RMweb

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Perhaps even simpler to remember that the apostrophe represents a contraction: "it's" = "it is". So if you can read the sentence to say "it is", then you can use the apostrophe. If it sounds right, it's right.

How disappointing - you could have wound everyone up by writing "If it sound's right...".

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pebbles said:

This looks like a mismatch between the body and the chassis, and indeed I'm not certain that WSM ever produced an etched chassis for their D2. However, if the chassis was intended for that model whoever designed it possibly failed to appreciate the thickness of the cast loco running plate.  If this is the case, for the loco, the solution is relatively simple. 

This is funny to read as the short hand for my car is D2 and it could do with a chassis, except galvanised.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

A worthy model to celebrate FLYNG SCOTSMAN's centenary Tim.

I can't locate the picture I took of Denys' FS on Copenhagen Fields right now. Did I send you a copy? 

You have photographed Denys’ FS quite a few times, Tony. One of them is the landing page of the MRC web site. 
https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Adding to the conversation about buying second hand kit built locomotives here is a list of what I have bought on eBay recently. 

Gem fowler 2-6-4t which includes wheels gears and motor for £60.

K's coal tank which again has full working chassis but missing its chimney for £20.

Gem 56xx on a triang chassis (I intend on this being my Guinea pig for building a comet models chassis) £15.

Gem LNWR g2 body kit £21.

Craftsman midland 1f which is a failed build and got a lot of glue on the chassis, also requires a motor but has a full set of wheels, £40. 

Quite happy with that lot, just need to build them when I find the time. 

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, uax6 said:

Except in Strowger telephony, where its three wires.....

Andy G

8 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Also (balanced) 3 phase systems?

Surely someone will come along shortly and say that they are using one or other of these to control their trainset! 🤪

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 hours ago, 4069 said:

If the box belonged to someone called It, "It's box" would be correct. 😮

If someone was called "It" then shouldn't the proper name be capitalised?

EDIT (Sorry - may have misread the original post. My eyes don't seem to work as well as they might in the mornings.)

Edited by drmditch
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Two more interested in the possible soldering course. Many thanks.

I've just received a sample of the Sonic Models' A5 for review in BRM.........

1696362342_SonicA5S4101-0701.jpg.45eb72c6cab587648f6836e25beca07f.jpg

It does look rather good, and runs beautifully! 

Can you add some valve gear while you have it Tony.

The poor thing looks naked and unfinished.😃

Bernard  

• Funny 5

Re: New A5 model.

I received my LNER liveried version yesterday as well.

My plan is to convert it to a representation of an A5/2.

(The reasonable cost of this model makes this conversion cheaper and quicker than building a kit.)

I am assuming that I would need to modify:-
- The cab roof (possibly)
- Spectacles (definitely)
- Lower curvature to frames under the smokebox/boiler (definitely)
- Front sandbox replaced above footplate (definitely)

- Smokebox closing handles. I have recently learned that "dart" is an incorrect term. (definitely)
- Chimney (if no manufactured version available) (definitely)
- Change to LH drive (definitely)
- repaint in plain un-lined black. (an advantage of the 1940s - though probably not if one was alive at the time!)

I would not bother about the overall width (reduced by 2" (.66mm) from the Gorton version, nor worry about the increase in wheelbase of 4" (1.33mm) between the trailing bogie wheels and the leading coupled wheels.

I would be interested to see if anyone else is contemplating (or has already completed) this conversion.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Can you add some valve gear while you have it Tony.

The poor thing looks naked and unfinished.

Surely converting it to (the appearance of) a 4-cylinder compound is more for the Imaginary Locomotives thread than this one?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I've just received a sample of the Sonic Models' A5 for review in BRM.........

1696362342_SonicA5S4101-0701.jpg.45eb72c6cab587648f6836e25beca07f.jpg

It does look rather good, and runs beautifully! 

Tony

My LNER black lined in red model of 5024 is on its way to me and will hopefully arrive late next week. I've been following the development of this model since its first announcement back in 2021.

Overall it appears to be a good model of the prototype.

One thing that strikes me though is the chimney. All the various model versions appear to be fitted with the same chimney yet there were three different chimneys fitted to the class across their life. None of the models appear to require the Gresley flowerpot chimney fitted late 20s-early 30s which was rather ugly (note this is what anyone contemplating converting the model to replicate one of the LNER built versions will require). However, the LNER black 5024 and the BR versions should all be fitted with the LNER cast chimney, similar to but different to the original GC chimney as well as being slightly shorter. Unfortunately the GC chimney they've fitted them all with doesn't reflect the elegant curves of the original. The main body of the chimney is too tapered towards the top it should curve out wider beneath the wide top rim. 

As the chimney is part of the face of the loco this is unfortunate in my view. Fortunately I have a couple of options for what I might use to replace it - a spare Craftsman A5 chimney and a PDK O4 chimney.

There are a couple of livery issues but these are easily fixed. The LNER versions should have black buffer shanks not red and my understanding is that the LNER black 5024 should not have red lining on its wheels.  I'd love someone to prove that wrong so I don't need to paint the wheels black but as far as I can discover only a few J72s had red lining on their wheels.

The bogie wheels look quite good on this model - what's you opinion?

It will be interesting to compare it to my Craftsman kit that I built back in the 1980s. I know the Craftsman model is a bit too too narrow across the bunker.

Andrew

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, drmditch said:

Re: New A5 model.

I received my LNER liveried version yesterday as well.

My plan is to convert it to a representation of an A5/2.

(The reasonable cost of this model makes this conversion cheaper and quicker than building a kit.)

I am assuming that I would need to modify:-
- The cab roof (possibly)
- Spectacles (definitely)
- Lower curvature to frames under the smokebox/boiler (definitely)
- Front sandbox replaced above footplate (definitely)

- Smokebox closing handles. I have recently learned that "dart" is an incorrect term. (definitely)
- Chimney (if no manufactured version available) (definitely)
- Change to LH drive (definitely)
- repaint in plain un-lined black. (an advantage of the 1940s - though probably not if one was alive at the time!)

I would not bother about the overall width (reduced by 2" (.66mm) from the Gorton version, nor worry about the increase in wheelbase of 4" (1.33mm) between the trailing bogie wheels and the leading coupled wheels.

I would be interested to see if anyone else is contemplating (or has already completed) this conversion.

Good morning,

You might have to change the front buffers as well...........

103019445_A569832DarlingtonShed1955.jpg.129da6eb6c95fe7701ef5129536a9f68.jpg

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've been doing some A5 comparisons this morning.

A5s.jpg.e3ee1e86b0448877e4447ad629a2c25f.jpg

The nearest model (obviously) is the latest Sonic example. 

The middle one was built from a Craftsman kit (builder unknown) which came from the estate of a deceased modeller. It didn't run very well (haven't we heard this before?), and no attempt had been made to widen the bunker. It runs very well now, but I've left the bunker as it is. 

The furthest one was built/painted/weathered by Tony Geary using a Craftsman kit. Tony did widen the bunker. It's heroically-filthy and used to run on Charwelton (with a characteristic squeak). It now runs on Little Bytham, but without the squeak! 

689152082_04Peterborough-Doncaster69800.jpg.18d83c25af874827fc58f77f7166b136.jpg

I'm privileged to now own such a natural model, though (as with the other Craftsman A5) I've still to move the front top lamp bracket down from the top of the smokebox to the top of the smokebox door. One thing I did do on both was to change the bogie and pony wheels to types with fewer spokes (they were built when 14mm-12-spoked bogie/pony wheels were what was available). However, unlike the Sonic's pony wheels, which, correctly, have 11 spokes, mine just have ten.

Another A5 which used to run on Little Bytham was.........

1940550641_Nu-CastA5.jpg.e21409a7c10fa839bb3c31f526aa2323.jpg

This Nu-Cast one; acquired from the estate of the late Roy Jackson (Roy didn't build it), it was in a bit of a mess. I part-rebuilt it, got it going, painted it and weathered it. It's now been sold-on.

Finally, in many ways I yearn for a simpler time.............

751314233_A5boxes.jpg.12cfb824dd2ce1605cd7b6c2a06dad98.jpg

A simpler time when simple cardboard boxes were all that were required to contain a model, wrapped in layers of tissue paper (the Craftsman box is a second manifestation - the originals were smaller!). 

The Sonic box (to be fair, as with all recent RTR offerings) is huge, full inside with foam and blister packaging.

• Like 15

Were there any major errors with the Nu-Cast A5? We know about the Craftsman one being narrow across the bunker, of course.

I built a Nu-Cast one not too long ago, & it's expected to get painted during my next leave, so if I need to modify it, now's the time.

There's a Craftsman one in the roundtuit pile, but I'll see how  drmditch fares modifying his Sonic A5 😎

Mark

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Were there any major errors with the Nu-Cast A5? We know about the Craftsman one being narrow across the bunker, of course.

I built a Nu-Cast one not too long ago, & it's expected to get painted during my next leave, so if I need to modify it, now's the time.

There's a Craftsman one in the roundtuit pile, but I'll see how  drmditch fares modifying his Sonic A5 😎

Mark

Good afternoon Mark,

I don't know if there were any errors with the Nu-Cast A5. Perhaps others will know.

You see, the one I had was mainly-built - all I did was strip it and paint/weather the body. I got the chassis going (which, believe it or not, was a white metal block).

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Woodcock29 said:

Tony

My LNER black lined in red model of 5024 is on its way to me and will hopefully arrive late next week. I've been following the development of this model since its first announcement back in 2021.

Overall it appears to be a good model of the prototype.

One thing that strikes me though is the chimney. All the various model versions appear to be fitted with the same chimney yet there were three different chimneys fitted to the class across their life. None of the models appear to require the Gresley flowerpot chimney fitted late 20s-early 30s which was rather ugly (note this is what anyone contemplating converting the model to replicate one of the LNER built versions will require). However, the LNER black 5024 and the BR versions should all be fitted with the LNER cast chimney, similar to but different to the original GC chimney as well as being slightly shorter. Unfortunately the GC chimney they've fitted them all with doesn't reflect the elegant curves of the original. The main body of the chimney is too tapered towards the top it should curve out wider beneath the wide top rim. 

As the chimney is part of the face of the loco this is unfortunate in my view. Fortunately I have a couple of options for what I might use to replace it - a spare Craftsman A5 chimney and a PDK O4 chimney.

There are a couple of livery issues but these are easily fixed. The LNER versions should have black buffer shanks not red and my understanding is that the LNER black 5024 should not have red lining on its wheels.  I'd love someone to prove that wrong so I don't need to paint the wheels black but as far as I can discover only a few J72s had red lining on their wheels.

The bogie wheels look quite good on this model - what's you opinion?

It will be interesting to compare it to my Craftsman kit that I built back in the 1980s. I know the Craftsman model is a bit too too narrow across the bunker.

Andrew

Good afternoon Andrew,

The carrying wheels are all rather good.............

895331163_SonicA5S4101-0705.jpg.7d44fb2096399afae49eab58382e6064.jpg

The centre bosses might be a bit big, but the overall profiles seem reasonable.

272217802_SonicA5S4101-0706.jpg.e0dbe683f90cdc875d0ba30dc8db9d78.jpg

They've even gone to the trouble of making the pony wheels (correctly) a slightly larger diameter with one more spoke!

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

27 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Mark,

I don't know if there were any errors with the Nu-Cast A5. Perhaps others will know.

You see, the one I had was mainly-built - all I did was strip it and paint/weather the body. I got the chassis going (which, believe it or not, was a white metal block).

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

Thanks for that.

Yes, my A5 has the old style whitemetal lump too. As I wanted to try & build it pretty much as designed, I gave it a go. Well, K's/Nu-Cast were guilty of many modelling crimes - the 'orrible motors, for example - but this wasn't the first of that genre to have come my way, and, in fairness, it had been drilled out pretty accurately.

It certainly looks like an A5/2, and runs nicely, so we'll see how it stands up to show use in the future.

I can't recall, off the top of my head, what motor/gearbox I've installed, but it will have been something with plenty of power - the loco itself is heavy, as you know.

Regards

Mark

Edited by MarkC
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Andrew

Red lined wheels.

It would appear as a result of Bachmann issuing the latest J72 with lined Red wheels, all of a sudden everything LNER has red lined wheels e.g TMC has them on the forthcoming G5 .

I have never seen any other LNER Loco other than the J72 with Red lined wheels. Hopefully that is correct , as I personally do want to line out any wheels! Red !.

• Like 2