Hi everyone,

I am currently planning a small layout which will fit onto boards measuring 6ft by 2ft. The idea, is that this can be set up anywhere in the house to avoid the extreme temperatures which I cuurently face with my attic layout.

This layout will contain various sidings perfect for shunting and will hopefully contain a small container siding and possibly a ballast or timber siding for my OTA wagons.

I hope to venture into creating some small hills and maybe a small road bridge on this layout, and if all goes well I will look at doing something similar with my larger attic layout.

Lastnight I printed off some Peco paper templates for code 100 track and with any luck I will have the boards tonight and then I can get on with designing the track layout.

Pictures to follow of the boards and the paper track templates in place, any suggestions on how to make the most out of the space would be greatly appreciated as I need to make this as fun to operate as possible. So, please feel free to comment once I have shown the track plan on how to improve it in terms of shunting capabilities.

I am hoping that it won't cost too much considering I already have the locos and rolling stock and some of the track and a controller.

That's all for now, thank you for reading.

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all,

I know it has been several months since I first mentioned this layout, but the wait is finally over!

The boards were eventually built 2 weeks ago and since then, the layout has started to take shape.

As with many layouts, this is still very much a work in progress and I will keep the updates coming as the layout develops.

For now, the backboards have been painted a sky blue colour and the base board an earth brown.

I have saved money by using my Hornby Select unit for control from my attic layout (Hanwoo Central) and most of the track is also from that layout.

Track is mainly Peco code 100 with just the odd piece of Hornby straight track.

For now, the track plan is working, but I am new to modelling in such a confined space and no doubt things will need to be altered in the near future.

The layout as it stands includes a TMD, an industrial unit, a fuelling point and a Network Rail depot.

Below are just a couple of photos to show the layout in its current format.

post-10188-0-66647900-1365847247_thumb.jpg

There are more photos, but unfortunately they are larger than 2MB! I will see what I can do, and post them as soon as I can.

Kind regards

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll be following this one closely! Out of interest, what were the issues you had in the loft? As someone wo is just about to start a major loft layout I'd be interested in knowing and possible issues!

Hi Matt,

The attic was a great place as it was so big, however as I don't own my house, I wasn't able to insulate it out properly which meant very cold winters and very hot summers.

Chris

Hi all,

Apologies for the lack of updates, but the layout has been progressing slowly. Below are just a couple of pics to show the different angles of the layout. Still plenty of work to do, but it keeps me entertained so I'm not in a rush.

Hopefully by this afternoon I will have completed building my ratio Traversing crane kit which I will then post on here.

Thanks for looking.

post-10188-0-32107900-1370940120.jpg

post-10188-0-50475300-1370940121.jpg

post-10188-0-46591600-1370940122.jpg

post-10188-0-29941400-1370940124.jpg

post-10188-0-43022000-1370940125.jpg

Chris

• 2 months later...

Archived