Edingthorpe colliery

Muddle and Get Nowhere

Hello I am a junior modeller and currently under construction in my parents garage is my first proper railway layout.

Edingthorpe colliery is a ficticous coal mine set near to the derby-notts border,north east derbyshire,1963.When the oo gauge layout is complete it will include all the main fetures of a pit,these are:the upcast/downcast headgear,shaft buildings,winder houses,screens,loco sheds/facilities,sidings and a washery.As it is the layout has not got that far yet,nearly all the track has been laid and is working but out of all the buildings to make,only the washery has begun construction,I hope to finish it soon.All the track is Hornby using both the bronze? and the nickel silver track.

Will post pics and more info later.

Rory

• 3 months later...

Sorry for lack of posts posts these past few months.Progress on the layout slowed to a halt shortly after the last post was made and has only just resumed.I have made some modifications to the plan so that the washery has been moved back towards the screens.Work will now proceed on the layout once more and I hope to finish the screens and add some scenics (dirt and coal dust) soon.

Here are some pictures of the screens which I am currently working on,the washery will be located the the right of them where the tower (or rather, water funnel) has been temporarily placed.There will be a conveyor running from the front of the screens to the washery this has been represented in the pictures with a long piece of polystyrene.

72f1x4.jpg

The building on the far left is the aprox location of the  future shaft house and headstock:

4uw039.jpg

I will try to keep you updated but as I said above,progress is predicted to be slow.

Comments welcome.

Today I have been experimenting with soil as the main scenic for the layout,I have seen another person use this on their layout and the end effect looked fine.

I spread fine soil over a small section of the layout, then dripped the 50:50 ratio PVA and water mixture onto it finishing off with a moderate sprinkling of coal dust,perhaps I should add more. It still hasn't dried yet but heres a picture of it:

293d6i0.jpg

Ive only done this on a small section of the layout because it is an experiment,Im not sure how it will turn out when dry.I can always lift it if it doesn't look right.The soil to the left hand side of the track is very light because I haven't added any PVA and water to it.I know its messy but this could only be temporary,so I am not looking to perfect it until I know it wether it will be permanent or not.

Any thoughts?

Hi

I have used soil on my layout and will be doing so again in the near future, in the station area I would use either cork or card to build up the ground level between the tracks stuck down with something like Evostick and then brush a diluted PVA mix over it before sprinkling the soil over it. As the soil soaks up the glue some areas will appear damp again and either more soil or coal dust can be added, I sometimes use a spray bottle to add more glue if more material is needed. A good sweep up or vacuum then clears it to assess how it looks to see what needs adding/changing.

It will be good to see how yours turns out once dry.

Jim

The past four days Ive mainly spent planning my other colliery buildings - and also revising for an english exam in may! The soil on the layout has dried but I think it is too light, I will try to find a darker shade or perhaps just spray paint it dark brown,adding coal dust afterwards.

Heres some pictures of what the soil looks like when dry:

dob77o.jpg

6s4zg2.jpg

I have built a temporary fiddle yard at the other end of the layout to add a bit more fun to the layout when I 'play trains':

Sorry about the quality in this one.

a0dou9.jpg

Progress on the screens has been put on hold because I've run out of Plastruct girders, which are vital and the first things to go on the building before anything else.It is really is frustrating...

Rory, I hope you won't mind me saying that the soil looks a little too coarse, did you sieve it first? I can't help but think that DIY filler (Polyfilla etc.), suitably stippled and textured, might be a better option.

Otherwise, it looks to be a great project, and I look forward to seeing more updates. And I hope that we're going to be seeing plenty of wheezing worn out Austerities working hard!

Thanks and I do agree with you halfwit the soil is rather lumpy, its another reason I am lifting it.And no, I didn't sieve it ,although I wanted to,I don't have a sieve.Perhaps I should opt for your polyfilla option, but I think I might give it one more try first.The thing is, it all comes down to money.I have a very limited budget for the railway from my parents so I cant always afford to buy the things I need straight away (such as polyfilla), this is also the reason for the 'slow progress'.

I also hope to get another two RTR Hornby austerities and some fifty minerals to complete the scene.

Cheers

Rory

Archived