N C Keyser E Class Tram

hayfield

To add to my small collection of Keyser items I have hankered after an E Class Tram to go with the Tram loco and Karrier Road / Rail bus for some time, but never liked the prices they were fetching. This one came up for sale on Ebay and cost me £7.50 + £3 p&p

post-1131-0-62336200-1353751919_thumb.jpg

From what I can see the mechanism and one front piece is missing (I have 2 front bases but only 1 is in the photo) along with the advertising boards. In one way not too worried about the mechanism as they are not the best things in the world, I could fit a floor and hang a small flat motor under/into it, leaving most of the interior open for detailing.

I think all that is missing is the curved front end and the 2 advertising boards, neither will be the hardest things to replicate. But a plan would confirm whats missing and if anyone has any spares at a reasonable price I may be interested.

I guess I could buy a Corgie E class tram which would give me ideas for added detail

As far as I can see you have all the cast bits except one of the front dashes. There should be lugs cast into the inside of the sides. These held the original Mark II double-ended motor which drove the wheels (about 9mm diameter) with two small rubber bands.

Quite a useless mechanism as the rubber bands didn't grip the motor shaft or axles and the motor had to be running fast to get some "grip". Meadowcroft Models made a much better geared brass chassis for it, but nowadays you would be better with a Tenshodo motor bogie or one of the excellent Bec trucks now made by Ian Williams.

Frank

As far as I can see you have all the cast bits except one of the front dashes. There should be lugs cast into the inside of the sides. These held the original Mark II double-ended motor which drove the wheels (about 9mm diameter) with two small rubber bands.

Quite a useless mechanism as the rubber bands didn't grip the motor shaft or axles and the motor had to be running fast to get some "grip". Meadowcroft Models made a much better geared brass chassis for it, but nowadays you would be better with a Tenshodo motor bogie or one of the excellent Bec trucks now made by Ian Williams.

Frank

Frank

Thanks for that info, especially about the use of the lugs cast into the body sides and more importantly the wheel size. I do have a spare Mk 2 motor but I will not use it. I will buy a suitable quality small motor and mount it into a Copper-clad floor I intend using.

Thanks again as the information explains a lot

The BEC motorised tram chassis at £18 plus £2 postage is assembled and tested, and would be hard to beat. It is available with 28mm, 31mm, 32mm, 34mm, 38mm or 42mm wheelbase and 9mm or 10.5mm wheels. Both axles are geared.

Frank

Frank

Thanks for the steer, I have sent an email to the Tram Man as BEC kits do not have any info other than a link on their site.

I guess it should have a trolley pole but only seen pantographs on the BEC site.

Does any one have a plan I could see please

A good selection of trolley poles are listed in the "East Lancs Model Tram" catalogue, but they are not cheap. A working swivelling trolley head in 4mm scale is a precision piece of engineering!

The K's kit did not include any trolley. I had an early version of the tram kit and, like their wagon kits, did not come with instructions either! It should not be too difficult to assemble the parts. Solder the two body sides and bulkheads together, then add the platform extensions making sure they are level. The main roof casting can then be soldered to the assembled body. The only parts then remaining are the end dash panels (of which you only have one - make another from plasticard), and the clerestory roof which can be left loose.

K's did not supply any glazing or advert boards, but these could no doubt be added from plasticard.

If using a BEC or any other mechanism you will have to make up some form of bracket.

This K's kit was a true pioneer. The first UK tram kit to make up into a recognisable model. The only other products at the time were the Meadowcroft stamped brass parts. Then there were the Anbrico hand-made models. Lots more kits and models have appeared since!

Frank

Archived