Backdating the Hornby Pannier

knobhead

Try to get a parallel-sided chimney. The Hornby 'reverse taper' shape was always the worst feature on the body.

Thanks Miss Prism!

A new chimney (using the old cap) is under construction.

Regards,

Stefan

A quality finish, Stefan, with a canny attention to detail.

Choice of green looks spot on too.

Really looking forward to seeing his little beauty finished.

Well done,

Jonte

Hi Stefan,

Another quality job on the go here my good chap. The chimney is a particularly nice job - well done! I am nearly (but not quite) tempted to model this lovely Edwardian stuff... Maybe one day!

All the best,

Castle

PS: At your pace there must be enough time for another loco rebuild before Christmas! We're all just being greedy to see more of your work of course...

Thanks Castle!

One would think that a couple of Edwardian loco's could be useful at little Didcot?

I'm not sure if the Pannier will be all done before Christmas, but more rebuilds will follow, that's for sure! I can't deny myself the pleasure.

Regards,

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

There is a straight framed Saint being built in 12" to the foot scale in the locomotive works at Didcot so that might be done one day. In a slight act of thread hijack, perhaps I should ask the great and good out there if any of the straight framed ones made it to very early BR days? I have seen a picture of one with a straight frame at one end but not the other (can't remember which way round!). Personally, I can't wait to see No. 2999 as an Atlantic - definitely NOT BR period but it would make an ace project for a certain Swedish modeller...

All the best,

Castle

A straight framed Saint is on the to do list.

I have an old magazine(somewhere)where a modeller rebuilt an Airfix Castle to a 4-4-2 (North Star?) It's on my list also (which keeps getting longer)

Regards,

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

The 4 cylinder 4-4-2 version of No. 40 North Star? Genesis for all the glory that was to become the Stars, Castles and Kings? Now we are talking! As a Castle fan (no, really, I am - you would have never guessed would you?) this is right up my street! I don't think that I have seen it in model form but you obviously have. I look forward to the little corner of Sweeden that is forever GWR taking this one on!

All the best,

Castle

Hi Stefan

Another good conversion there. All this talk of Saints though makes me want to finish mine off, two of them waiting transformation into a Lady or William Dean and an Atlantic. But I mustn't get sidetracked Iv'e other work to do first.

Right back to the buildings but my head is thinking about 4-4-2s, 157s and all sorts of others.

Jim

Thanks Gentlemen!

OK, I had this funny feeling that you liked Castles Castle, now I know!

All the early 4-6-0's and 4-4-2's are lovely and worthy of some plastic surgery. I look forward to the completion of your straight framed Saints, Jim! (after the buildings are finished)

Regards,

Stefan

Thanks Colin!

This past week have slowed me down a bit. Numerous power outages, 15-20 of them actually, ranging from a couple of hours to a few minutes is disturbing when dealing with lining and transfers. :jester:

Regards,

Stefan

Hey good lookin' !

Glad I plumped for circa 1907 now: I could never emulate that lining.

Looks like plain old green 'n' black for me after all.

Good luck with the final push, Stefan.

Bestest,

Jonte

Thanks Jonte and scots region!

I'm pretty sure you could do the lining just fine. The Modelmaster lining that I use is very friendly. If it's starting to stick before you're happy, just dab a bit of water on it and you can fiddle on until it looks right.

Regards,

Stefan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stefan,

Another masterpiece - well done! Here's looking forward to old school Prairies and prototype Stars...

All the best,

Castle

PS: have you had a chat with the mods about getting all of your builds in the same thread? It would make a great read with them all in the same place!

Archived