Yet another small 7mm layout (no name yet)

Nick

I guess it's about time I posted something here!

I have started a new layout, the plan is 10.5 by 2 feet in size total, 7 by 2 scenic section. This is about the same size as the US 2 rail O scale layout I built about 10 years ago (blimey - now that I type that I realize just how long ago that was - scary!!!) but is British outline instead of US. Unlike the US layout which consisted of a 7 by 2 single board, this layout is 3 boards of 3.5 foot length each to ease transporting etc.

The plan was inspired by a sketch from my good friend Neil Ripley for a 4mm scale APA box layout (huge thanks for the inspiration, Neil!). I took the plan and modified it a bit (it was basically the rear portion of St. Minions as he drew it) so that all sidings are trailing direction and are fed from a traverser that will be located at the right hand end of the scenic section. I also added 2 more sidings to the left end of the layout for additional operating interest.

The rear left hand building, made of Skytrex wall sections, will be an abandoned warehouse with the track serving the loading dock being used as wagon storage for other businesses on the layout. Before anyone asks, the right hand end of the building will have the sawtooth roof cut to a flat section. In front of that building will be a separate scrap yard. To the middle rear are 2 sheds, both with lines feeding them (note - the track plan below shows the rear line going into the big left hand shed, this is incorrect, it will only serve the right hand shed). The big shed is served by an internal overhead crane and receives open cars while the smaller shed is serviced by vans via an internal loading dock. This industry will have an office building from the sheds to the right hand edge of the layout. The industry is supposed to be a marine engineering firm (imagine that!). Finally, the track in the middle front of the layout will be used to receive oil and will be unloaded at a small facility with pipes going over a pipe bridge to the rear of the layout.

I cut the wood and assembled the basic scenic section boards last week, except for the fascia pieces on the join which I will be adding in the next few days. The shed buildings are foamboard and will be clad in "N scale architect" 7mm scale corrugated sheet and brick lower walls.

The era for this layout is supposed to be between 1970 and 1975, with plenty of grot in evidence. I have a green Ixion HC and will probably add a Dapol 08 in green when it gets released. Stock so far is Lionheart and Skytrex. I go for an overall feel rather than worrying too much about everything being rivet-perfect. I should have mentioned track is Peco bullhead flex and Marcway points, these will be controlled using cobalt point motors.

Time for a couple of pictures. First the track plan (scenic section only):

final%2520o%2520plan%2520sm.jpg

Then a couple of progress photos:

PC010389-2.jpg

PC010392.jpg

I will not have much time over the coming week to do much but hope to order the plastic sheets and get the track down ASAP.

I'll post more when things have progressed a little.

Thanks again for the inspiration, Neil!

Nick

A Brit exiled in the USA

Nick

Looks like you've made a good start on this. I like your concept and era. Oh, and quite a few of us on here like lots of grot!

Had you considered putting a run-round loop at the front - connecting the track at the front with the line which curves into the left hand corner? It would give you a bit more operational flexibility. Just a thought if you have the space.

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

Been sketching a new Gn15 layout to replace my exsisting one and your track plan adapted with a run round may fit the bill.

Many thanks for the inspiration.

Eltel.

Rather liking those Skytrex building sections, didn't really take much notice of them at the weekend at Reading as I'd already overspent but I do think there is certainly a little potential on my layout for a low relief one against the backscene to break up the view...

Hi Nick

This may give you some idea of how the Skytrex mouldings may look:

post-5673-0-73900300-1354474229.jpg

I am using them as the scenic frontage for the sector plate on my layout. The run of buildings is about 5 feet in length and the roofs have since been added in northlight style.

Regards.

Looks great Nick, lot's of fun to be had by the looks of it. There is now a fair number of new layout's started in 0 gauge on this forum, makes me want to start my own track plan, I only wish I didn't have so many others things to get done first. Over xmas I may start Martin Finney's A1/3, if I do I'll most certainly need to look at the layout. Another thing I'm hoping for is the use of the newly built loft conversion, one of my son's has it for his bedroom just now but plans to move up North sometime next year. If so I can start to have my own fun....:)

Looking forward to more updates Nick, keep them coming....

Pete

Hi Nick,

Have just taken a look at your posting and would say that I like what I saw. Starting a new layout is always exciting and great fun as it develops. My own layout "Ramchester" (on this web - Progress at Ramchester) is my first O gauge line and is coming on nicely and I too have had favorable comments posted on the site. These things take time to build but gives one great pleasure especially as the scenery is added. Each bit seems to bring the layout to life and is a spur towards completion.

I like what I have seen and will be following your progress.

railwayrod

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the gang!

This looks promising, will watch progress with interest. The Skytrex building sections look good. Whilst I have seen them at exhibitions I have not really studied them properly.

Alan.

Hi Nick,

Looks good. Like the concept.

I have bought some O Gauge track and have one Peco RH point. They are certainly long and suit a large layout.

My plan is to have 3 4'x 2' boards, so using the smaller Marcway points is most likely the way to go. How long are those you are using? I will be using small engines and wagons.

Mark in OZ

Both the wyes and the normal points are about 14" long. The difference is that the divergence of the wye is much greater on the marcway points than the peco wye.

I had to modify the points to get them to work properly, they were very stiff and would not work as delivered. I had to remove the copper top off the sleeper around the moving rails and the throwbar to allow the points to move freely, and will need to add strip styrene under the sleepers to bring them up to the peco flex height.

Cheers

Nick

• 1 year later...

This is about the same size as the US 2 rail O scale layout I built about 10 years ago (blimey - now that I type that I realize just how long ago that was....

A bit late to this thread... but I'd be interested in your US layout if you have any pics, Nick!! ;)

Archived