Driver Only Operation - LNER Plan.

slilley

In the course of doing some research on another subject, I am picking up a few scraps of information that the LNER were looking at the possibility of Driver Only Operation had they completed the electrification of the Woodhead route.

Its not something I have seen too much about so just wondering what info people are already aware of out there on this.

Regards

Simon

• RMweb Premium

In the course of doing some research on another subject, I am picking up a few scraps of information that the LNER were looking at the possibility of Driver Only Operation had they completed the electrification of the Woodhead route.

Its not something I have seen too much about so just wondering what info people are already aware of out there on this.

Regards

Simon

Yes but I very much doubt the LNERs idea of DOO (no need for a fireman in an electric loco) is the same as what we have today (i.e no guard / conductor)

For Driver Only read Single Manning rather than One Man Operation, as a Guard would still be required!

Mark Saunders

Sorry chaps should have been a bit more specific, it is single manning rather than just the driver and there being no guard.

Also a technical paper I have seems to indicate that 6701 when in The Netherlands had air brakes and ETH, at least that what it appears to say. Again thoughts please.

Unsurprising that it had air brakes and ETH when in the Netherlands - if it didn't have them when in the UK they would have had to be fitted. Air braking became universal in Europe well before it was standardised in the UK, and I would guess the Netherlands had a largely electrified network even in the 60s so would have adopted electric heating, probably fed from a jumper socket connected to the 1500V supply.

The loco was fitted with both air and vacuum train brakes and a straight air brake for the loco only when it was built in 1941. The train air brakes were removed some time after it returned from the Netherlands in 1952, presumably because they would hardly have been used in normal service. Somewhat ironically, it was scrapped just as they were making a start on converting some of the production series engines to air braking.

Alan

Archived