'Colas' timber carriers at CELSA, Cardiff, 23.11.2012.

Fat Controller

Hi Brian, did you notice whether they were the newly converted blue ones or the older ex-bogie vans and cubes? Seven of the new ones left Barry, where most are in store, the previous week apparently for Canton.

Hywel

They were the new sort, converted from the 'Holdall' wagons; very nice and bright they looked as well. I saw these wagons the day they arrived at Frethun- they seemed to loiter there for a while. I thought I'd seen some photos of them in traffic, possibly on the workings from Baglan Bay. Given where I saw them on Friday, I did wonder if they were being trialled for CELSA traffic.

Interesting, Brian! 26 of them had been at Barry for a while in store with four at Canton. The Canton examples may well have been trialled on the Baglan Bay flow although I've not seen any personally. The ones you saw could be either some of the seven from Barry that left last week or the Canton four. They still look nice and clean at the moment anyway.

ASW did convert a former Norsk Hydro van that had become a sleeper carrier for long rebar traffic in 1993 but although it was finished and painted it seemed to get no further than the Tremorfa wagon shops. So these timber wagons could perhaps carry a load of rebar....you never know!

Hywel

'The Canton Four'- sounds like a cause from the 1970s- 'Free the Canton Four!'

I'm intrigued by this AS&W modification to a Norse Hydro wagon- do you have any photos? I've encountered two different designs based around Tiphook/Cargowaggon hooded flats; one, shown on the cover of a Cargowaggon brochure, was originally for Caberboard, I believe, and had fifteen or so spindly stanchions per side. When I saw it at Dover, it was carrying engineers' bar. The other had half-a-dozen, rather more chunky, square section stanchions, joined across the wagon floor by substantial bolsters.

Free the Canton Four indeed...let them move rebar! Sounds better than the 'Barry 26'...

I do have photos of that conversion, taken outside the ASW wagon shop...but I can't find them at the moment...or the album they live in! As soon as I do and can scan them I will email you a copy. The timber carriers (number of wagons unknown) were picked up from Canton by 66727 the day after the additional seven were delivered there from Barry and taken down to Tidal. I'll bet someone reading this recorded the event on a camera - any takers?!

Hi Leon - four would tie in with them being the wagons that first visited Canton while the other 26 headed for Barry. The 19 remaining Barry wagons are stored to the east of the former engine shed and are visible from the area around the Skills Centre and the Medical Centre off the Waterfront development in the town. The four at Celsa were collected by a GBRf class 66 from Canton.

If you see the wagons at Celsa doing anything other than just sitting there please post an update!

Cheers,

Hywel

Archived