Any other ways of controlling model trains?

There are no licence issues with 2.4GHz radio control, it uses the same frequency allocation as ordinary Wi-Fi. Radio control systems though are more sophisticated than Wi-Fi systems and so don't suffer from interference.

Frank

Hi,

Sorry, I didn't intend to imply that the user needed a license, I meant that the manufacturer needed to ensure the units were compliant with individual country's requirements (Ofcom in the UK). As a user,  you can also run into legal issues if you mix and match different units with 2.4Ghz. I'm also not sure if gear licensed in USA is compliant for use within the UK, or elsewhere.

Afaik, there is no requirement for and legal compliance with IR control, which opens it up to simple, probably low cost, independent, experimental solutions for the diy enthusiast. I'm not sure if there are any 'off the shelf' suppliers, however, but there are plenty of suitable components from microchip, etc.

This  diy dcc decoder http://www.dccdiy.org.uk/ would be relatively easy to modify to include an ir detector, for example, and Ernesto's command station http://dcctrains.netne.net/Command%20Station1Eng.html could be easily modified to power a number of ir transmitters. Having done that, you could either use batteries in the locos, or power the track to charge the loco batteries, or use a higher voltage through the track to hopefully overcome the usual dirty track problems (with suitable loco mounted voltage regulation, etc.)

If a lower cost, even more diy solution was wanted, then replace the command station with a tv remote, (or tablet pc with ir) and if required have slave ir repeaters. You would have to reverse engineer the tv remote protocol, and write suitable code for the loco decoder, but why make things easy for yourself?   :no:

Best wishes,

Ray

Hi Ray,

All I meant to convey is that 2.4Ghz radio control is already widely available and I already have my NGauge trains working with battery powered radio control. There is no need to wait for future IR developments.

Incidentally if you could include an IR receiver in a DCC module it should be equally easy to include a 2.4Ghz wireless receiver which would be more versatile and more "standard".

However if you can include individual receivers in locomotives the need for DCC seems to evaporate completely.

...R 

• 1 year later...

Probably time for another thread, but, the Radio Control mentioned above, does it fail safe at stop if it loses signal, or does it continue at the same speed etc?

What to use for an aerial? 

My OO garden layout has a max distance of 50 feet approx between main station and furthest part of layout and there is no line of sight and there is a 3 meter tunnel through soil so trains need to continue at the same speed when they lose signal.

My locos are Lima Diesels with replacement motors like "model torque"  but literally from scrapped CD players, they work as well on 2 X AA cells as Lima standard motors do on 6 X AA cells giving a 37 similar performance to a Bachmann Standard class 5  4-6-0 both speed and haulage power.  7 Mk 1 coaches up a 1 in 36  or 5 Mk 2 up a 1 in 14.

I did't manage to dig out the outside railway this summer but a radio control on board rheostat system is planned.

Probably time for another thread, but, the Radio Control mentioned above, does it fail safe at stop if it loses signal, or does it continue at the same speed etc?

What to use for an aerial? 

My OO garden layout has a max distance of 50 feet approx between main station and furthest part of layout and there is no line of sight and there is a 3 meter tunnel through soil so trains need to continue at the same speed when they lose signal.

My locos are Lima Diesels with replacement motors like "model torque"  but literally from scrapped CD players, they work as well on 2 X AA cells as Lima standard motors do on 6 X AA cells giving a 37 similar performance to a Bachmann Standard class 5  4-6-0 both speed and haulage power.  7 Mk 1 coaches up a 1 in 36  or 5 Mk 2 up a 1 in 14.

I did't manage to dig out the outside railway this summer but a radio control on board rheostat system is planned.

Continues at same speed but if signal is lost will slow to a halt. there is a 'cruise control' which will allow the loco to continue. This MIGHT help?

Aerial built in.

not sure about 50 feet, needs checking.

Hi David,

The aerial is not a problem at 2.4GHz as its only a few cm long and just a piece of wire attached to the board. You can I think add a bigger aerial which might help with the range if necessary.

I have used the Deltang radio control system when the loco was out of sight but with 009 this isn't so far, maybe 30 ft indoors.

It would be worth asking Dave T what he thought about the range, his email is on the website and he usually responds fairly quickly.

As Davdtheroad says, the loco continues for a few seconds then halts if it loses signal, but can be programmed to continue on at the same speed if that was what you wanted.

Hope this helps

Frank

Archived