westerham station goods yard

• RMweb Gold

Does any one know how this building was connected to the goods yard, their is mention in one book of a bridge or ramp but I cant find a picture or a better description. I also dont know what they stored or sold. other than that I really dont know anything, so I am putting my faith in the good members of RMB.who may shed some light on my total darkness.please dont suggest a torch!post-17489-0-37990200-1355061634.png

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Many thanks Duncan

Hi

I knew I'd seen a picture somewhere. If you look at http://www.semgonline.com/location/westerhambr_01.html it should help.

There is a realy close external photo and an internal photo of the goods shed on page 2 and one of the exit from the goods yard on page three.

Hope this helps

Duncan

Many thanks Duncan I will check it out

The building (not the goods shed which is situated oposite the station platform) in your photo is in several pictures attached to an article published in British Railways Illustrated in January 1995, together with a nice track-plan showing the lay of the land.

Looking at the photo's there is a footpath, with a single wooden guard rail, leading from the ground floor door and into the goods yard.  Shrubbery is in the way on the better view, but it certainly looks like it's on a bridge with some steps down to the yard at the end of it.

Copyright means that I can't scan the pictures here, but if you can't get hold of the article give me a PM.

Takes me back - we used to call into Westerham on our way back from Sheffield Park to S London once a fortnight.  We had great hopes ....... I've still got a piece of valancing around here somewhere.

Cheers.

Phil

Many thanks Phil.

I have found a copy for sale on the internet, thats really useful information as the only picture that i could find was the one i posted. I hope its dosn't result in a major rebuild!!

I don't know quite how to say this, but........

Sorry mate - Sharpen the craft knife and take a fresh bit of card! :paint: Not that your model isn't very good and atmospheric because it is - it's just not the same building.

You'll see what I mean when you look at the pictures in the article which very clearly show both ends and the front of the store.

Cheers (although perhaps that's not appropriate in the circumstances  :nyam: ).

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I don't know quite how to say this, but........

Sorry mate - Sharpen the craft knife and take a fresh bit of card! :paint: Not that your model isn't very good and atmospheric because it is - it's just not the same building.

You'll see what I mean when you look at the pictures in the article which very clearly show both ends and the front of the store.

Cheers (although perhaps that's not appropriate in the circumstances  :nyam: ).

Phil

Hi Phil

I have just received the copy of BRI v4 no 4 jan 1995 wish you kindly steered me in the direction of. The photos in it are brilliant many I have never seen before.

What I have noticed is, that the pictures in the mag are different to the the ones in the Orpington to Tonbridge book by V Mitchell and K Smith.

The windows have been changed to square ones, the ventilation louvers on the right hand side end have been boarded over, the warehouse gangway door

has been bricked up and the gangway removed, what a difference a few years make from the 1947 pics.PS: my hand is still hovering over the scalpel whether to change the building. or cut my throat thanks :scratchhead:  

Hmmm....... I hadn't checked the Mitchell and Smith book - I see what you mean. A substantial rebuild.

At a guess, and looking at the previous photo' I would say that the picture was taken in the early '60's just prior to closing. What period are you modelling?

I must say I do like the original store. It has a lot of character. :) Reminds me of the John Ahern welsh warehouse Chubber modelled in the card modelling thread (September 2010 in fact). Worth searching for as I can't link to it.

Cheers.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm....... I hadn't checked the Mitchell and Smith book - I see what you mean. A substantial rebuild.

At a guess, and looking at the previous photo' I would say that the picture was taken in the early '60's just prior to closing. What period are you modelling?

I must say I do like the original store. It has a lot of character. :) Reminds me of the John Ahern welsh warehouse Chubber modelled in the card modelling thread (September 2010 in fact). Worth searching for as I can't link to it.

Cheers.

Phil

I am modelling the period late 50's -61ish, useing the track plan before the removal of the Y point linking it to the loading dock, which I notice from those photos has a small pair of steps, something else to add.

The link from the loop to the end dock was certainly severed when the survey of July 1956 was made, but looking at some photo's it might well have been taken out by the late1930s.

If you do decide to bite the bullet post some piccies.

Cheers.

Phil

PS the NRM have track plans as under:

WESTERHAM

26345           SER
                26347           BR(SR)

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I decided to change it, sharpened my knife and hacked away, If only it was that simple.!!! Why is it,that its at least a hundred times harder to change something once its built, than to build it from scratch. I did find out the hard way. Trying to cut new window and door openings in three layers of card made me smile and laugh. Here are some pictures of the results. I will post some more pics on my main site. thanks for the information it was a great help ( I think )   

post-17489-0-08297900-1362743946_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-91057000-1362743965_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-95010100-1362744001_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-24309100-1362744029_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Bullet firmly bitten eh?

Damn good job you made of the mods and a very tidy model. The lettering is especially fine - want to share the secret?

Cheers.

Phil

Still spitting the lead, thanks a lot!! The ghost sign was by my son. done in Photoshop and Illustrator and layed over a screen shot of brick paper, the text had the opacity lowered to show the brick showing through. If I can help anymore just ask.

Archived