Glos & Warks, 27/12/09...

Rugd1022

Nipped down to the Cotswolds yesterday for the now traditional post Boxing Day mini diesel fest, bagged a heap of pics as usual, thought I'd try posting one on the new forum (fingers crossed).

G&W stalwart 47 105 has at last had a pre-Tops makeover and now has it's old number applied all round and working headcodes at both ends :

EDIT : Oh dear, it hasn't worked! Hopefully this will..... http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/4219407431/

Nidge wink.gif

Hello Nidge,

Glad you like the new-look 1693.. we also gave it a T-Cut as well before sticking the new numbers on. Bizarrely, it foxed a couple of people, one of which was overheard in the car park asking where 47105 was (when it was not twenty feet from him...) laugh.gif

You wouldn't think it but it's a damned sight easier getting numbers straight on a 4mm model than it is on the real thing. I still maintain we put them too close to the door but perhaps, after it's repaint, we'll get them better positioned.

I was on '376 all day Sunday which, itself, put it a fantastic performance on it's last trip back from Cheltenham with load 6, a dead (ish) 24 AND 47105 hanging off the back of the stock. Stirring stuff, let me tell you.ohmy.gif laugh.gif

Hi Matt,

Certainly do like the new 'old' look, seeing it like that takes me right back to when I first started number snatching in '73. I reckon you've all done a stirling job.... when I was (constantly) renumbering my Heljan Brush 4s into pre-Tops mode I checked with all my photos and noticed that the edge of the first transfer on the left (the '1' in '1693') and the last one on the right (the '3') lined up vertically with the edge of the grille directly above it on the roof. It's great to see it completely 'in period' now anyway, especially with the blinds up and working at both ends.

I'm surpirised a few folk didn't twig it was '105 though....!

I'm still sorting out the pics I took on Sunday, I did get a few of '376 so you're probably in some of them. Had to leave before the last round trip in the fading light though which was a shame, I usually make a point of staying till the bitter end on the post Boxing Day thrash. Keep an eye on my flickr page mate, I'll be adding some more pics of 1693 soon wink.gif .

I'm looking forward to the day when I'll be able to photograph 1693 amongst the evergreens at Broadway when the northern extension is up and running..... now that will be a picture worth seeing icon_e_biggrin.gif .

I know this is a long shot but one day it would be nice to see Hymek 7029 working on the line again - it was photographed at Cheltenham after coming off the Honeybourne line with a Long Marston to Swindon special goods on 30th January 1974, the pic is in Chris Neill's 'Tribute To The Hymeks' book. Maybe one day eh.

Nidge wink.gif

Hi Guys

Yes it was a cracking day. We sat in the buffet on the maroon Mk1s all afternoon - well we had to with that nice range of EE traction.tongue.gif wink.gif

47376 looked fab although I didn't get any haulage from it due to the above fancy for the 37's. The 24 did sound a tad rough. What was up with it?

248 + 215 = biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif cool.gif on the way back from Chelt RC. Spot on! It didn't matter that my cheeks froze in the cold wind hanging out of the centre door of the buffet car, the smile had certainly stayed on my face for a good while afterwards!

Bring on the next one...

Hi Alex,

The 24 was low on power for it's first trip. All of the locos would have suffered somewhat with the cold and damp in the run up to the gala. Credit is due to the few who went up Boxing Day to prep the locos although they didn't get tot start the 24. It was looking like it may retire after it's first trip but it soldiered on and when paired with '376, we let it do most of the work and it seemed to perk up (probably needed warming through).

Next gala will be 27th and 28th March. We (me and the other roster clerk) have already looked at tweaking the timetable to retain the brake van rides (gotta love them 08's... laugh.gif ) but increasing the trains run. I think the EE/Sulzer split worked quite well and perhaps should be retained although seeing something like 37215 and 47105 in a pair could be interesting.

Hi Matt

I agree that the Sulzer/EE split is a good idea. It's a bit like the Aussies and their Ford v Holden partizan thing, although I'm sure Toddington doesn't get as bad as Bathurst!!!

Any locos visiting in March? Would the 26 be finished by then?

Cheers

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Archived