Using card textures

Julia

I have just purchased my first scratch building texture to use to make some walls to go round the yard on my metal fabrication company.

My plan had been to use 1mm card with the brick texture wrapped round it to make the wall, but I am unsure how to do the top of the wall. Does anyone have a suggested technique?

J

Hullo, Julia, are you working in OO or N gauge? Are the walls brick or stone?

1mm card in OO-1/76th equates to a 3" wide wall, [about the thickness of a brick]. A typical brick wall would be 9" wide, or 3mm in OO. or, the 'length' of a brick.

If you are doing Watchmakers railway [N Gaige :)] then ignore the above!

I'm a little occupied at the moment, but if you search my threads for walls you'll find some help there in the 'Card' section, I'll be back on line soon.

Till then,

Doug

Back from town...

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40546-retaining-walls-for-a-raised-car-parking-area/ you do not need the batter.

Walls need reinforcing pillars at regular intervals, especially as they get higher/longer. About 15ft intervals looks O.K. and can bee built-up card or approx 7mm square wood strip.

The picture below shows why ordinary walls are 9" wide....either build up 2mm and 1mm card or, as I do, buy some 3mm-1/8" balsa wood.

Round over the top of the card/balsa with medium sandpaper, cover the sides with the Scalescenes paper and then glue the strip of plain soldier bricks [the little 'on edge' strip on the side of the print-out] along the top. Job done!

post-106-0-21422200-1354966141_thumb.jpg

Any probbles, come back,

Doug

Archived