2, after a circuit of LB on (admittedly) a heavy train, the most alarming grinding noises were heard, the loco just stopped dead and its motor whirred away to no traction effect! Another split gear! 

All the more-recent posts confirm to me (if ever further confirmation were needed) that my decision to build my own chassis, whether they be scratch-built or kit-built or whether they be underneath RTR bodies, scratch-built bodies, 3D-printed bodies or kit-built bodies is the right one. Split gears? What are those? 

Today, Jim Good from Waterlooville came over for the day, and we ran just about all of LB's trains. Every loco we ran, I'd built and there were no split gears. The running was excellent, apart from (as always!) my operating incompetence in not setting the correct roads. There was a problem on a slip in shunting the pick-up. Since I find shunting of no interest at all, the slip has probably not been changed for months. No matter, a few throws, making sure that there was no detritus between the switch rail and the stock rail and a bead of oil, and all was cured.

Thanks Jim, for your hospitality at lunchtime, your diligent driving, excellent conversation and most-generous contribution to CRUK.

I hope you had a good journey back. 

• Like 7

Having said I'd probably post on fewer occasions, as always, something interesting crops up from correspondents. 

B1s have been mentioned...........

2135078220_BachmannB131-713.jpg.c5b0541d1add6eb75d359775edb89173.jpg

Here's an original split-chassis Bachmann B1. Body and tender generally good, but woeful (usual) performance, poor valve gear (look at the angle of the return crank!) and odd bogie wheels.

76518819_BachmannB1newchassis31-71602.jpg.15588d00cef9ea7a92f1c8dc37383bd5.jpg

A new-chassis Bachmann B1, body/tender still good, performance much-improved (though relatively weak, haulage-wise), better valve gear, but even odder bogie wheels. This is an example of factory-finish weathering! 

741719446_HornbyB1R300002.jpg.1753fff5080ca049c42f8c0e9e9648ac.jpg

A Hornby Scottish-allocated B1. Body/tender very good (not sure about the chimney, though), valve gear good, performance excellent (until a gear strips?) and even, even odder bogie wheels. 

521620702_HornbyB1andBachmannB1.jpg.8eb7f1de91947ea8d3e330d471ce94cf.jpg

Comparisons are odious, I know; Hornby one nearer. 

509497099_HornbyBachmannB1s.jpg.f694cfdd73f384a6e02f255d06f4cedf.jpg

More comparisons, this time the Bachmann one nearer. Renumbered, Bachmann weathering much-improved, new bogie wheels and couplings. Since sold-on. 

Hornby one renumbered, detailed, new bogie wheels and new chimney. 

856373126_B161175Hornbymod.jpg.0f494bb69d12845de8759e4b071a1992.jpg

And, after Tom Foster's wonderful weathering touches........... I still have this one.

682373872_6115901.jpg.4828cc6d825259e88dd0a0895a761a31.jpg

My preferred B1 methodology. Bachmann body/tender, Comet frames, Markits wheels and a really decent motor/gearbox.

1417041718_B107.jpg.bf42f3b1905f4d76a58d26b3527788d8.jpg

To produce a more-than-adequate (in my opinion) layout loco. 

Any more B1s? 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

A new-chassis Bachmann B1, body/tender still good, performance much-improved (though relatively weak, haulage-wise), better valve gear, but even odder bogie wheels. This is an example of factory-finish weathering! 

And, after Tom Foster's wonderful weathering touches........... I still have this one.

As clear a demo as any, Tony, that factory weathering is NOT worth the money. 

It looks like road dirt on a car driven in an agricultural area (with light clay soil) after a wet spell.  The colour is all wrong and where is the weathering on the boiler? It's still shiny.

Tom's weathering is such that if you pick the loco up you'd check your fingertips afterwards, it just looks like real dirt and grime.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Having said I'd probably post on fewer occasions, as always, something interesting crops up from correspondents. 

B1s have been mentioned...........

2135078220_BachmannB131-713.jpg.c5b0541d1add6eb75d359775edb89173.jpg

Here's an original split-chassis Bachmann B1. Body and tender generally good, but woeful (usual) performance, poor valve gear (look at the angle of the return crank!) and odd bogie wheels.

741719446_HornbyB1R300002.jpg.1753fff5080ca049c42f8c0e9e9648ac.jpg

A Hornby Scottish-allocated B1. Body/tender very good (not sure about the chimney, though), valve gear good, performance excellent (until a gear strips?) and even, even odder bogie wheels. 

521620702_HornbyB1andBachmannB1.jpg.8eb7f1de91947ea8d3e330d471ce94cf.jpg

Comparisons are odious, I know; Hornby one nearer. 

509497099_HornbyBachmannB1s.jpg.f694cfdd73f384a6e02f255d06f4cedf.jpg

More comparisons, this time the Bachmann one nearer. Renumbered, Bachmann weathering much-improved, new bogie wheels and couplings. Since sold-on. 

Hornby one renumbered, detailed, new bogie wheels and new chimney. 

682373872_6115901.jpg.4828cc6d825259e88dd0a0895a761a31.jpg

My preferred B1 methodology. Bachmann body/tender, Comet frames, Markits wheels and a really decent motor/gearbox.

1417041718_B107.jpg.bf42f3b1905f4d76a58d26b3527788d8.jpg

To produce a more-than-adequate (in my opinion) layout loco. 

Any more B1s? 

Tony, how do you get enough weight into the Bachmann locos with the Comet chassis? I have replaced the chassis on mine but it is very light on its feet

2 minutes ago, coronach said:

Tony, how do you get enough weight into the Bachmann locos with the Comet chassis? I have replaced the chassis on mine but it is very light on its feet

As much lead as I can squeeze in. In the body, filling up the area between the gearbox and the smokebox, then lined around the inner firebox, inner backhead, above the motor and every spare bit of space between the frames. Which means; no space at all for a decoder! 

I'll post a picture tomorrow..........

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

As much lead as I can squeeze in. In the body, filling up the area between the gearbox and the smokebox, then lined around the inner firebox, inner backhead, above the motor and every spare bit of space between the frames. Which means; no space at all for a decoder! 

I'll post a picture tomorrow..........

Regards,

Tony. 

There’s always somewhere to sneak in a decoder...  under the cab roof, inside the tender, under the coal load... just needs a bit of creativity.  😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Hello All,

With regard to 'factory' weathering, I am of the opinion that the quality of such, quite apart from being somewhat subjective and affected by the lighting used for photos, does not lend itself readily to 'exact' colouring.

Thus it is really a bit of a lottery. I have had factory-weatheed 00 steam models which range from the 'spray of dried mud' to excellent renditions of working engines, though not of course anywhere near the quality of the best examples shown in this thread.

Here is a TMC 'value weathered' Bachmann V2, which at twenty Pounds is I think a fair place to start with maybe more weathering? No connection. I've drawn the beginnings of a front coupling but haven't touched the finish of the model.

60845_V2_portrait15_2abc_r2080a.jpg.aa437630027c5305705337a28707f4fe.jpg

Cheers

Edited by rjm
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Regarding split gears on (particularly) Hornby locos, such cases are brought regularly to me at shows (prior to lockdown and, now, afterwards); at least two locos per show on average. Is this acceptable? All I do is recommend Peter's Spares, or get in touch with Hornby. 

When David West popped over last week, running his detailed/weathered Hornby A2/2, after a circuit of LB on (admittedly) a heavy train, the most alarming grinding noises were heard, the loco just stopped dead and its motor whirred away to no traction effect! Another split gear! 

All the more-recent posts confirm to me (if ever further confirmation were needed) that my decision to build my own chassis, whether they be scratch-built or kit-built or whether they be underneath RTR bodies, scratch-built bodies, 3D-printed bodies or kit-built bodies is the right one. Split gears? What are those? 

Today, Jim Good from Waterlooville came over for the day, and we ran just about all of LB's trains. Every loco we ran, I'd built and there were no split gears. The running was excellent, apart from (as always!) my operating incompetence in not setting the correct roads. There was a problem on a slip in shunting the pick-up. Since I find shunting of no interest at all, the slip has probably not been changed for months. No matter, a few throws, making sure that there was no detritus between the switch rail and the stock rail and a bead of oil, and all was cured.

Thanks Jim, for your hospitality at lunchtime, your diligent driving, excellent conversation and most-generous contribution to CRUK.

I hope you had a good journey back. 

Thank you Tony, and Mo for your hospitality too, lovely to meet you both, and Jilly! 

I had a smashing time, what an inspiration today has been for me! 

You've certainly given me some food for thought about my EM project too regarding Shortlands Junction. 

The journey back was trouble free, what a lovely part of the world you live in! 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

Tony just an update on the DJH B16/1 I bought from you a few weeks back, I am delighted to say it is everything I had wished-for.

Not a top-drawer model but a rather nicely-made example, and so very redolent of NER atmosphere.

I have taken the liberty of photographing it and adding some details, and steam, thus. Currently stuck on bedrest with a pressure sore I placed the engine on an inverted tea-tray and camera on a pair of folded trousers, highly professional.

Well pleased, thankyou very much for the opportunity to own a non-RTR model of such beauty.

61436_B16_portrait60_3abcd_r2080a.jpg.24864fb2980cb93e88f1a67d5064b28c.jpg

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

8 hours ago, Jeepy said:

Thank you Tony, and Mo for your hospitality too, lovely to meet you both, and Jilly! 

I had a smashing time, what an inspiration today has been for me! 

You've certainly given me some food for thought about my EM project too regarding Shortlands Junction. 

The journey back was trouble free, what a lovely part of the world you live in! 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

Our pleasure Jim.

It's so nice to have friends visiting LB again, and Jilly plays 'front of house greeter' every time. 

Shortlands Junction would make a most-interesting model project, especially for those who like to run locos from all the London Regions (even WR?) and the BR Standards, plus so many diesel/electric classes. What was in those few pictures in the book? A Jinty and an 8F from the LMR, A J50 from the ER, two Ws and a Q1 from the SR, and a NB Type 1, EE Type 1 and a Class 71? All on the same stretch of track! Not the largest types, of course, but wonderful variety on the transfer freights. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, rjm said:

Tony just an update on the DJH B16/1 I bought from you a few weeks back, I am delighted to say it is everything I had wished-for.

Not a top-drawer model but a rather nicely-made example, and so very redolent of NER atmosphere.

I have taken the liberty of photographing it and adding some details, and steam, thus. Currently stuck on bedrest with a pressure sore I placed the engine on an inverted tea-tray and camera on a pair of folded trousers, highly professional.

Well pleased, thankyou very much for the opportunity to own a non-RTR model of such beauty.

61436_B16_portrait60_3abcd_r2080a.jpg.24864fb2980cb93e88f1a67d5064b28c.jpg

Very effective Rob.

I think I'd describe the B16 clearly in the 'layout loco' category, a journeyman-build so to speak (builder unknown, though probably now deceased). It is of its time - a time when the likes of Nu-Cast and DJH were first bringing out kits for locos of NER origin; well over 40 years ago now! 

Since B16s (of all three types) don't appear to be on any RTR radar, then this is one of the ways to obtain a model of the most-successful NER 4-6-0.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

How about another Tom Foster Hornby B1?

IMG_0174.jpeg

Lovely Dylan,

I'd forgotten this one. 

Please, at some future point, change those bogie wheels!

By the way, I've still got your under-construction Britannia here. You left it with me at Doncaster, then forgot to collect it. When you next visit.............

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 1