Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

32 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

Ive been to several museums since lockdown restrictions eased who operate on the principle of fixed arrival slots.  If it works for them, it will work for model rail shows.  Yes, you can’t control how long people will stay but let’s be frank.  Firstly, at crowded shows you can spend a lot of time waiting to get to see a layout.  Secondly, which would you prefer, no shows or shows with restrictions (with the caveat that some may still feel they don’t wish to attend/exhibit).  Thirdly, whatever system is in place you can pick holes in it.  Reopening stuff will be the art of compromise and accepting more risk relative to the option of just staying at home.  If timed entry slots help manage that risk, then great.  

David

Fixed arrival slots might be the way to go, David.

However will there be enough slots? By that I mean, won't it automatically limit the overall numbers?

Some shows operate on very fine margins (or have done) and if not enough folk attend because of slot restrictions, then financial ruin awaits. 

I agree, that at crowded shows (in the past) one often has to wait to see a layout; usually because there's a crowd around it, all members of it playing 'sardines'. With social distancing it should be possible to see a layout unrestricted, but there just won't be enough slots and not enough distancing space to make a show viable in my view. At least with the current restrictions.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 4

Lockdown has certainly reduced the number of boxes of unbuilt kits in the loft, This is my "50 Shades of Brown" ex-NER rake. The BY is the Isinglass kit which Tony built and reviewed recently. It went together well, though I'm not sure if the 3D W-irons will survive. It is my first attempt at worn teak, and least said the better, but I think it looks OK in the rake. The loco is a Bachmann J39/3 with a spare DJH ex-NER tender. The brake is Worsley Works, followed by a pair of D&S coaches.

Here it is stopped at the signals at Little Benton South box.  In my world, the van has come down  from Ashington and the Clerestory brake is probably the conveyancing coach for the pigeon fanciers. The van will be detached at Newcastle, and pigeon fanciers, almost certainly pitmen, will join a train headed south. In this case the destination will be Banbury. The pigeons will get home long before their owners.

IMG_20200818_195904.jpg.a8acaa2f757076b9d1a34f7e5e3b8ef7.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, mullie said:

I hope the hobby will evolve as it has always done. I remember as a teenager taking the Ongar MRCs model of near to a local fete where it attracted quite a crowd because it had local interest.

Hi Martyn,

We have a modeller in our club who models in T gauge. He owns a spectacular model of the Pass of Killiecrankie in T gauge and is also a member of an art club. After some very impassioned discussion he persuaded the art club to let him show the fully working layout at their annual art exhibition, because what is modelling if not art.  It attracted masses of attention and they have invited it back several times since. 

I've been to exhibitions with it as an operator several times and often people will stop and say something like "I've been there. Look, I've been in that building.". That is, I think, the joy of modelling an actual prototype. When combined with the novelty of a T gauge layout its a good recipe for success.

Regards,

Archie

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Fixed arrival slots might be the way to go, David.

However will there be enough slots? By that I mean, won't it automatically limit the overall numbers?

Some shows operate on very fine margins (or have done) and if not enough folk attend because of slot restrictions, then financial ruin awaits. 

I agree, that at crowded shows (in the past) one often has to wait to see a layout; usually because there's a crowd around it, all members of it playing 'sardines'. With social distancing it should be possible to see a layout unrestricted, but there just won't be enough slots and not enough distancing space to make a show viable in my view. At least with the current restrictions.

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony

I agree that the finances may not work. I’ve not been close enough to organising a show to understand how the numbers need to stack up.  It may be that if numbers are restricted, the entry price needs to go up.  I suspect that would work better for a large, more commercial show than a village hall style arrangement.

I’ve booked to take the boys to Didcot next week, timed 11am slot, and onto the SVR on Thursday.  The SVR has been quite innovative.  You book a compartment for the day.  The train pauses at Highley for 90, I think minutes, to allow a visit to the museum and for two hours in Bridgnorth.  The other trains look to be timed so as there’s only one train in a station at a time.  Compartment cost is £75 for the day which is relatively expensive for three but given its a cause I’m happy to support I don’t mind.  Although I’m a GWS member, I’ll pay for my entrance and gift aid it for the same reason.  Clearly both these sites are quite large and easy to social distance within (and a compartment lends itself perfectly to that purpose.)

I suspect my attitude to a model show would be similar whereby I’d be prepared to pay a bit more recognising both that I may get an enhanced experience if I don’t have to fight my way to the front, shove older son in and then have younger son on shoulders so as he can see as well as realising that the organiser may have more costs to cover.

What could a show look like?  A smaller number of larger, big draw layouts with large frontages that people are prepared to pay to see.  A dozen people crowded around a micro layout seems challenging.  Heaton lodge or some of those other large O gauge layouts (the Settle one or Hessle Harbour Bridge) might work well as would larger OO layouts like Grantham or parade layouts like Horfield.  A couple of demo stations, with screens, unfortunately, between people and the demonstrator and a limited number of higher quality traders.  It may need some commercial sponsorship or perhaps museum sponsorship, providing an additional draw to the layouts in any event, who might be better placed to take some of the financial risks your rightly highlight.

Whether a show is possible with today’s rules, I don’t know.  However, there will be a tipping point where they are possible before we reach completely unrestricted rules, hopefully, again.  It feels to me that it’s a case where perfection shouldn’t rule out good enough.

David

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Clearwater said:

Ive been to several museums since lockdown restrictions eased who operate on the principle of fixed arrival slots.  If it works for them, it will work for model rail shows.  Yes, you can’t control how long people will stay but let’s be frank.  Firstly, at crowded shows you can spend a lot of time waiting to get to see a layout.  Secondly, which would you prefer, no shows or shows with restrictions (with the caveat that some may still feel they don’t wish to attend/exhibit).  Thirdly, whatever system is in place you can pick holes in it.  Reopening stuff will be the art of compromise and accepting more risk relative to the option of just staying at home.  If timed entry slots help manage that risk, then great.  

Timed entry may well be the way to go but I still think you'd need timed exits as well otherwise you turn up at the allotted time to be told you can't go in as there are still the maximum number of people allowed in the venue and you end up standing in the pouring rain until enough people leave.  This then has a knock on effect down as they day goes on.

Of course, the problem with timed exits is that people may not feel that they are getting value for money.  So, last year, your £10 entry fee got you a full day at the show, if you have timed exits it may only get you two hours for example...

I don't have the answer, I suspect, for now at least, none of us have and it may well be that the shows that open first try methods that either work or don't and shows later then have the chance to adapt.

John

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, johndon said:

Timed entry may well be the way to go but I still think you'd need timed exits as well otherwise you turn up at the allotted time to be told you can't go in as there are still the maximum number of people allowed in the venue and you end up standing in the pouring rain until enough people leave.  This then has a knock on effect down as they day goes on.

Of course, the problem with timed exits is that people may not feel that they are getting value for money.  So, last year, your £10 entry fee got you a full day at the show, if you have timed exits it may only get you two hours for example...

I don't have the answer, I suspect, for now at least, none of us have and it may well be that the shows that open first try methods that either work or don't and shows later then have the chance to adapt.

John

John

Timed exits don’t work save for very planned venues where you are effectively on a one way walkthrough where numbers can be precisely controlled, Jorvik springs to mind.  Restaurants operate on a similar basis where you may find you have a table for a two hour slot.  Pre lockdown, I know of London restaurants and bars that operate on that basis.

There are two issues.  One, overall number of people in a venue.  Two, the concentration of those people within it and their ability to maintain social distance.  If you have timed entrances, you can control the rate at which people arrive thus limiting the concentration at peak points, eg entrance.  It also allows people to spread out through the venue as people move away from the entrance.  Yes, people arriving later may feel they are getting less value than those arriving earlier but there have to be compromises if you want to open at all.  If you were being imaginative, you might deal with the value for money point by making morning slot tickets more expensive than afternoon ones.  Overall, the pricing structure would look to recoup a target amount.    Back to the first issue, if the venue can hold say 1,000 people max at any one time you sell 1,000 tickets.  It’s all prebooked and it would be a public relations nightmare to turn people away who had an arrival slot but the venue was full.  In other words, you wouldn’t put yourself in that position.

Didcot is operating on a basis of timed entrances.  The screenshot shows how availability varies for this coming Saturday.  As a consumer, you have the choice to make the trade off between length of visit and length of arrival and it appears that you can’t buy tickets beyond a certain time.  I appreciate a fixed open air museum is different to a show but it illustrates the principle of how access can be managed.  The museums I’ve visited to date, eg IWM Duxford, have timed entry, have closed some contained spaces and made popular space limited exhibits such as the Concorde interior on further timed tickets.  That’s their solution and, whilst not ideal, at least allows the site to function.

The organisers would need to give thought to a floor plan that allowed socially distanced viewing spots with blanked off sections with a queuing system to allow fair access.  I agree this puts up the cost and might make some shows not financially viable.  It wouldn’t be the same experience as any show prior to March 2020 but if the alternative is no show, people will have the option to put up or simply not attend.  

I agree with you that there’s no clear solution but let’s not fall into the trap of looking for the problems but look for potential ways in which some semblance of normality can be recreated. 

David

98C93A3C-328B-46E0-BF76-D788009F05BF.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It's being clever at contriving, Steve. Contriving to seek out what others have done, sift through it, then choose what suits you the best. 

Anyway, if you borrow ideas off someone else, that suggests they should be given back. 

In all my modelling, I don't think I've ever had a truly original idea. However, I've been lucky enough to have had some remarkable mentors from whom I've selected ideas and methods which best suit me, effectively combining things to produce something which 'works'. If there is any ingenuity about it, it's to combine methods/techniques/ideas which might not have been tried together before, though, truly, 'there is nothing new under the sun'. 

The most important thing from this in my view is to always appreciate and value the work of those who've 'shown the way' so to speak. Then, once that's understood, try to show others how to do things as well, always acknowledging those to whom you (the generic 'you') are indebted. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Tony. Getting this second C1 this far has relied on the suggestions of Jerry Clifford, Tim Watson, as well as numerous articles published in the 2mm Magazine. It was Jerry and Tim who convinced me to redesign the radial truck and tender chassis to make them split frame as well as improving the stability of the loco(s). This completely changed the performance of the first C1, 4452, and has now been repeated with 4436 (and hopefully soon 3286).

4436 underwent haulage trials today on my temporary test loop.

After this video was taken (sorry about the background TV noise), 4436 successfully took fifteen coaches around the loop - the formation occupied 3/4 of the loop! Hadley Wood's fiddle yard can only accommodate a maximum of twelve coaches and besides, 4436 is more likely to find duties on the five coach 'Cambridge Buffet' set.

I made up the front vacuum pipe this evening and will hopefully fit it, along with the remaining details, tomorrow.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

A very valid analysis Tony.  It is possible that we are dealing with a virus that is less intelligent than influenza.  So vaccines could be fairly effective but there will still be mutations and people will still get Covid.    The World Health Organisation will struggle to get vaccines to some countries and also we have the conspiracy theorists who will ensure the virus survives.

We are in an ambiguous situation in this country.  The relaxation of the lockdown is allowing the virus to spread, but mainly to a younger cohort who are less impacted by the effects.  The elder generation, which includes most of Wright Writes, are taking precautions and are mostly avoiding being infected.   Not that the government has a clue, they have spent six months not implementing a testing regime or a recording system; and have ensured that those who want to (such as local authorities) don't have the resources to achieve them.  So a question, is there a system to ensure that returnees from France actually self isolate for 14 days?

So the Wright Writes generation is socially distancing; avoiding beaches, pubs and model railway exhibitions.  I think we will continue until we are confident in the vaccines.   Then some of us will decide the Covid morbidity risk is too high and will never attend an exhibition.  

The person opposite me at Waterloo is planning the influenza vaccination programme.  No one wants to get Covid and influenza concurrently - that could well be fatal - so please, please, will EVERYBODY HAVE THEIR FLU JAB.

Bill

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

John

Timed exits don’t work save for very planned venues where you are effectively on a one way walkthrough where numbers can be precisely controlled, Jorvik springs to mind.  Restaurants operate on a similar basis where you may find you have a table for a two hour slot.  Pre lockdown, I know of London restaurants and bars that operate on that basis.

There are two issues.  One, overall number of people in a venue.  Two, the concentration of those people within it and their ability to maintain social distance.  If you have timed entrances, you can control the rate at which people arrive thus limiting the concentration at peak points, eg entrance.  It also allows people to spread out through the venue as people move away from the entrance.  Yes, people arriving later may feel they are getting less value than those arriving earlier but there have to be compromises if you want to open at all.  If you were being imaginative, you might deal with the value for money point by making morning slot tickets more expensive than afternoon ones.  Overall, the pricing structure would look to recoup a target amount. . 

David

98C93A3C-328B-46E0-BF76-D788009F05BF.png

Ive clipped David’s post above, and I think he’s on the right lines. I’m positive we’re going to see exhibitions in the future but the commercial structure and model will need to change. Timed entry and exits could be a way forward. Ticket valid 9-11 with full clearance of punters at 11. Ticket 2 valid 11:15-13:15 then full clearance and so on. Fifteen mins for traders/organisers/exhibitiors to ‘wipe down’ and reset. Pre booked ticket means you could buy all day entry by buying sequential tickets, it’s no loss to organiser, they’ve still got the entry fee. Prices will go up due to restrictions on numbers in venue and requirement to cover cost. Perhaps more smaller layouts would make this easier (space allowing). More exhibits to see so less crowded. Expenses (Layout) and trade stand rates would need revision too, but a new business model is probably required short to medium term for a ‘live’ show. 

Obviously the first show that tries this sort of revision will be accused online within nanoseconds, of profiteering, and model railways is a rich mans hobby. 

I am being positive, I’ve tentatively accepted two exhibition invites for Shelfie2 for 2021. I’m a ‘key’ worker, so have to be cautious, if I didn’t trust the people behind the organisations, I wouldn’t have entertained the thought of exhibiting. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Timed Entries can work very well.

Back in the 80s even Sheffield Council had got that one sorted with their swimming pools.

"Can all swimmers wearing red wristbands please leave the pool" as they announced at the end of your session.

Simple and effective.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

Back in the 80s even Sheffield Council had got that one sorted with their swimming pools.

"Can all swimmers wearing red wristbands please leave the pool" as they announced at the end of your session.

Simple and effective.

Absolutely and I suspect that is they way that we will have to go.  It is, however, something that will take some getting used to given that, as I said, we are used to paying to get in to a show and then have the ability, should we wish, to spend all day at the show.

Don't anyone get me wrong, I want the shows to be viable again as soon as possible, I'm involved with a large exhibition layout that, unless shows start again, very few people will ever get to see...

John

Edited by johndon
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, LBRJ said:

Simple and effective.

Standard practice in swimming pools, from at least the 1960s, to avoid overcrowding.

John Isherwood,

(ex-lifeguard).

• RMweb Premium

It is rare for me to go to any show for a couple of hours. I can only recall a couple that I left in that sort of timescale as they were not to my liking.

A trip to a show usually means at least 4 or 5 hours in the show and if it is a good show I will happily spend all day and sometimes go back for a second day.

I have said before that I think there are too many shows and not enough good quality layouts and traders to fill them all.

I had got to the stage where seeing a new layout that impressed me was a rare thing. I have stashed so much model railway stuff over the years that purchases from traders were for things like glue and paint and not much else. So it was all about the social side, meeting up with good friends and also meeting those that I only crossed paths with a few times a year, always at shows.

The idea of going to a show for a fixed hour or two just doesn't appeal to me. If a show is a good one, which usually means meeting up with lots of good people, I can spend an hour catching up with one or two folk. A show, to me, is more of a day out, or at least a full afternoon, rather than a couple of hours to scoot round and leave.

Edited by t-b-g
To add content
  • Like 2
  • Agree 12

13 hours ago, Atso said:

Thank you Tony. Getting this second C1 this far has relied on the suggestions of Jerry Clifford, Tim Watson, as well as numerous articles published in the 2mm Magazine. It was Jerry and Tim who convinced me to redesign the radial truck and tender chassis to make them split frame as well as improving the stability of the loco(s). This completely changed the performance of the first C1, 4452, and has now been repeated with 4436 (and hopefully soon 3286).

4436 underwent haulage trials today on my temporary test loop.

After this video was taken (sorry about the background TV noise), 4436 successfully took fifteen coaches around the loop - the formation occupied 3/4 of the loop! Hadley Wood's fiddle yard can only accommodate a maximum of twelve coaches and besides, 4436 is more likely to find duties on the five coach 'Cambridge Buffet' set.

I made up the front vacuum pipe this evening and will hopefully fit it, along with the remaining details, tomorrow.

Good afternoon Steve,

I don't think there is a better pair to take advice from.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I suppose I'm rather antisocial - I tend to go to shows on my own and don't speak much, not knowing many people there. I imagine there are many in my position. So I find two or three hours in the afternoon - Sunday if a two-day show - suits me well and avoids the scrum. I tend to go to shows that are within easy driving distance - ExpoEM at Bracknell being the most convenient as only 20 mins away. The exception is Warley, where I usually spend the best part of a day on the Midland Railway Society stand, overcoming my reticence with complete strangers.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Like Jesse, I feel too that I'm hijacking the thread with some modelling...I liked the posts on cats (I don't have one now but did have one once)....!!

I thought I’d post an update on a 3 coach LSWR set I’m building…

The bodies are now painted; they are definitely bright!! They’re done with Humbrol 101 (thanks Al / Barry Ten) and, from memory, seem to be familiar with my recollections of the Hornby Mansell stock and the Battle of Britain locomotive that featured in the 1981 Hornby catalogue. If it wasn’t for the period I was modelling, they wouldn’t be in my first choice of colour. All being well, when numbered and varnished, ends painted, roofs, grab handles, etc are added, I hope they will tone down slightly. There will also be some weathering to do.

590346123_Roxey-LSWR-BodiesPainted.jpg.3e0560e5d5b8b34f70bb59adb6094354.jpg

The underframes are also done less the dynamos, there are a few additional (detachable) handbrake fittings to fit to the brake underframes after the bogies are attached.  These are sprayed with Vallejo Primer (German Panzer Grey) and will be dry brushed with dark brown to dirty them.

2015522783_RoxeyLSWR(2)-Underframes.jpg.402ce4bdc2a8eb6c2efade8955886cc2.jpg

The interiors are built, yet to be painted.

1258385462_Roxey-LSWRInteriors(1).jpg.ed870022937e71e10c673aa8c2493a58.jpg

All going well I can get the numbers added in the next evening or so and varnished over the weekend. Then next week will likely see them assembled and then, hopefully, a package from Wizard Models will arrive with the bits to start on the next coaches!

Kind regards,

Iain

Edited by Iain.d
To correct the typo you notice the second after submitting...
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

6 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Sorry for hijacking your thread again, but I thought you’d like to see these, especially as you helped paint them. 

Now it’s on to finish the Dolphin wagons and get that article of to BRM. 

65547715-2358-4958-984A-8A77B2B544AA.jpeg

They've turned out really nicely, Jesse,

Well done in lettering/branding them. Just a touch of weathering needed?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Iain.d said:

Like Jesse, I feel too that I'm hijacking the thread with some modelling...I liked the posts on cats (I did have one once though)....!!

I thought I’d post an update on a 3 coach LSWR set I’m building…

The bodies are now painted; they are definitely bright!! They’re done with Humbrol 101 (thanks Al / Barry Ten) and, from memory, seem to be familiar with my recollections of the Hornby Mansell stock and the Battle of Britain locomotive that featured in the 1981 Hornby catalogue. If it wasn’t for the period I was modelling, they wouldn’t be in my first choice of colour. All being well, when numbered and varnished, ends painted, roofs, grab handles, etc are added, I hope they will tone down slightly. There will also be some weathering to do.

590346123_Roxey-LSWR-BodiesPainted.jpg.3e0560e5d5b8b34f70bb59adb6094354.jpg

The underframes are also done less the dynamos, there are a few additional (detachable) handbrake fittings to fit to the brake underframes after the bogies are attached.  These are sprayed with Vallejo Primer (German Panzer Grey) and will be dry brushed with dark brown to dirty them.

2015522783_RoxeyLSWR(2)-Underframes.jpg.402ce4bdc2a8eb6c2efade8955886cc2.jpg

The interiors are built, yet to be painted.

1258385462_Roxey-LSWRInteriors(1).jpg.ed870022937e71e10c673aa8c2493a58.jpg

All going well I can get the numbers added in the next evening or so and varnished over the weekend. Then next week will likely see them assembled and then, hopefully, a package from Wizard Models will arrive with the bits to start on the next coaches!

Kind regards,

Iain

Good afternoon Iain,

Splendid work!

Why do folk think that they're hijacking this thread with illustrated posts about personal modelling? Nothing is further from the truth, so please, please more. 

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Iain,

Splendid work!

Why do folk think that they're hijacking this thread with illustrated posts about personal modelling? Nothing is further from the truth, so please, please more. 

Regards,

Tony.  

Thank you.

Sorry, I was teasing!!

Kind regards,

Iain

20 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

They've turned out really nicely, Jesse,

Well done in lettering/branding them. Just a touch of weathering needed?

Regards,

Tony. 

Very much indeed for some weathering, hopefully soon.

by chance did you get my email? 

33 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

It is rare for me to go to any show for a couple of hours. I can only recall a couple that I left in that sort of timescale as they were not to my liking.

A trip to a show usually means at least 4 or 5 hours in the show and if it is a good show I will happily spend all day and sometimes go back for a second day.

I have said before that I think there are too many shows and not enough good quality layouts and traders to fill them all.

I had got to the stage where seeing a new layout that impressed me was a rare thing. I have stashed so much model railway stuff over the years that purchases from traders were for things like glue and paint and not much else. So it was all about the social side, meeting up with good friends and also meeting those that I only crossed paths with a few times a year, always at shows.

The idea of going to a show for a fixed hour or two just doesn't appeal to me. If a show is a good one, which usually means meeting up with lots of good people, I can spend an hour catching up with one or two folk. A show, to me, is more of a day out, or at least a full afternoon, rather than a couple of hours to scoot round and leave.

I'm with you entirely on this one, Tony,

Since most of the shows I attend (or did attend) required my being a demonstrator/loco-doctor-judge, then I'd be there for the duration. 

So, how would I carry on doing such things under restrictions/social-distancing? With great difficulty. 

Much of my demonstrating was 'hands-on'. Take soldering, for instance. Often I'd hold the hand of someone who was holding the iron (you know what I mean); impossible now. I'd have to have all my equipment/tools sanitised beforehand, and then re-santised after anyone else used them.

As for loco-doctoring, would I have to sanitise the model before accepting it for examination? Then, if I've been successful in fixing it (or even if not), sanitise it before handing it back? 

I think it would be impossible - anyway, I just wouldn't be there...........

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 4

A couple of years ago my mate & I went to Liverpool Museum to see the Chinese Terra Cotta army exhibit. We had to pre-book online with a precise arrival time slot. On arrival there were perhaps around 30 people waiting for our time slot. Bang on time we were allowed inside, watched a video of the history then given (if I remember correctly) around 15 - 20 minutes to view the exhibit / take photos etc. It was well organised and run, and the time allotted and smallish number of people per slot was quite adequate, around half a hour total.

Whether such arrangements would work with a more complex model railway exhibition I do not know - 30 or so folk milling round an entrance door isn't very covid acceptable.  I'll miss Wigan exhibition this year, as will many.

Still, this year and it's mostly fine weather has had me busy doing all sorts of jobs on the layouts / around the house / cars etc.  Off to the pub soon for a half price steak pie and a pint  - Thanks Rishi (well, actually the taxpayer !!!!!).

I'm NOT looking forward to winter or Christmas though. I dread to think what awaits us this coming festive season.

Brit15

• Agree 2

Another day, another project.................

512183445_EMJ601.jpg.73111dcf9e1c68b02f2fe005252e7c42.jpg

One loco which would have been very common at Retford was a J6. I know the layout has at least one, but when I was last over, Sandra handed me the smokebox/boiler/spectacle plate of one which she'd found in a box full of various bits. There were also two part-completed footplates (no splashers) and an OO set of frames for a J6 (yes, OO!) which was compensated. 

The boiler assembly had all the hallmarks of the great man's work, but why a chassis in OO? 

Checking with the Isinglass drawing, the boiler is for an original 521 series, so I thought I'd give it a go and use it to speed up a J6 construction using a SE Finecast/Nu-Cast kit as a basis (which really makes-up more into a Gresley J6, though the longer cabsides are included).  I've made the SEF frames to OO width (easier to re-gauge should that ever be necessary), with washers to space out the wide gauge. This might be anathema to some, but it'll hardly be noticeable when the model is finished. As for the compensated set of frames.......................

At the moment, the smokebox saddle is too deep and I've got to radius the spectacle plate corners, but the workmanship in brass is excellent. 

I'll be making a London Road Models' tender for it, because the SEF one has an asymmetric wheelbase - unsuitable for an earlier J6. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1