B16/3

Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

Now that Hornby have released their O1 with 100A boiler,it occurs to my,perhaps naive,persuasion, that tooling for the production of the above might not be too difficult to produce.Thompson rebuilt 17 of the original B16 during and after 1944. That leaves 45 B16/1 and 7 B16/2 with original Raven boiler for someone to produce........please.

The underlying question this raises is whether the bodywork tooling is done with such thoughts in mind. No potential problem with having the dimensions of standardised pieces like the 100A boiler shell in the CAD system, which can then be populated with the detail parts necessary to make it externally as fitted to any given class? I certainly hope so, Hornby appear to have done this for the A1/A3 boiler variants.

B16/3s don't have 100A boilers I'm afraid. I believe they are 49A boilers on B16/3s so an O1 wouldn't be a starting point. Original Ravens had 49 boilers.

To give a better idea, here is a photo of my kit built B16/3. Built by John Houlden and weathered by myself.

You will see the boiler differences.

post-6764-0-36323800-1340125752_thumb.jpg

So Id advise you to get a Q6, J21 and G5, the others you can melt. :thankyou:

I already have examples of all of those, so I'd say the GE ones can take priority!

(Actually I have three J21s in production at the moment!)

No war.... just freindly tounge in cheek rivalry....

All the healthier for admiring and enmbracing each others opinions. Reasons to celebrate for any Eastern region backwater engine being made, in the hope it leads to other pregrouping engines of sister companies that made up the LNER, and later Eastern / North Eastern regions.

What gets me is the lack of pregrouping engines being suggested that did cover some distance. I know wish list polls get to the fore of what people would really want but I maintain that if you made an engine or two for one area, it would cause corresponding sales of other engines. NER machines have a myth that they never really strayed beyond the NER system. J21s were at Norwich, B16s at the cross mentioned here and Peterbrough, Q6s got to the midlands and humberside. Other regions engines are bound to be similar. So why are companies picking engines that really didnt seem to wander. J11's didnt move too much, the O1 had a scattering at Tyne Dock, the O2 didnt really move away.

A B16 would be a real winner, a K1 too. What do others think?

Course not, but it's all too easy to see things differently on webfora ;).

All the healthier for admiring and enmbracing each others opinions. Reasons to celebrate for any Eastern region backwater engine being made, in the hope it leads to other pregrouping engines of sister companies that made up the LNER, and later Eastern / North Eastern regions.

Frankly, I'm all for seeing anything new produced, regardless of where it comes from and where it is geographically. I suppose that's the advantage of my being a railway enthusiast!

What gets me is the lack of pregrouping engines being suggested that did cover some distance. I know wish list polls get to the fore of what people would really want but I maintain that if you made an engine or two for one area, it would cause corresponding sales of other engines. NER machines have a myth that they never really strayed beyond the NER system. J21s were at Norwich, B16s at the cross mentioned here and Peterbrough, Q6s got to the midlands and humberside. Other regions engines are bound to be similar. So why are companies picking engines that really didnt seem to wander. J11's didnt move too much, the O1 had a scattering at Tyne Dock, the O2 didnt really move away.

Well, the J11s moved around a damn sight more than you think, seeing as they got to York with some regularity. I can see perfectly well why Bachmann chose to produce one. Whether any enterprising modellers will see about producing the J11/3 variant will be interesting to see, but I see it as very healthy.

What I don't like seeing is the amount of bias towards any one pre-group company, just because XYZ manufacturer doesn't produce what one wants. Just give it time and they'll get round to it ;). The more they do now, the less that gets in the way of anything else!

There are a couple of great kits for the J21!

Absolutely! Depends on what one fancies building! The Alexander one is a good one to build too, by all accounts.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to what's being announced on the 17th. Hopefully, as with previous years, there will be something for everyone!

Cheers,

Hi. I agree a B16/1 is a fascinating loco, they did get to March and therefore appeared on the GE system in BR days. However so many interesting engines got to March that it is necessary to be very selective otherwise they could outnumber native engines. The one I would be interested in is a GC A5 tank, they were shedded at Norwich for a spell in BR days and are a great contrast to the more common outside cylindered 2-6-4T. I have been collecting the parts for a K1 conversion but am reluctant to start as I was part way through an L1 conversion when Hornby announced theirs and had just finished an O1 when that was announced. So yes I would definitely have a K1 and probably a B16/1.

Roger.

I have been collecting the parts for a K1 conversion but am reluctant to start as I was part way through an L1 conversion when Hornby announced theirs and had just finished an O1 when that was announced. So yes I would definitely have a K1 and probably a B16/1.

Clearly you owe it to the rest of us to start the K1, as it will inevitably result in an RTR model! ;)

Archived