Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

19 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

I wish you well for the weekend, Tony, but I do wonder how many RMWebbers even know it is happening, as it appears no-one connected with the event has thought to post any reference to it in the “Exhibitions” section of our Website. 

Thanks for that,

It's advertised in the exhibitions' section of the RM.

Odd, though, that it's not on RMweb. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

'Budget Modelling' No. 5.

I've just started on another 'hybrid'; this time making an LMS BTK Dia. 105 from an old Airfix BTK and MAJ sides.......

LMSBTK01.jpg.5e2b0d925bc3ad7a05599b9c76b54e3f.jpg

I've removed what's necessary from the sides so far with a circular saw in a mini drill, knife and files.

The whole Airfix donor cost me only £5.00!

LMSBTK02.jpg.652471e4de5bb95350c9ad437d1b880d.jpg

I bought some complete MAJ LMS/BR carriage kits for £10.00 each. As a cheap quicky, I thought why not use the pre-printed sides over the old Airfix donor? I'd still have all the rest of the MAJ bits - ideal for fixing Comet etched brass sides to.

I've just sprayed the hacked-about body satin black to make sure that no scabby interior bits will show through the windows. 

I'll stick the self-adhesive sides on tomorrow, reporting accordingly; if it works! 

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

15 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

I wish you well for the weekend, Tony, but I do wonder how many RMWebbers even know it is happening, as it appears no-one connected with the event has thought to post any reference to it in the “Exhibitions” section of our Website. 

The Ruddington exhibition has been listed on the chronologically organised UKmodelshops website for a long time. I always look there for show listings, finding it more convenient than the randomly arranged "exhibitions" section (with details) on here, and obviously more informative than a calendar section that only gives the name and date of the show.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Why on earth did the LNER letter their catering cars so low on the bodyside?

There looks to be plenty of room in the waist panel.

The lack of panelling on the Thompson car makes the lettering position look even more odd!

CJI.

In the modern UK, where anybody with a chip on his shoulder can complain about so-called "discrimination", they would probably have to put the lettering low enough to avoid any possibility of being accused of "heightism" by the vertically challenged. Then of course, tall people could complain instead...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, gr.king said:

In the modern UK, where anybody with a chip on his shoulder can complain about so-called "discrimination", they would probably have to put the lettering low enough to avoid any possibility of being accused of "heightism" by the vertically challenged. Then of course, tall people could complain instead...

That reminds me of an episode of the comedy series "The Goodies" where discrimination against people of short stature, in this case jockeys, was mocked as "apart height".

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Well, my hybrid LMS BTK 'worked', ...

I couldn't decide whether 'opaque' windows should be white or frosted, so did both. 

Ah, I'm glad you mentioned that. I've always laboured under the impression that the LMS used frosted rather than opaque glass; however, in some photos the windows have 'caught the light' and appear opaque.

Could it be the case that, by BR days, there might have been some opaque glass as windows were changed?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, gr.king said:

The Ruddington exhibition has been listed on the chronologically organised UKmodelshops website for a long time. I always look there for show listings, finding it more convenient than the randomly arranged "exhibitions" section (with details) on here, and obviously more informative than a calendar section that only gives the name and date of the show.

I don’t doubt you’re right - but a website explicitly named as being about “UK model shops” wouldn’t personally be the first place I’d look for information about forthcoming “model railway exhibitions”.

And with RMWeb supposedly the biggest and best-known generic railway modelling site, it seems a curious omission that neither the promoters nor (as sometimes happens) an exhibitor, retailer or even a prospective attendee has mentioned it on here in the “Exhibitions” thread, where most such events do seem to appear and are widely anticipated and discussed, even if not in strict chronological order. 

But there we go; I’m only a mere

punter; I “receive” marketing and promotion, I don’t “generate” it, so what do I know …

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

20 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

I don’t doubt you’re right - but a website explicitly named as being about “UK model shops” wouldn’t personally be the first place I’d look for information about forthcoming “model railway exhibitions”.

And with RMWeb supposedly the biggest and best-known generic railway modelling site, it seems a curious omission that neither the promoters nor (as sometimes happens) an exhibitor, retailer or even a prospective attendee has mentioned it on here in the “Exhibitions” thread, where most such events do seem to appear and are widely anticipated and discussed, even if not in strict chronological order. 

But there we go; I’m only a mere

punter; I “receive” marketing and promotion, I don’t “generate” it, so what do I know …

I agree in some respects, but it was only a basic Google search for a particular model railway exhibition that first took me to UKmodelshops. I didn't get there by divine inspiration or cryptic thought processes. I then saw how helpfully organised the lists are on there, in date order, with information about the show accessible without having to look in a different place.

Maybe the RMWeb Exhibitions section could be arranged to list shows in date order too, rather than according to which one has most recently been updated or received comment? Then there'd be no chance of missing an imminent show that had actually been listed but had received no recent comment so had slipped down the lists onto another page...

Edited by gr.king
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

If you go to the 'Events' heading on UK Model Shops, you will find a box in the top right hand corner where you can sign up to get the Newsletter every Friday. This gives details of exhibitions for the forthcoming two weeks.

It's free and you can 'unsubscribe' anytime.

Brian (I have known the owner, Adrian Hall, for many years but have no other connection than 'satisfied customer')

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The duckets were included in the kit. I cut them out carefully and fixed them in place with Evo-Stik. Big mistake. The glue ate away the duckets, and also the surface of the space where they fitted! Fortunately, there was some spare material of the same printed colour, so I cut ducket-sized pieces from that, then fixed them in place with PVA to hide the mess. 

I'm not saying I spend too much time on RMWeb... but I had a dream about those duckets last night! 😂

• Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone suggest where I might get a replacement Smokebox Door Casting to suit a Nu-Cast LNER V2 kit please?  I've recently obtained the kit and after checking the contents against the instructions (a task that I never look forward to) I've discovered the casting is missing ☹️

Many thanks

Brian

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, polybear said:

Can anyone suggest where I might get a replacement Smokebox Door Casting to suit a Nu-Cast LNER V2 kit please?  I've recently obtained the kit and after checking the contents against the instructions (a task that I never look forward to) I've discovered the casting is missing ☹️

I am sure that Tony will know of someone. In the past I have found PDK Kits very useful. They supplied a number of realy good castings for the V4 that I am building.

http://www.pdkmodels.co.uk/

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Beechnut said:

This picture appeared on FB and I thought Tony might like it, assuming it’s one he’s not seen before.

The date on the caption is 20/05/61, the loco being 60135.

IMG_3608.jpeg

Thanks for this evocative picture.

Judging by the Pullman formation, it looks to be the Down 'Tees-Tyne Pullman'.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, polybear said:

Many thanks

Brian

Good evening Brian,

I'm sure I've got a suitable cast 'door for a V2.

I'll look one out and post it to you. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Brian,

I'm sure I've got a suitable cast 'door for a V2.

I'll look one out and post it to you. 

Regards,

Tony. 

That would be excellent - many thanks Tony 🙂

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some years ago I hoovered up a fair few of the MAJ LMS sides, intending to use them for carriages. I part assembled one, and discovered that for the droplights the clear sides would need drilling and opening out to avoid the supplied droplight layer creating a raised portion under the top layer. This was a step too far at that time (I've not re-visited yet). But I also investigated making some other sides for the body's. I got a friend to draw up bodysides in full LMS livery, and then found a printer who used the old style vinyl printing process (in heat formed layers, rather than by single layer printing) that allowed the base to be brown (which shows as the interior panelling, the MAJ ones are printed on clear, so you can see the red bodywork), yet reproduced the crimson lake to the same colour as the MAJ sides, but with the added bonus that the windows were actually cut out, so that you get the definition between the frame and the glass. The only problem was the glossiness of the sides, but I guess satin varnish might sort that, although I'm not sure how it would stick to the vinyl.

They came out well, well enough that I spoke to 'the black hole of Poole' to see if there were still any MAJ bits left over. This was confirmed to be true, (everything except the vinyl sides) but I could never work an agreement to purchase these bits. The wagon parts were there too, apart from the chassis bits, as the moulds had been lost.

A bit of a dead end really. 

Andy G

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

All set up at Ruddington.

Nice to see Deepcar again, and South Town.

Some interesting second-hand stuff, including some GWR kit-built locos in OO for £20.00 each! I've checked, cleaned and oiled them and, apart from a couple of duds (which can be workshop-fixed) they're not bad. If interested, I suggest getting there early.

There are also some other second-hand loco kits for sale, mostly LNER prototypes, some made-up others untouched. Certainly worth a view. 

See you there.............

• Like 7

I don't know whether my video of building an O4/8 worked properly earlier.

It's now on Youtube.............

It'll be on my display stand at Ruddington today and tomorrow.

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I don't know whether my video of building an O4/8 worked properly earlier.

Good Morning Tony,

Hope all is going well at Ruddington. We have a "Railex" at Buxton this weekend so off to that later.

The video of the O4/8 is very good and thanks for going to all that trouble. I hope it encourages more modellers to have a go at kit bashing - it can be a cheap way of obtaining a decent model of a different prototype.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1