Great Central Design in BR Era - To be named /....

AGR Model Store

Hiya

On your lower picture with the junction you can do it with less. At times there are movements where a train can have two options of getting virtually to the same place. It means that if thats the case there is a point in there thats not needed. They would be no good for a loop or to swap engines over as it means a conflicting movement without signals that would foul the junction. On the other hand, if your happy with it, all the trackwork looks fantastic and really busy, but you can do it with a little less and have an impressive area to run and operate.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask where you sourced the covered steps leading down to the platforms from the bridge and the piers opposite those, I hope to create somthing similar on my layout but have no idea where to buy a kit to do the job, if they are scratch built well done but for me that's not a realistic option.

Martin

Can I ask where you sourced the covered steps leading down to the platforms from the bridge and the piers opposite those, I hope to create somthing similar on my layout but have no idea where to buy a kit to do the job, if they are scratch built well done but for me that's not a realistic option.

Martin

Their Bachmann great central building. Based on the great central railway ...

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

My parents' house is about 15 years old, and surprisingly the loft was usable for a layout. Lots of W shaped struts, about 2 feet apart, which allowed a 2 foot wide baseboard at chest height all the way round the loft. I ended up with a layout 24' x 10', which in N gauge worked out at about 1.8 miles of running line! My own house has a loft about 15' x 15' and with just the one beam, 3 feet off the ground running straight across the middle. A bit awkward to work round.

The purlin could be moved, i had a victorian terraced house with a beam across at 2.5 feet off the loft floor, very inconvenient, so i had a builder look at it, it was replaced by one at floor level and two above head height. Cost a couple of hundred for his time and timber but then left me with a 26 x 10 space.

Lofts make excellent spaces for layouts, just starting my new one now, have insulated all of the rafters and covered with thin ply wood, this stops draughts, dirt and drips getting in..

Matt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived