RMweb

DCC Loco on DC Layout

benjy83

Hi All,

My dad got me a DCC loco for my layout, which is currently DC. It runs without any problems (for the 30 mins that I've had it on there) but I just wanted to know if there would be any problems in the long term (e.g. a burn out)?

I'm looking to go DCC not too far in the future (probably 2011), so the DCC capabilities of the Loco won't go to waste.

It's a steam loco my dad's bought me, but I hear from the model shop that running DCC diesel locos/DMUs on a DC layout means that the directional/internal lighting doesn't work without a DCC controller - is this true or is the model shop being crazy? It made sense to me because of the different function keys etc.

Ta,

Ben

Hi Ben

Your DCC steam loco will run fine on your DC layout. The problem with DCC diesels on a DC layout is as the model shop said you cannot control the lights. On a DC layout all the lights will come on I.E head,tail and cab lights on a DCC layout you can control the lights. I hope this helps.

Regards kev icon_thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Kev and Edinburgh Junction!

Put my mind at rest!

Happy New Year!

Ben :)

Hi Ben,

What I noticed when I went DCC last year was that when I started to fit mainly Bachmann/Hornby chips into my locos they would run perfect when on DCC but when on DC would run ok one way but would be stop start the other. This even happened on test track I set up to see if it was my layout at fault, problem solved itself when I went fully DCC with my loco fleet as I don't use them on DC bar for wheel cleaning.

These locos were all DCC ready so I chipped them not sure if same problem happened with DCC on board from Bachmann/Hornby etc.

Another problem was with my DCC sound class 37 on DCC perfect but very slow on DC even my 08 would beat it round the layout.

Hope his is some help.

Cheers

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Did you set the CV to enable use on DC?

Important point. Typically you would need CV29 to be set to 6 (for two-digit loco numbers) or 38 (for four-digit) to run on DC. BUT! On the DCC layout, if there is a momentary short circuit, you often find that locos set to operate on DC will "take off" at top speed - even if parked quietly in a siding! If you use a DCC loco on a DC layout, then use those numbers I have quoted above, but for DCC use, I recommend setting CV29 to 2 (for two-digit) or 34 (for four digit) to avoid those catastrophic events. If you also use speed tables (I don't, but many people like them) add another 16 to each of those values, by the way.

I am aware that not every DCC system uses the direct CV inputs that I'm used to using. Check your DCC system's instructions if CV numbers aren't part of your system's operation.

Hi All,

My dad got me a DCC loco for my layout, which is currently DC. It runs without any problems (for the 30 mins that I've had it on there) but I just wanted to know if there would be any problems in the long term (e.g. a burn out)?

I'm looking to go DCC not too far in the future (probably 2011), so the DCC capabilities of the Loco won't go to waste.

It's a steam loco my dad's bought me, but I hear from the model shop that running DCC diesel locos/DMUs on a DC layout means that the directional/internal lighting doesn't work without a DCC controller - is this true or is the model shop being crazy? It made sense to me because of the different function keys etc.

Ta,

Ben

Ben,

You said it is a DCC loco. Is it DCC ready or DCC Fitted? Sorry if you already know this but DCC Ready means it doesn't have a decoder but it does have a blanking plug which you remove and replace with a DCC decoder when you're ready to go DCC. You will have no problems at all with a DCC Ready loco on a DC layout as until you repalce teh blanking plug with a decoder it is a DC loco. DCC Fitted means it already has a decoder and will run on DCC and probably on a DC layout as well, depending on the value of CV29. I think that all DCC Fitted locos from Hornby and Bachmann come with CV29 already set up to allow running on DC.

There should not be any problems running a DCC fitted loco on a DC layout provided you do not have a High Frequency track cleaner like the Relco. I'm afraid that these devices can harm a decoder.

Archived