Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Tony , the real visual appearance with the bulkhead in the kit is the white metal casting of the semi circle cut out for the brake handle , would I be correct basically to copy the bulkhead from the high sided tender ?

It’s a disappointment to read the DJH instructions where they proudly claim to have covered the alternative parts for the different versions of the loco , and then add they hadn’t done this for the tender .

Apart from that the two tenders are built and I’m looking forward to building the locos , 60106 with deflectors and 60074 without.

Will you be at Wigan this October ? If so be good to have a chat with you.

Dennis

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A lot of the older cast metal loco kits were designed with an XO4 or its derivatives in mind, resulting in a too large gap underneath the boiler.

The Wills 2251, a really old cast kit, was designed to fit a Tri-ang Jinty chassis, which had a large chunk of mazak above where the valve gear should have been. It also came with a curved infill piece for the boiler bottom that you could fit if you used Wills' own chassis. When I built mine, over 50 years ago now, I combined the two by cutting the mazak away and fitting the infill. You could still see the worm but it looked much better overall. Later I fitted Romford wheels (too small, in my ignorance) but it's never been converted to DCC so doesn't run on the layout nowadays.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

41 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

The Wills 2251, a really old cast kit, was designed to fit a Tri-ang Jinty chassis, which had a large chunk of mazak above where the valve gear should have been. It also came with a curved infill piece for the boiler bottom that you could fit if you used Wills' own chassis. When I built mine, over 50 years ago now, I combined the two by cutting the mazak away and fitting the infill. You could still see the worm but it looked much better overall. Later I fitted Romford wheels (too small, in my ignorance) but it's never been converted to DCC so doesn't run on the layout nowadays.

I did similar with a J39. But it's so long ago now I can hardly remember the details. We sold it back in the 80s I think.

1 hour ago, D.Platt said:

Thanks Tony , the real visual appearance with the bulkhead in the kit is the white metal casting of the semi circle cut out for the brake handle , would I be correct basically to copy the bulkhead from the high sided tender ?

It’s a disappointment to read the DJH instructions where they proudly claim to have covered the alternative parts for the different versions of the loco , and then add they hadn’t done this for the tender .

Apart from that the two tenders are built and I’m looking forward to building the locos , 60106 with deflectors and 60074 without.

Will you be at Wigan this October ? If so be good to have a chat with you.

Dennis

Good afternoon Dennis,

I'll need to check on the drawings to see how the different bulkheads are configured. 

I will be at Wigan, by myself. It was always Mo's and my intention to reduce the amount of shows we attended (we did 20 in 2019!), and she's now attending fewer than I am. She's been a great support, but a life beyond model railways is something she deserves, and she'd like to get the autumn tasks completed in the garden.

The Wigan Show promises to be as good as ever and I'm looking forward to it.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony

Quick update , I’ve found on brassmasters website the drawings for the modified tender , thanks for going to the trouble of showing us your A3 photos , hopefully I’ll be able to show you mine in a few months , I’m not as quick as yourself.

Dennis

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The Wills Flatiron kit fitted onto a Triang Jinty chassis. I bought the kit and chassis from Bill Stott of Nusto.. then Nucast. It was my first kit built loco. I still havebit with Romford wheels fitted but it still has its X04 motor. Lined LMS maroon and not often taken out of its box.

Baz

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coach bogie said:

Here is one of a pair of Wills 2251 built in the 1960's by my father with Evostick. After he died it was one of the items I chose to resurrect. It had Romford's but Mazak on one side with a groove worn in over 50 years use. I gave it a complete rebuild with some loose parts soldered back on.

Still has the same X04. Why? He taught me 'if it aint broke' don't fix it'. I cleaned it up, put a new magnet and brushes in and it runs well.

Tender is a K's ROD replacement as the original had been dropped and was twisted and I...well could not be bothered to fix when I have a box of spare tenders.

No prize winner but it is a family history as far as I am concerned.....and it works!

Mike Wiltshire

2255.JPG.cf83c3f514641d7083f957f8670e391f.JPG

Great stuff Mike,

Thanks for showing us.

One question: is that a 'Silver Jubilee' Triplet Third I spy in the background? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

...Why not start an equivalent thread, with a GWR bias? 

I would be comfortable with seeing more Western stuff being posted on WW, as long as it is comparable to the current top quality content.  Same goes for Crimson Lake or Malachite Green stuff too... as long as it doesn’t take over!  

One can only follow so many threads.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Still has the same X04. Why? He taught me 'if it aint broke' don't fix it'.

I have to confess that mine doesn't. It, together with several other early locos, was fitted with a 5-pole replacement during the mid-1990s. I got these from Bob P in Stafford, whose name appears in this topic from time to time, but I don't know whether he did the conversions himself.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Chamby said:

I would be comfortable with seeing more Western stuff being posted on WW, as long as it is comparable to the current top quality content.  Same goes for Crimson Lake or Malachite Green stuff too... as long as it doesn’t take over!  

One can only follow so many threads.

Agreed Phil. I don't follow all that many threads on RMweb, but this one is a constant inspiration, not just because of the kitbuilding side of it, but also the ever-present backdrop of Little Bytham and the trains running on it.

The other thing is that although the thread is understandably LNER-centric, there is a lot of general modelling and prototype expertise on tap which is applicable to other regions.  After all they are all choo-choos in the end and mostly run on the same gauge?

Al

Edited by Barry Ten
typos
  • Agree 6

Seeing Barry Ten's (Al's) locos on the last page, reminded me that he brought some of them over in 2015 to run on LB....

27XX.jpg.37d7cbd51677ca60f76a02bc5e8b3466.jpg

61XX.jpg.6a045ec0c2b2f05143312dc0def17e9f.jpg

1553367457_Bird4-4-0.jpg.9c45c3123a47608bbb63caa18c091640.jpg

1473727425_Cambrian2-4-0T.jpg.1d64fbf3711b317ef700200ade22c94a.jpg

City.jpg.ae51c27129fb96f937479ef670560e02.jpg

653600489_DeanGoods.jpg.edcb5e81c2e354cefdbc483bf66006a0.jpg

King.jpg.6cf36e3f72125d01a94ff18b4939bea5.jpg

It's always wonderful to have friends' locos guesting on LB. Was it really seven years ago (in the main)? 

Much has changed/developed on LB since then (see my next post). 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1