Image upload quality falls off

Hi,

I uploaded a suitable quite sharp image off 200-250kb today and it appears much more fuzzy than similar attached to replies in the Bachmann D11/1 thread today... attached here for your info.

Not sure why the quality goes down at the moment in the Bachmann thread... pics included earlier seem ok.

Cheers,

Rob

post-7929-0-52356000-1353558096_thumb.jpg

It goes through a re-sizing to create an optimum width for forum display and some reduction in resolution Rob; in this case the reduction from 900 pixels to 800 pixels could be having some effect. Clicking on the image should show the original as uploaded.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

The resizing to 800 wide is using a greater level of jpeg compression:

original 900 x 517 @ 199.29KB

resized 800 x 460 @ 70.49KB

The pixel count reduction is 79% (465,300 to 368,000).

But the file size reduction is much greater at 35%, (199.29KB to 70.49KB) i.e. more than double the % pixel count reduction, indicating the forum resizing is applying a greater jpeg compression factor, for a fuzzier result.

It would probably be better to do your own reduction to 800 or just under before uploading. Your original will then be used as-is.

Here it is resized by me to 798 width @ 157KB, i.e. a similar level of compression to your original:

post-1103-0-78194300-1353574720.jpg

regards,

Martin.

I think it is east to forget that with modern cameras a lot of our photos are high resolution ( just look at the disk space you use for photos) and most it not all forums do reduce the size and quality of photos rather than purchase a server farm!

If you require a high quality copy of and imagine in order to look at some specific detail a quick PM to the RMweb member requesting a a copy of the original photo might be a starting point.

XF

It goes through a re-sizing to create an optimum width for forum display and some reduction in resolution Rob; in this case the reduction from 900 pixels to 800 pixels could be having some effect. Clicking on the image should show the original as uploaded.

Ah, that explains thanks Andy... the 900 ---> 800 resize.. which meant extra compression, I have clicked on it and see that the original is as it should be, should have thought of that in the first place! I will reload it at 800 with 5% compression which will be ok. The originals are large at usually around 7000 pixels wide and 5-6MB. Can do any size but 800 is fine for everyday stuff. below at 800 and with sharpening. Thankyou also Martin.

Thanks for your clear explanation. Below is my 800 pixel re-size which I will put in the Bachmann D11/1 thread too.

Rob

post-7929-0-34430300-1353615508.jpg

Archived