Macintosh 439 0-4-4t drawings

Argos

• RMweb Gold

I am looking to source drawings for the Caley Macintosh 439 0-4-4t - any scale - any era.

I vaguely recall some in a relative recent Railway Modeller but having searched I can't find it so maybe the drugs have since worn off....

I am not a member of the Caledonian Railway Society so would appreciate if anyone can point me in the direction of another source.

I have loads of photographs and reference literature for the locomotive but need a good drawing to enable a model to be built.

Thanks

Argos

Guest Max Stafford

It's just possible I have a spare CRA drawing but it will be tomorrow before I can check.

It's just possible I have a spare CRA drawing but it will be tomorrow before I can check.

I don't think it's been in RM in the last 5 or 6 years at least. May 1972 has some sketches in connection with converting an old-style M7, but not a full drawing.

Join the CR Soc and buy it, a good drawing is probably be worth a year's subs, plus it supports one of the line societies.

• RMweb Gold

By way of update I've now spent some time studying the Railway Modeller drawing, the drawing provided by and RMWEBer and the 2mm etch of the locomotive purchased from the Worsley Works (http://www.worsleywo...m_Loco_Kits.htm)

The Railway Modeller drawing appears to have an error in that the bunker is about 1ft short. This is only 2mm in the scale modelled but significant and noticeable.

The picture below shows both drawings and the etch in section:-

post-13616-0-32985700-1355341426.jpg

I am aware that the water capacity increased through the build period, which in itself was quite long starting in 1900 with the final 10 locomotives being out-shopped by the LMS in 1925. However, looking through the photos I have in various sources I cannot find a short bunkered example. The photo below seems typical across the class and is the intended subject 55222.

post-13616-0-29725200-1355342439.jpg

Does anyone out there know the answer or is the drawing wrong?

I am keen to know as there are a few other discrepancies between drawing and the etch (e.g. the cab spectacals are at different centres), I'd like to get the model right!

I wonder if the Railway Modeller drawing draftsman Mr Emslie realised his work would be critiqued 60 years after he drew it!

Hi,

I know that measuring paper drawings is not the right way to do it but quickly putting a rule over the two drawings I have gives the cab rear to end of bunker size of 36mm on the O gauge one and 20.5mm on the 00 one.Both drawings seem to show the front and rear spectacle plates as being identical.

Dr John Emslie was usually pretty accurate but he was really a GNof S enthusiast. I presume he did this drawing for his own use as by that time some of these locos had been drafted in to work some of the GNofS branches. I think this pre-dates BR selling off GA drawings so he probably measured up a real loco at a windswept Moray Coast terminus in which case an error in one dimention is probably quite forgivable. A lot of drawings from this period have been found to have dimentional errors as "modern" railway modellers/historians have access to more material and the pioneers had to clinb over the original with a tape measure.

best wishes,

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

Thanks for the information above, the drawing in the Railway Modeller measure just over 4 feet, so is about a foot short.

I appreciate that when this drawing was done it was probably done the hard way, no search engines to find photos to quickly check appearance!

Could I trouble you to check the Spectacles centres?

On the Etch these are at 4ft centres and on the drawing 5ft centres.

Unfortunatley my other drawing is only an elevation.

Checking photos, I am inclined to think the drawing is correct, which will be a challenge during the build!

Hi,

The O gauge drawing is 30.5mm between centres or 4ft 6in. 4mm Skinley gives 16.5mm just over 4ft. It would not work with 5ft centres as the openings would pretty well reach the outside of the cab. The windows ( O gauge) are just over 10mm dia in the clear and 12mm over the frame. Overall width of cab/bunker 47.5mm.

best wishes,

Ian

Ian,

Thanks for the information above, the drawing in the Railway Modeller measure just over 4 feet, so is about a foot short.

I appreciate that when this drawing was done it was probably done the hard way, no search engines to find photos to quickly check appearance!

There were two versions of the 439 class and the later Pickersgill version had alterations to the wheelbases which were lengthened. I can't find confirmation if the frames were lengthened as well, which, if they had been, might have meant a longer bunker.

For what was the standard tank class of the Caledonian, there are no actual official drawings of it in the NRM/OPC lists but there are drawings of the Y59 order for a batch of the 92 class condensing tank which was the basis for the Mcintosh 439 class minus the condensing apparatus. NRM drawing number 3/GW/12502/E(2 sheets).

A friend was looking for a 439 drawing some months ago and I did a lot of digging around for him at the time.

Jim.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Jim.

According to Locomotives Illustrated 144 (LMS Scottish Passenger Tank Locomotives) the later engines had 6ft wheel base bogies instead of the usual 5ft 6 inch, looking through the photos there does not appear to be a corresponding increase in frame length the rear bunker apears the same length for all builds.

The photo extract I posted above is of 55222 (part of the 1914 build, the longer wheelbase build commenced in 1915) and exhibits the long bunker.

I think Ian's postulation above is the most likely explanation for the discrepancy.

• 1 month later...

I’ve been a bit late picking up on this thread, and even later getting round to posting a reply. With help from Jim I have been doing some research into the 439 class with a view to scratchbuilding a model in S-Scale.

Information and photographs of the class can be found in Locomotives Illustrated #144 and LMS Locomotives Vol. 3 written by Bob Essery & David Jenkinson. Three distinct versions of the 439 class were built, the original being built by McIntosh, then by Pickersgill and finally by Nasmyth, Wilson for the LMS. The Pickersgill locomotives differed slightly from the McIntosh version in that they had a longer wheelbase bogie. On the McIntosh locomotives the distance from the trailing wheel, to the centre of the bogie, was 11’ 9”; the wheel base of the bogie being 5’ 6”. Pickersgill increased the distance from the trailing wheel, to the centre of the bogie, to 12’ 0” and increased the bogie wheelbase to 6’ 0”. The other difference between the two versions was that Pickersgill removed the rear sandbox from inside the cab and fitted it below the side tanks. The Nasmyth, Wilson version pretty much mimicked the Pickersgill locomotive except that the water capacity was increased; McIntosh/Pickersgill locomotives had a water capacity of 1,270 gallons and the Nasmyth, Wilson locomotives 1,380 gallons. Nasmyth, Wilson achieved the slightly greater water capacity by increasing the length of the side tanks from 10’ 5 1/2” to 10’ 9 7/8”.

As previously mentioned scale drawings do exist and the two which I have found are a Skinley 4mm drawing and a 7mm drawing from the CRA. Unfortunately I haven’t managed to source a GA drawing of the original McIntosh locomotive but there is a copy of the GA produced by Nasmyth, Wilson for their LMS version. As Jim pointed out the 439 class was a direct development of the final series of 92 class locomotives (sometimes regarded as the 879 class) but without the condensing gear, GA drawings of both these classes also exist. All these GA drawings are held in the NRM and copies can be purchased from them.

So with regards to your question on the size of the bunker, the size of the bunker did not change and all three versions of the 439 had the same size cab/bunker. The width of the cab was 6’ 6” and the distance between the spectacle centres being 4’ 2”.

I hope this information is of some use to you and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Regards,

Scott

Guest Natalie Graham

I am looking to source drawings for the Caley Macintosh 439 0-4-4t - any scale - any era.

[...]

I am not a member of the Caledonian Railway Society 

Do you need to be? I thought they sold their drawings to anyone off their stand at shows.

I am painting a 1:76 CR 439 Class 0-4-4T in Caledonian Railway livery for a customer and need to source a pair of etched cabside numberplates.

I have been unable to find any listed at my usual suppliers - Fox and Modelmaster or by doing a Google search.

Does anyone know of a supplier?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Canada

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

By way of completeness, for anyone searching in the future, the July August 2013 Railway Modeller contains an article and drawings of the early batch (upto 1914) 439 tanks.

By way of completeness, for anyone searching in the future, the July 2013 Railway Modeller contains an article and drawings of the early batch (upto 1914) 439 tanks.

That's good to know, good thing we are so far behind on UK magazines in Canada, i should still be able to find that issue on the shelves and obtain a copy for when i eventually get around to building a model of the first steam locomotive i remember seeing as a kid at Bo'Ness while visiting my grandparents :)

-Stephen

Archived