If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Mainline 43xx - is there hope for a chassis?

I bought a Mainline GWR 43xx on the ever popular auction site. It ran well for a while and then the driving wheels suddenly became out of sync with the articulated coupling rod no longer horizontal: one of the axles had seized. When I took it apart, it was clear that the metal axles for the cogs that took the drive from the motor had sheared. A friend at my model club took a look, but the chassis was beyond repair. So I bought another 43xx from ebay, from a reputable retailer, but with the usual caveats for 2nd hand stock - which I fully understand. This loco has run perfectly for the last few weeks, but suddenly today, it stopped and the coupling rods are cranked again. I haven't opened it up, but it looks just the same so far.

Which axles are driven by the motor?

Do all Mainline 43xx chassis do this? Should I just give up on this type of loco?

Is there anything I can do?

Rich

Ready to run solutions.

The problem is that Mainline product is now at least thirty years old, and the plastics in the split chassis mechanism construction are liable to embrittle over time, they degrade even if the model is unused. Also the round pin which locates the half axles in the plastic insulators that make up the split axle wheelset is not the strongest construction in the world, mishanding such as a small drop onto a hard surface can break these or leave them weakened for example. Rather dodgy as purchases as a result, personally I wouldn't bother with them

There was a later somewhat more robust split chassis of different design in the Bachmann continuation of this item: these were sold as separate spares and you might be able to dredge one up. Better than the Mainline, but still liable to failures of a similar nature, and will wear out if used a lot.

The build a chassis option will deliver a good result. Bachmann are slowly working their way through renewals of the split chassis models with a current design chassis version which will be of much better appearance, performance and longevity than the split chassis types. Just when they get around to this one is known only to them however.

I'm not sure I have the skills to make a chassis that runs well, nevermind the cost of buying it to then mess it up. Wheels, motor and gearbox will be onto top of that. But I am greatful for the comments and advice.

I was really looking for confirmation as to whether I have been unlucky or whwther they are very prone to this. It seems the latter!

So the Bachmann version is better, but still not great and I could be wasting more money and time.

Is there a known way to repair the chassis?

Is there an alternative rtr chassis? Maybe from an alternative loco, which only needs minor modification?

Rich

Richard,

Making a Comet Chassis is not as hard as it seems.

Just takes patience and read and reread the instructions, test fit items and it will be a dream.

Comet have good instruction sheets and info online.

As for costs....if it is an issue, get the chassis kit and then when ready get the motor and gearbox.

You won't look back.

Khris

• RMweb Premium

I have the Bachmann model No. 4331 in Great Western livery.

post-14049-0-70755000-1355012073.jpg

The comet chassis is on our workbench waiting to be built but it is not a cheap option.

We bought the 43xx on ebay for £35 but the chassis, gearbox and motor was the best part of £100.

Once the Comet chassis has been built the Bachmann chassis will be going spare.

It seems to run ok but I'm not sure if it would fit the Mainline version but if you're interested please PM me.

• RMweb Premium

I've never tried this, but maybe the Airfix/Hornby Prairie chassis might be worth looking at (same wheel size/spacing as the Mogul). After all, the West Somerset line did the conversion in 12"-1' scale!

Mind you, the Airfix examples could also be pretty dodgy runners!

The Airfix/GMR, Mainline and Hornby prairie tank and the Hornby Grange all have the correct scale 7'0" x 7'9" coupled wheelbase and appropriate size wheels.

A lot of metal would need to be cut away from the prairie chassis to fit the mogul.

Note: The original Airfix prairies had unflanged centre drivers but the GMR Mainline and Hornby have all flanged drivers.

Ian

I looked into the cost to fully upgrade the Mogul using Comet and Gibson parts and the total came out at £112 plus carriage with extra handrail knobs, buffers and wire for adding steam-chest drains. Perhaps time to e-bay your working Bachmann / Mainline GWR Moguls and wait for a new version to appear as a kit or RTR?

Archived