Hornby SELECT Capabilities

drewn

I posted a question a couple of weeks ago which, I'm afraid did not attract any answers so not to be thwarted, I'll rephrase the question and ask it again.

I currently operate my dcc layout quite happily with a SELECT unit. I now wish to add ONE sound decoder. After speaking to different people , one firm (Olivia's) said it would be OK, another (SWD) said :-

" There's "a chance" that the unit might be overloaded and the the CV's MIGHT be "scrambled" "

Is this in your opinions, likely? If it did not have the power to operate sound would the addition of a Hornby 4A transformer solve the problem?

If in addition, the CV's were scrambled, would the reset function return all settings to their originals?

Hope to hear from someone

Drew

I have operated a sound loco on a Hornby select controller before with no hastle, the only thing you cant do is have a 4 digit address. You cant do any CV programming etc on it, not that you should need to anyway to run a sound loco as they already come pre-configured anyway. Hope that makes sense.

Lee

I have operated a sound loco on a Hornby select controller before with no hastle, the only thing you cant do is have a 4 digit address. You cant do any CV programming etc on it, not that you should need to anyway to run a sound loco as they already come pre-configured anyway. Hope that makes sense.

Lee

You may want to alter some CVs to make driving more prototypical.

GUYS,

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to try one loco with the Select ( without any added transformer) if that doesn't work then I'll add a transformer.

I must say that it makes change to hear some positive feedback about the Select which we all know has many limitations

Drew

You may want to alter some CVs to make driving more prototypical.

The select was when i first started, i dont have a layout myself now, so i use the club layout, we use a Hornby elite, linked into a laptop with JMRI, and controlled using WiThrottle on my iPhone. :-)

Lee

Archived