Easybuild DMU

spenc

Hi Everyone

I have a 121DMU from easybuild giving it a test run when running it the motor is very loud sounds like its running on sleepers.checked the motor that looks ok any ideas

many thanks

Steve

post-11944-0-26497400-1354482094_thumb.jpg

Guest 838rapid

Evening Steve.

Nice layout by the way.

Does it have Delrhin chains on the powered bogie??

The reason I ask is my 25 has this and after plenty of Petroleum Grease or vasalene mine settled down,although it is still noisy compared to other loco's.

HTH

Adie

Hi alant

The DMU kit is very easy to put together mine would have been finnish couple of months ago but work got in the way & building the layout.My next DMU will be a 108 from them well recommended.Thanks for the comment of the layout.

Steve.

post-11944-0-76071300-1354574733_thumb.jpg

post-11944-0-48850900-1354575041_thumb.jpg

post-11944-0-45591100-1354575111_thumb.jpg

Hi Spenc, I've had this question in my mind for a while and hopefully, as someone who's recently built an Easybuild 121, you might be able to provide the answer?

Is the material from which the sides are made malleable or rigid?

My reasons for asking are quite simple... whilst I fully understand and appreciate why Easybuild use the same (effectively Mk1) profile for all their DMU and coach sides I was wondering whether the material they use might take to flattening - the application of some gentle heat and clamping perhaps? Basically to encourage it to match the slab-sided profile of the upper body-sides of the real thing more closely.

OK... this'll mean the ends will need re-profiling too but (IMO) all three 121 offerings that I'm aware of (Westdale, Easybuild and Bachmann Brass) have issues which result in a model which doesn't quite capture the iconic look with which we're all so familiar and which is so accessible in prototype form.

I'm working myself up to trying to having a go at either a Westdale or Easybuild example (both firms tend to be at the Bristol Show), but as the construction of the two models is so totally different I need to get my head around which will involve the least drastic surgery. Any thoughts...?

David

PS: Nice modelling BTW - both layout and DMU :-)

I got fed up with the supplied motor bogie from Easybuild 108 and returned it to them for a refund on the assembly. I bought ABC Gears direct replacement motor bogie which just needs the sides putting on.

Far superior running and no noise.

post-6682-0-88362500-1354724782.jpg

post-6682-0-85052600-1354724795.jpg

post-6682-0-90756900-1354724805.jpg

post-6682-0-88583000-1354724823.jpg

post-6682-0-17031600-1354724835.jpg

post-6682-0-54527000-1354724847.jpg

post-6682-0-17940500-1354724860.jpg

Hi Phill

I will give that a go and see if whats going wrong.

Thanks.

Steve

Hi David

The plastic sides are rigid but i did have to tease one end to fit i used a hair dryer to warm it up to get the right profile so you might be ok to flattern them.When i get the next DMU it will be a easybuild they do build well.Thanks for the comment on the layout.

Thanks

Steve

Hi two tone green

That looks a good motor bogie i think if i cannot sort this one out i will look into that one at the moment i don't want to spend extra money when it can go on more wagons.

Thanks

Steve

Hi

I had a look at the motor tonight i took the chain off still made a noise i then moved the sprocket away from the worm and no noise put it back to the worm noise came back.Any help welcome.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve

I've got an (unfinished) Easybuild Class 105. I had a look at TTGs ABC unit, liked it and built my own.

post-7686-0-63401400-1355157816_thumb.jpg

post-7686-0-58833300-1355157853_thumb.jpg

post-7686-0-56802100-1355157880_thumb.jpg

I messed around with the as supplied set up and couldn't get it to run quiet. It was by far the loudest of all the stuff that ran one night down at the Avon GOG so I felt I had to replace the drive system. I've no idea on why it was so loud but my new unit runs like silk and is silent. Needless to say, I then got distracted onto other projects - I must get back to the Cravens as I've really only got the interior to do.....

Saying that, I think the EB kits are great value and if they ever do a Class 120, I'll have one.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I rang Shawn at easybuild today had a nice chat about the noisy power bogie he said he will have a look at mine to see where the noise is coming from if not sorted a replacement will be coming back so now its off to the post office tomorrow.

Steve

Steve, I mentioned the issues you and others have reported to Shawn at the Bristol Show on Sunday and one of the reasons I came away with an EB 121 (as opposed to the alternative I had intended to buy) was the reassurance I received that their 'new' power-bogie.had been designed to provide a smoother, quieter method of propulsion. The other thing that swung my decision was what Shawn said about his commitment to customer support –.on the basis of what he said to me my guess is that if he can't sort it you'll get one of the redesigned versions (I've just posted a photo of the components of the 'new' version on my thread)..

David

PS: He also said that anyone who had an issue with 'any' aspect of an EB kit should feel free to contact him and he'd do whatever he could to help.

Yes, Easybuild customer support is excellent.  They will answer any queries straight. Broken parts, missing parts, parts you don't understand, they will deal with it straight away.

They are a great bunch and love a chat about what you think about them and their DMU's. If you really get their attention, talk class 124 transpennine unit. Light blue touch paper and retire.

• RMweb Gold

I have just been looking at their website and on one of the instruction leaflets it mentions that they have changed supplier for the gears. Could this be at the root of the OP's problem?

Glad to find out about Easybuild though. Some good products there at great prices for O.

I have just been looking at their website and on one of the instruction leaflets it mentions that they have changed supplier for the gears. Could this be at the root of the OP's problem?

Shawn was very open about issues raised by his customers about the previous design of motor-bogie. The new version he said features gears sourced from a different supplier to ensure greater precision in matching the worm to the final drive. The new brass inner framing and a change to the axle ends (from pin-point to square on the motor bogie) are also intended to allow builders to align everything with greater precision and so create a smoother-running, quieter unit.

He didn't flinch when I suggested assembling the motor bogie first and he was very understanding of my apprehension bearing in mind what other had mentioned on here. I think he's confident that someone who's never built a motor-bogie before (me – and I didn't hide the fact) can conjure one up that runs smoothly and quietly using the new components. His parting comment was basically, '...you'll be fine, but if not contact me. If we can't find a solution over the phone or by email send it back and we'll sort for you it while you build the body! Can't say fairer than that :-)

David

Hi

My new motor bogie came this morning Shawn at easy build had built it so before i went to work i gave it a spin Wow what a great job he has done it will crawl along with no shuddering or stopping the pickups are a big improvement no noise looking forward to putting it back on the DMU just got to wire it for back to DCC so its a big thumbs up to Shawn & easybuild for there Excellent customer support posted it & it came back all in a week :imsohappy: 

One happy customer

Steve 

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but i thought i would share my experience of noisy diesel bogies, well any loco that runs a worm and gear drive arrangement.

Over the years i have been looked down on by my peers for using fold up gearboxes/bogies with worm and gear drive for being noisy and hard to set up and not smooth. You have to get the gearbox/ bogie folded at a perfect angle but it's not the mesh of the worm and gear that gives the noise, it's the metal on metal mesh that gives noise and resistance in motion (even with oiling). I have found a solution that has made all of my loco builds so far virtually silent when running and very smooth running. Ultrascale sell worm and gear sets they machine by hand using brass for the gear and a nylon worm (nylatron). This provides vitally silent running and the nylon material provides a certain amount of lubrication. They are dirt cheap but there can be a waiting time for them to produce them for you (depends how busy they are). I have retro fitted their gear sets to all of my builds and every one is a silent as a bought gearbox and motor for a fraction of the cost (as most kits usually include a fold up gearbox). Of course you will never get perfect smooth running at super low crawl speed (a flywheel on the motor certainly helps) but thats the nature of a well machined 3 stage box.

I have no affiliation with Ultrascale, just happy with the result and thought i would chuck in my two penneth worth to try and help other builders with the same problem i had……at £6 a set it's worth a try before shelling out 100 odd on a gearbox and motor ?????  :sungum:

Steve

Archived