Classic Commercials - road vehicle kits

chaz

I Googled "Classic Commercials" and got a lot of sites but nothing about this erstwhile range of white metal kits. I rather fancy a Scammel Scarab for Dock Green - but I think the only way to get a true 1:43 model is to kit build - or, indeed, scratchbuild. The latter is not an option - it would be a very tricky job (that curvy tractor unit). I do know that CC did a kit - I remember a nice account of a build in MRJ some time ago. I know that Corgi have done a Scarab but it is to 1:50 I believe and looks distinctly undersized on a 7mm layout.

Anybody know where this kit range went?

Chaz

I don't know the extent, but I suspect he's taken the lot. Just be aware that Adrian has bought up a number of model ranges but once the residual stocks have been exhausted doesn't always continue to produce the goods.

ABS will be at the Reading trade show on Saturday - if you're there you might ask him what his future plans are for the range.

I don't know the extent, but I suspect he's taken the lot. Just be aware that Adrian has bought up a number of model ranges but once the residual stocks have been exhausted doesn't always continue to produce the goods.

ABS will be at the Reading trade show on Saturday - if you're there you might ask him what his future plans are for the range.

I'm going to Reading so will ask Adrian about the Scammel. And, yes, I am aware that the ABS marque does sometimes seem like a black-hole.

Chaz

Hi Buckjumper,

That's useful to know. Do you know if ABS have taken all of the range including the garage petrol pumps and accessories etc?

Alan.

Alan, don't know iif they will do the job for you but Invertrain do a set of 7mm petrol pumps, oil cabinets and oil drums in resin. (Disclaimer here, I do some of his casting and am just casting some for him at the moment)

Phil T.

Alan, don't know iif they will do the job for you but Invertrain do a set of 7mm petrol pumps, oil cabinets and oil drums in resin. (Disclaimer here, I do some of his casting and am just casting some for him at the moment)

Phil T.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for that. I will take a look at Invertrain. I don't have an immediate requirement but I had used the Class Commercials set some time ago for a country garage that I built and subsequently sold on when I dismantled my old layout.

Alan.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to Reading so will ask Adrian about the Scammel. And, yes, I am aware that the ABS marque does sometimes seem like a black-hole.

Chaz

Well, I did go to Reading and spoke to Adrian. He talked for some time about problems with re-introducing the Scammel Scarab - mainly centred around his efforts to keep the price of the kit down. I seem to recall that he wanted to replace resin castings with white-metal. I got no idea when, or even if, it would reappear. he did have a couple of ex-Classic Commercial kits and I bought an AEC Mammoth Major kit.

Pity, I think the Scammel Scarab would be a good seller....

Chaz

Archived