RMweb

Wright writes.....

On professional secrecy, there was an Armenian woman in America who ran cookery courses in Armenian cuisine.  Even under her direct tuition her students could never get the richness of flavour she did.  It turned out that whenever she went to put her own dish in the oven that was in the next room, she would secretly add herbs or spices that she had never told her students about.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Iain.d said:

Progress on the Roxey Mouldings LSWR non corridor 3 carriage set I’m doing has been has steady over the last couple of weeks. I turned over the top and bottom edges of the sides and formed the tumblehomes. Forming the turn under is not something I’ve ever got the hang of; I’ve read about lots of different ways of doing it but I’ve not mastered one of them, my method usually sees me using all of those methods, or slight variations of, during the same bending session!

Roxey-LSWR3Coach(Non-CorridorSet)-(05)Sides.jpg.e3bfafc4b293ad9cbac080d7905bbc21.jpg

Then I soldered on the door vents, the droplights and the bottom door hinges (which is only what the kits provide for) I did most of the droplight windows open to some degree or other – I know I’ll regret this when it comes cutting and fixing in the glazing, as all the pieces of glass will need to be cut a different size.

Roxey-LSWR3Coach(Non-CorridorSet)-(07)Sides.jpg.1087fb4993317a6c300480df1d14f418.jpg

I folded up the bogies and soldered the provided bogie fixing bolts to the bolsters, rather than the nut to the bolster as suggested by the instructions; my thought being that when in motion, if the nut comes loose the bogie will stay on the bolt where as if the bolt comes away from the nut the bogie will likely part company from the carriage, cause a derailment and /or damage the underframe detail.

Roxey-LSWR3Coach(Non-CorridorSet)-(08)Chassis.jpg.c14a19877a139bd7b1eda76f0959d61a.jpg

And I added all the major external bits to the two brake carriages; the duckets, the sliding doors and the ‘L’ shaped sliding rails for them near the cantrail. I also soldered the nuts to the end plates and folded up the ends.

Roxey-LSWR3Coach(Non-CorridorSet)-(09)BrakeSides.jpg.c5398afba9077ce7092008aff6086259.jpg

Next major task is to make up the bodies and get them to fit the chassis. Then I’ll do the buffers and look how I’m going to couple them together. I’m thinking some sort of ‘Bill Bedford’ coupling type of thing, made up from the provided screw link bits (soldering them rigid) and using the brake/heating pipes for strength.  I did something a while go between a couple of other non-corridor carriages.

LMSD1686C-Coupling(1).jpg.3a046bd60107096863d1d764d2ab79a2.jpg

Kind regards,

Iain

Ahh. Forming the tumbleholme in brass sides- surely one of the dark arts of model making!

If you don’t have access to bending bars, which very few have, there are , as Ian says, a few different methods.

Personally I’ve had very good results, for years, with a length of skirting board. The curved rebate being exactly right for bending the tumbleholme on LMS coaches with a steel bar. Unfortunately I can’t give details as there must be thousands of different types of skirting boards, maybe it’s just a question of luck.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, micklner said:

The A2/1 Dome looks a strange/unusual  shape.

One of my A2/1's Waverley.

A real Mongrel Bachmann A2 chassis ,Graemes etched Valve Gear and Resin Front end , Hornby A3 Body cut down, GBL A4 cab.

image.png.b925f57bac41f0c2e7cb2869a11646e1.png

image.png.fdbf459ea63f7afb2c1341d79275fc3c.png

image.png.596028dda49402508570544f05eb57dd.png

Duke of Rothesay

Using a Resin V2 Boiler , the rest is as Waverley, in this case pulling a modified Bachmann Tender.

image.png.7e068d063dff02a664af745635c4118f.png

Good evening Mick,

'The A2/1 Dome looks a strange/unusual  shape.'

It was what Jamieson provided 47 years ago! It's staying put.

Unless it's due to camera parallax, it looks as if your 508 is gazing at the stars at the front end.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davidw said:

No problem Tony, your memory of who and what visited LB is amazing. Yes I brought the A2/3 (DJH) on the same visit. I rushed the painting of it in readiness for the visit. Bad idea!  It was Hycila at the time but will  become a different A2/3 in due course as I think it ran with a 117 boiler until 61. A repaint will be a good idea too!

Your quite probably right about the hand rail on 60508.  But the boiler is I think a little high. 

W.r.t the A2/2 PDK I think offer two variants not sure which kit to go for to model 60503/4. A build a future date.

As regards Micklner's A2/1 is stunning. 

Good evening David,

PDK (ex-Crownline) offers both general A2/2 types; as first rebuilt (which 60503/04 looked like up to withdrawal, with the original four-segment boiler and full 'V'-fronted cab) or those which latterly received Peppercorn/Thompson five-segment boilers and the full 'V'-fronted cab cut back to behind the safety valves (60501/02/05/06). Neither 60503/04 can be made with ease from the DJH kit, nor can they be made from Hornby's RTR rendition (not without extensive modification). 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

On 19/07/2023 at 17:21, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Jesse,

Might I suggest the Nu-Cast kit for a K2, much-revived by Nu-Cast and partners if you're going to build one? The LRM kit makes up very well, though there is a discrepancy in the dimensions of the driving wheel bearings and the coupling rods. I'm told that this doesn't matter if the compensation system (as prescribed) is employed, but for a rigid chassis (which I always employ), I made new coupling rods; not beyond a man of your abilities, but be forewarned. No such necessity is needed for the Nu-Cast K2, especially now it's got a proper etched brass set of frames. Though the last of the original Nu-Cast loco kits got etched frames, for years they were supplied with a cast metal lump for a chassis. If you're looking at acquiring an original Nu-Cast K2 (via eBay?) to build, make sure it's got an etched set of frames. The one I bought of late has, fortunately. 

I'm astonished at the number of K2s I've had running on Little Bytham. Here's a selection............

36Nu-CastK2.jpg.7f8a161288dcd15136ccc11f9aa409b5.jpg

A Scottish example, built from a Nu-Cast kit. Who brought this, I can't recall.

Nu-CastScottishK2.jpg.8eda008c98276ad0c6903c854066cbf9.jpg

Another Nu-Cast Scottish K2; again, whose this is, I've forgotten. 

More forgotten Nu-Cast K2s.............

K261763.jpg.c3845cd408bc974ae941517ef5369f5d.jpg

This one appears to be on Bachmann frames.

LNERK24673.jpg.ad32e6247302c6b00a332b665c6f29a2.jpg

As does this one, though is the body Nu-Cast?

K2.jpg.99c28079a65652b42752cac7a60b2abe.jpg

Definitely all original Nu-Cast, but built by whom? 

Nu-CastK261760.jpg.ef7143a335308c1a15ca89725817a08a.jpg

This Nu-Cast K2 came to me as a bit of a wreck. I patched it up, then sold it to a friend on behalf of CRUK. 

Nu-CastK261745.jpg.2faa926e5c268b8476982cb7cdc62ce1.jpg

I built this when the Nu-Cast kit first came out, scratch-building a brass chassis for it. Though lacking detail, it's all my work.

61760K202.jpg.9c9316e2763b2682c0492f804924b75d.jpg

The latest Nu-Cast & Partners K2 is a different animal indeed. This was a test-build for the partners, and Geoff Haynes painted it. A pro-paint job as good as this enhances a model in great measure.

Nu-CastK261759.jpg.3dc61ec279521f362f7c559ffc792a47.jpg

This is the older Nu-Cast K2 (on proper frames) I sold to Gilbert Barnatt last week. My build and Geoff Haynes' painting. 

K261744.jpg.da702c3d0a735801581e0a445de07841.jpg

A scratch-built K2 by Ray Lightfoot.

Nu-CastGNRK2.jpg.faf93e9134cb9398e72f7c17e0064695.jpg

And an original Nu-Cast K2 in GNR guise. Again, I've forgotten who brought this.

Trainsrunning51K2.jpg.88ff399b9451a2de17c30c2ec0f7c234.jpg

Graeme King's resin K2 performed well during the 1938 LNER weekend. 

All things being equal............

LRMK2.jpg.fc45009f4c0df5d05ca422fbe8d3c977.jpg

The London Road K2 is probably the best, especially when painted by the likes of Ian Rathbone (note the new rods).

LondonRoadK2onDownstopper.jpg.060f8f43cff526255a10a6943eb7fdd5.jpg

It's a regular on Little Bytham. 

You pays your money and you takes your choice..................

Will there ever be an RTR K2, I wonder? Not that it matters to me.................

Regards,

Tony. 

Good Morning Tony,

Apologies for such a late reply. 

I think I will go with the Nu-cast kit, although I have a C7 to build, a B16 and also finish of the C9-which is running by the way, just stalled pending other projects. 

I think an RTR K2 could be possible by Bachmann. They’ve built a K3 and a C1 which is almost the basic requirements for GN parts….. who knows.

I will eventually get myself a kit and If it’s built a before an RTR one is made hooray, if it isn’t, I’ll still more than likely build it anyway. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I think you're right in that HYCILLA was a comparatively late-recipient of a Dia. 118 boiler (with streamlined dome). She (and she was a filly) also kept a rimmed chimney until quite late. 

Sired by Hyperion, so a good Gresley pedigree!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Mick,

'The A2/1 Dome looks a strange/unusual  shape.'

It was what Jamieson provided 47 years ago! It's staying put.

Unless it's due to camera parallax, it looks as if your 508 is gazing at the stars at the front end.

Regards,

Tony. 

Camera and a slightly sagging Track.

12 hours ago, sandra said:

Hello Tony,

I have posted a few photographs on here which have the houses in West Carr road in the background. John McCrea has been building these houses for some time. I am pleased to say that the houses themselves are now finished although they still need front gardens.

Here is a photo of the houses:

IMG_1410.jpeg.34d20acb62618f7ec3bc4c45ebdf93d8.jpegI must thank John for his hard work in building this impressive row of terraced houses. As they still exist today John has visited them a few times to get details right. They still form the backdrop to the real railway today but now there is a lot more vegetation between the houses and the railway.

Heres another photo of the houses but with a train passing in front.IMG_1415.jpeg.0aafa808fa687eb944240268b2dfeaaa.jpeg

This is a new Locomotive for Retford on test. It is passing along the down goods line with the 14 coach stock of the Northumbrian. The locomotive is built from a DMR kit and is to become 61616 Fallodon. It’s now virtually complete but obviously still needs painting.

Sandra

Good morning Sandra,

The West Carr Road properties are certainly impressive; a testament to a most-diligent modeller. 

JohnMcrea01.jpg.67ffa722fae8429ebb3a217cbf2febeb.jpg

At the end of April 2015, John was preparing the groundwork..................

JohnMcrea04.jpg.6159c0b629ec77ecbd11c6b9e14dc220.jpg

And carefully plotting the houses' positions, some of which are seen to the right. 

That's a rather nice breakdown train in front as well.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 17

19 minutes ago, micklner said:

Camera and a slightly sagging Track.

I'm not sure about the camera Mick,

The usual 'problems' with wide-angle shots like this are 'diverging verticals' (seen on the coaling stage behind, and the leading edge of the deflector). However, this doesn't completely explain the fact that the deflector handrails are not parallel with those on the boiler and the footplate leans upwards so much at the front. 

May I suggest you take a three-quarter front view of the loco, please? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm not sure about the camera Mick,

The usual 'problems' with wide-angle shots like this are 'diverging verticals' (seen on the coaling stage behind, and the leading edge of the deflector). However, this doesn't completely explain the fact that the deflector handrails are not parallel with those on the boiler and the footplate leans upwards so much at the front. 

May I suggest you take a three-quarter front view of the loco, please? 

Regards,

Tony. 

On the flatish. If you look at the "wood" edge of the Bookcase in photo 2 its far from level..

IMG_6157.jpeg.d4b7e81b325eefffddfb1292f860945d.jpeg

My little camera is useless at 3/4 photos most will out of focus for most of the length.

While I am here as she is getting lots of photos done. One built from a few years ago and never shown before on here . My DJH Hycilla . The handrails etc are level, its the camera again for the most part. You can find minute changes of angle on her as well . Same applies to virtually all models and basic cameras .

IMG_6162.jpeg.b1069ea169bade0c4ef006b0ee3dad74.jpeg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
On 17/07/2023 at 08:04, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Paul,

Your conclusive videos certainly prove your point. 

I take it they're new dead-frog points? Since I haven't investigated such things for many years, from what I remember of the points from decades ago, the whole frog was made of plastic (Peco 'universal'?). Yours seem to have metal components. Does this aid the running? 

snip

Live frogs might not be a necessity, but, to me, they're desirable.

Regards,

Tony.  

Hi Tony, taking the last point first, I certainly agree. I have found in my time some almost evangelical preachers that ‘live frogs’ are the only path! My experiences as seen are evidence that they’re not necessary for good running.

Regarding the track on my layouts Albion Yard and Shelfie’s 1&2 used Peco Cd75 streamline electrofrog points. These have metal V crossings even though I used them with blade contact only, and their appearance is far better than their plastic dead frog counterparts.

Shelfie3 uses the ‘new’ Peco Cd75 bullhead track and point work with the Unifrog design. These have been problem free despite plenty of wibble being thrown about that they are poorly designed. I’ve run in excess of 80 different locomotives RTR/kit through them with no problem. There is an issue if you have back to backs too tight, but that’s an easy one to solve, adjust B2B to 14.5 and no issues.

Heres film of DCC testing with no problems from types reported to be a problem. There will be a full listing on my blog in due course of the type’s trialled.

On 17/07/2023 at 08:04, Tony Wright said:

These are just taped down and dead frog configuration. All point types work well large/medium and crossings. 

Edited by PMP
  • Like 6

On 23/07/2023 at 20:15, sandra said:

Hello Tony,

I have posted a few photographs on here which have the houses in West Carr road in the background. John McCrea has been building these houses for some time. I am pleased to say that the houses themselves are now finished although they still need front gardens.

Here is a photo of the houses:

IMG_1410.jpeg.34d20acb62618f7ec3bc4c45ebdf93d8.jpegI must thank John for his hard work in building this impressive row of terraced houses. As they still exist today John has visited them a few times to get details right. They still form the backdrop to the real railway today but now there is a lot more vegetation between the houses and the railway.

Heres another photo of the houses but with a train passing in front.IMG_1415.jpeg.0aafa808fa687eb944240268b2dfeaaa.jpeg

This is a new Locomotive for Retford on test. It is passing along the down goods line with the 14 coach stock of the Northumbrian. The locomotive is built from a DMR kit and is to become 61616 Fallodon. It’s now virtually complete but obviously still needs painting.

Sandra

It was interesting to see those houses because one set of my great-grandparents lived in a terrace in Retford.  Their house was in Queen Street on the east side of the railway so unlikely to appear on the model.  According to the 1901 census my grandmother was 6y/o and her two sisters were aged three and one.  In fact my great aunt was actually born on 1st January 1900!  Father often recalled going to Retford to visit and stay with his grandparents in the 20s and 30s and of course the LNER was a memorable feature of these visits.  My great-great grandparents live 100yds away in Cobwell Road.

Incidentally the page from the census showing my great-grandfather's family also shows that next door lived a 57 y/o railway engine driver and his 26 y/o son, a railway engine stoker.  Next door but two lived a railway clerk and further down lived another railway engine stoker and a railway engine fireman (are they one and the same job or was there a distinction on the Great Northern?).   Amongst the various professions and occupations listed.  One neighbour's occupation was given as Fitter/Tomb Railing, I don't think there are so many of those around nowadays!

Edited by Adam88
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

On 24/07/2023 at 01:25, Jesse Sim said:

Good Morning Tony,

Apologies for such a late reply. 

I think I will go with the Nu-cast kit, although I have a C7 to build, a B16 and also finish of the C9-which is running by the way, just stalled pending other projects. 

I think an RTR K2 could be possible by Bachmann. They’ve built a K3 and a C1 which is almost the basic requirements for GN parts….. who knows.

I will eventually get myself a kit and If it’s built a before an RTR one is made hooray, if it isn’t, I’ll still more than likely build it anyway. 

Good morning Jesse,

No apologies required. 

The new Nu-Cast & Partners K2 is a very good kit indeed, and one well within your construction capabilities. 

newNu-CastK215.jpg.fbf775727bc240b7ca336427c935c448.jpg

It makes up very well.

newNu-CastK218.jpg.cf97ca2d4b1a682989bc8c235f94c563.jpg

And looks good when finished, especially with a pro-paint job from the likes of Geoff Haynes. 

If you can get an older Nu-Cast K2 kit, then make sure it has a brass set of frames rather than a white metal lump. 

Nu-CastK2chassis.jpg.e014a8014e0b34913832f13e4b9126e0.jpg

When I built the Nu-Cast K2 kit when it first came out in the '70s, I scratch-built a chassis for it - from traditional 'battleship' brass, rather devoid of detail. It's what one did at the time, all those years ago long before you were born. 

It still runs well.

LRMK2.jpg.8856c8d5a6300fa320d3852a17f49df7.jpg

Of course, the 'crispest' K2 can be made from the London Road K2 (in this case, painted by Ian Rathbone), but there is a discrepancy between the coupling rods and the bearings in the frames. It would seem not to be an issue if compensation/springing is employed (as prescribed in the instructions), but for a rigid chassis, I made new rods. 

An RTR K2 in OO any time? I very much doubt it, but who knows? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Carrying on the coments on the  LNER/BR  A2/1 locos .....

I have just purchased this kit built (PDK)  model of 60510   .....  from the owner of the 'Haymarket' shed which

has a thread on RMWeb ...  Needless to say, I am very pleased with the loco ....

Now need to remove the steps on my model of 60508 !!

IMG_6572.jpg.d3250581c6d84b1efa0447e91c224eb2 (1).jpg

• Like 15

22 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

Carrying on the coments on the  LNER/BR  A2/1 locos .....

I have just purchased this kit built (PDK)  model of 60510   .....  from the owner of the 'Haymarket' shed which

has a thread on RMWeb ...  Needless to say, I am very pleased with the loco ....

Now need to remove the steps on my model of 60508 !!

IMG_6572.jpg.d3250581c6d84b1efa0447e91c224eb2 (1).jpg

It is a lovely model indeed; beautifully-built and painted.

A couple of points, if may?

The return crank appears to lean the wrong way on this side - it should lean forward at bottom dead centre (both sides) - and it'll be worth adding the wiggly pipes on the smokebox.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/07/2023 at 15:30, davidw said:

Hi Tony, the 60508 that you attribute to Andy is mine no idea to whom 60507 belongs. The boiler still sits too high and will need attention at some point. I'm tempted to approach Pdk for  a new loco body to rebuild do it. The brass, resin and white metal construction was a real pain. It runs nicely though 

I have one very similiar which I bought from Tony. I believe it was ex Gamston Bank.

60508.jpeg.a686b6ebd0a3ba23f3ca09ecbe0a058c.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
On 23/07/2023 at 08:33, robertcwp said:

I did hear mention somewhere of solid state things existing that work on DC but I have not identified any. The DCC Concepts item about diamond crossing wiring caught my eye as I have a dead frog diamond on my DC layout and have been thinking of relaying with a live frog one but sorting out the switching has rather put me off. In this regard, DCC is much easier.

Now for the revelation: I have begun work on a new layout which will be DCC. It will not replace my existing one - the new one will be much smaller. I plan to use frog juicers throughout but have read of others having problems with Peco 3-way points, of which I have one planned to go in the fiddleyard. All the 'on scene' track will be the new Peco bullhead type, where the points were designed with DCC in mind.

I have no immediate plans to convert my existing, and now rather old and tired, layout to DCC but if I decide at some point to refurbish it, conversion may happen.

I have a Peco code 100 3 way electrofrog controlled by two Gaugemaster Autofrogs (ref: DCC80). It was dead simple to wire up and works perfectly.

Andy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Jesse,

No apologies required. 

The new Nu-Cast & Partners K2 is a very good kit indeed, and one well within your construction capabilities. 

newNu-CastK215.jpg.fbf775727bc240b7ca336427c935c448.jpg

It makes up very well.

newNu-CastK218.jpg.cf97ca2d4b1a682989bc8c235f94c563.jpg

And looks good when finished, especially with a pro-paint job from the likes of Geoff Haynes. 

If you can get an older Nu-Cast K2 kit, then make sure it has a brass set of frames rather than a white metal lump. 

Nu-CastK2chassis.jpg.e014a8014e0b34913832f13e4b9126e0.jpg

When I built the Nu-Cast K2 kit when it first came out in the '70s, I scratch-built a chassis for it - from traditional 'battleship' brass, rather devoid of detail. It's what one did at the time, all those years ago long before you were born. 

It still runs well.

LRMK2.jpg.8856c8d5a6300fa320d3852a17f49df7.jpg

Of course, the 'crispest' K2 can be made from the London Road K2 (in this case, painted by Ian Rathbone), but there is a discrepancy between the coupling rods and the bearings in the frames. It would seem not to be an issue if compensation/springing is employed (as prescribed in the instructions), but for a rigid chassis, I made new rods. 

An RTR K2 in OO any time? I very much doubt it, but who knows? 

Regards,

Tony. 

I think the only thing that could deter me is the all the valve gear, I just haven’t done any before. 

I might build the B16 first, as I have the wheels for it. Then perhaps look at the K2. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It is a lovely model indeed; beautifully-built and painted.

A couple of points, if may?

The return crank appears to lean the wrong way on this side - it should lean forward at bottom dead centre (both sides) - and it'll be worth adding the wiggly pipes on the smokebox.

Regards,

Tony. 

deleted

Edited by micklner

6 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I think the only thing that could deter me is the all the valve gear, I just haven’t done any before. 

You speak for all of us who have had the same concerns, Jesse. Practice on some scrap first - drill some holes in narrow offcuts & have a go. Like most intricate jobs, there's a knack to it, but once you've done a few joints, you'll wonder what the fuss was all about!

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I have one very similiar which I bought from Tony. I believe it was ex Gamston Bank.

60508.jpeg.a686b6ebd0a3ba23f3ca09ecbe0a058c.jpeg

Good evening Andy,

I think it was ex-Gamston Bank, and I think John Houlden made it from bits of various kits and from scratch. 

It looks very good, though it's much cleaner than I ever remember seeing the real thing, which means my DUKE OF ROTHESAY is much too clean. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2