material source

Apart from the obvious idea of asking anyone doing picture framing and mounting, if you can find a small very old fashioned printer, its quite remarkable what he throws away. Silk screen poster firms too

and they often have useful platsic sheet offcuts. Out of date sample books of printers materials are a treasure too

• 2 weeks later...

Just being aware to the possibilities offered by household waste can save you a few bob.....

currently there must be thousands of clear acrylic Christmas card box covers going into land fill,

the inside of many business letter envelopes are nicely patterned for an entrance hallway tile,

Lloyd's Bank envelope inners make a nice green curtain material,

certain Italian pasta boxes, whilst printed on the outside have a brown marbled inner matt surface ideal for stone steps/window sills,

cotton buds are made with a very fine plastic tube between the 'fluffy' bits,

certain square plastic pots/containers for bedding plants, though tapered overall have at each side a 2"x3" structured square surface that would suit modern industrial siding aluminium,

the inside of TetraPak wine/soup card boxes is of a metallic finish ideal for tanks at industrial plants/breweries/wineries

spent black ink cartridges contain enough 'black' when smashed in a pot of water to dye a hundred matchsticks a convincing grey weathered colour when dry

defective LED light strings would illuminate a dozen layouts when 'deconstructed'

and so on.......

Start of a useful thread?

Doug

Look for the small triangle re-cycle sign on plastics tubs and similar, if it contains the number 6, it is styrene and will glue with liquid poly type glues.

I use the bottom part of Lidl Gorganzola containers for free plasticard.

Look for the small triangle re-cycle sign on plastics tubs and similar, if it contains the number 6, it is styrene and will glue with liquid poly type glues.

I use the bottom part of Lidl Gorganzola containers for free plasticard.

[adopting famous film-star's accent 'not a lot of people know that...']

Thanks, that is worth knowing,

Doug

• RMweb Premium

Has no one mentioned "skips" yet?

Obviously there are no specific examples of "stuff" or shopping lists, but round here (and I assume most places) the seemingly ever present skips are a proper goldmine of useful things to make other useful things out of :)

The timber I used for a baseboard framework (2X 15" by 3' 6" boards) came entirely from a skip.

Archived