Backdating the Hornby Pannier

knobhead

Hi Nick,

The chassis with it's Triang/Hornby coupling rods must, at least, be close to antique.

I posted a picture of the body with number plates on December 19th and since no one brought it up I assumed that the number would be OK. It's my own fault though, I tend to rely too much on what's available from Modelmaster.

Regards.

Stefan

New plates and one or two digits on the buffer beams is no major problem to fix.

In which case, I'd suggest 1894 which received a B4 Belpaire boiler and pannier tanks in Dec 1909 - Jan 1910.

Nick

ps. as to the lettering, I was surprised you found transfers that large. The HMRS sheet has only one size which should suit both tenders and tanks, and that is much smaller.

• 4 months later...

I have just come across this thread while searching for something else.

Suitably impressed by Knobhead's skills.

I have a couple of Hornby panniers which I would like to backdate and use the pre-1906 livery.

I have learnt that some of the 1813 class were converted to pannier tanks from saddle tanks as early as 1903, but so far have not been able to find any old photos or drawings of these. I also need to find out which numbers they were. It is possible that the pannier tanks on these early conversions were not full length, something like the 94xx design, or may have had a different profile from the later pattern.

Any information would be gratefully accepted!

Thanks

Singlewheeler

The first GWR pannier tank was 4-4-0T No 1490 in 1898. This was followed by the 0-6-4T crane tanks Nos 17 and 18 in 1901.

The early pannier conversions from side/saddle tanks were as follows (all info from the RCTS volume):

• No 1813, named 'Holmwood' was the first pannier conversion in July 1903. It was fitted with short tanks leaving the smokebox exposed. The round-top firebox and S4 boiler were retained.
  • No 2796 (2721 class) was converted in 1904 using a B4 boiler and short tanks.
  • No 1817 was converted in December 1904 using a full-length tank of the same dimensions as those used on most other members of the class from 1911 onwards.
  • Nos 1814 and 1823 were converted in November 1905. They had B4 boilers but the tank length is uncertain. If short, they would have been replaced by long tanks within a few years.
  • No 1816 was converted in May 1906 with a B2 boiler and long tanks.

No photos showing the short tanks were known when the RCTS volume was written and I don't recall seeing any. They do, however, provide a small side elevation drawing of 1813 as converted. The remainder of the 1813 class, with one exception, were converted to pannier tanks between 1910 and 1927.

Nick

Brilliant!

Assuming the purpose of fitting pannier tanks was to accommodate the Belpaire firebox, would the B4 boilers have been matched with Belpaire fireboxes? Since 1817 definitely had long tanks it would seem a simpler candidate but is it known what boiler/firebox combination it was fitted with?

There seems scope for a few variations here for pre 1906 liveried panniers.

Many thanks, Buffalo

Singlewheeler

Yes, both B2 and B4 boilers had Belpaire fireboxes. Holcroft describes the difficulty of making and fitting saddle tanks to Belpaire equipped boilers and says that this, together with a lowering of the CofG, was the main reason for introducing panniers. There were, of course, at one time or another, a fair number of round tops fitted with pannier tanks and a few Belpaires fitted with saddle tanks.

Nick

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

I use Humbrol 12 for copper, 16 for brass and 191 for polished steel, with spray varnish on top, either from a can or air brush.

Regards,

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Just wondered if this bit of info might be of use to you.

There is a product available in artists shops called 'Liquid Leaf'.

It is available in several colours that replicate polished metal far better than conventional paints.

All metallic paints normally used by modellers contain a metallic 'flake' pigment and it is this that often causes the 'course' texture that can so often spoil the look of models.

Liquid Leaf is effectively a liquid gold leaf and is formulated totally differently to white spirit based paints - it is what is known as an 'exotic' as its solvent is xylene (like the old and much missed Floquil paints) and is thus very fast drying.

What makes it so good for representing polished metal is that its pigment is far finer than any enamel paint being much closer to ink and therefor drying with virtually no grain.

I've been using it for years on my GWR locos with superb results.

If its of any interest i'll go to my workshop and get the details off the jars as to which colours to use for which metal.

I'm sure either the same product or similar by other manufacturers would be available pretty well anywhere as its intended use by artists is for guilding picture frames etc.

Hope this might be of interest Stefan.

Regards.

PS,

Please dont think I was saying your pannier didn't look good - I just thought i'd pass this tip on.

• 2 months later...

Archived