Resita in the Czech Republic - photos

Hobby

I have just got Jessops to develop over 900 photos for me and am in the process of putting them into albums! I noticed this set I took of the JHMD's Resita departing Jindrichuv Hradec in September this year and thought you may like to see them!

Quiet before the storm!

Sept12426.jpg

Setting off:

Sept12427.jpg

Relaxed driver!

Sept12428.jpg

Getting into it's stride:

Sept12430.jpg

On it's way:

Sept12432.jpg

I caught it up later in the day and had a ride behind it... The line is about 30km long and it was on their annual "open day" where you get to go round their depot and be generally entertained, no high tech stuff, very 60s style of entertainment!

Hope you like them!

Thanks for sharing your pictures.These Romanian narrow gauge locos seem to be getting everywhere! There is a very smart working example a little closer to home now at Welshpool.

I understand that some of the forestry lines in Romania for which the locos were designed are still working and can be visited - I had the pleasure of several trips into the back of beyond in that beautiful country in the 1990's and ought to follow your example with some scans.

The diesel in the shot is also a fine beast, built IIRC by CKD in Prague. Hopefully the line shown here is reasonably safe as a tourist attraction, and long may both forms of traction continue to operate!

John, they are based on the Hungarian MAV 490 class, which, according to my Hungarian friends, is a much better loco! Seems that whilst the 498 was built for the main lines and was properly engineered the Resita was built down to a price for industrial lines! That said the JHMD don't seem to have had the issues suffered by the Welshpool with theirs!

It's actually worth staying in J-H rather than Ceske Budejovice if it's just an overnight stay as it's a 2 hour train ride each way to the town. Gives you more time to travel on the narrow gauge. The northern line takes 2 hours each way (40 mins if just to Kamenice - there's not a lot north of there!) and an hour each way on the southern line. Also there are two really good museums in J-H as well as a rather spectacular castle...

• RMweb Gold

When we did the lines we didnt find any good places to stay in J -H.

However we do know a good place in Cesker Budejovice hence why we stay there.

Our first trip we did the Northern route on a day trip from Pargue, travelling out via J_H and back via Obratan and Tabor. Long day but easily doable.

Ian

Have you been to the CD-run line in the north, Ian? It's certainly an old style country branch line leading to a little town on the Polish border which is the ultimate of how to build a Communist town for it's workers.... Very depressing place with all the concrete especially on a wet day but the line itself is a gem...

Going back to the JHMD, did you see this one by any chance?!

Sept12251.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Yes we did that line a few years ago. Very nice line but we didn't go into the town at the end of the line. Another long day out of Prague. On more recent trips we have stayed in other towns and cities such as Ostrava and Olomouc.

I did see the purple diesel but think it was tucked around the back of the shed at the time.

Blimey it certainly is a long day from Prague, it takes about an hour and a half to get there from Ostrava, not counting the 3 to 4 hours from Prague... I tended to stay in or near Ostrava, though at the budget end of the market there are some rather "faded" hotels!

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see these pics - I visited Jindrichuv Hradec in September this year and travelled on the line in both directions from there, both using steam and diesel haulage. It was fantastic! I'd definitely recommend it - I stayed in Jindrichuv Hradec for a few nights at a pension by the castle and river, about £30 a night in a double room. Basic but fine, and quiet. Lovely riverside bars serving decent beer too. It's a really friendly place.

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Blimey it certainly is a long day from Prague, it takes about an hour and a half to get there from Ostrava, not counting the 3 to 4 hours from Prague... I tended to stay in or near Ostrava, though at the budget end of the market there are some rather "faded" hotels!

The Imperial in the centre of Ostrava is very good. We have had some very good rates through online booking sites but sometimes it can be way out of our range!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice piccies Hobby.

I was fortunate to visit the line twice. Once with the kind help of Gerhard Urban owner of Alt Nagelberg station in Austria. He drove us over the border to Jindichuv Hradec, we caught the train to Nova Bystric / Neubistritz, then a special bus over the border to Litschau for the journey back to Gmuend. One occasion was the vintage train of largely unbraked 4 wheelers hauled by Mallet U47.001, but we also rode a service train and were treated to a cab ride in a Tu47 diesel. Bizarrely, but a clear indication of how enthusiastic some Czech people are. The driver took it upon himself to set back round the corner into the forest, then reemerge to give us a photo / video run in.

Wonderful line and wonderful people.

Also, yes I managed the northern line too. We caught an overnight train from Praha then changed to get to Jesenik for a DMU via a Polish reversal at Glucholazy to Tremesna v Slezku, Then rode the train to Osoblaha. I even persuaded the booking clerk to charge my video camera battery while we walked into concreteville for breakfast. Has Hobby says, it is the most desolate, depressing looking place, and we were glad to be on our way back to the mainline on our one coach train. If you like narrow gauge railways in the countryside, it is worth doing, but is a ballache to get to !!!

Your visit to the south must have been a few years ago then! I also had a cab ride, but that was back in '99 when they were quite easy going, it's the devils own job just to get into the loco when its stationery these days, someone must have got bollocked for being too friendly! Strangely the northern line, even though it's CD owned and run is the more "open" now, I got a guided tour of one of the re-engined locos last time I was up there!

Archived