Why I love US railroading..

PhilH

What I love about that one is the time it was taken - 03:35hrs..!!! Imagine the hue'n'cry if that happenned in the UK..?? A few years back an attempt by EWS to re-introduce rail service to a large Industrial Estate fairly close to where I live had to be abandoned, as it was planned to run it mostly at night, and local residents objected to the potential noise. :rolleyes:

Seems they'd sooner have HGVs rolling past their front doors instead of trains at the bottom of their gardens.... :scratchhead:

Not only that but he waited until 2 or 3 NS coal trains went past (because he wanted the CSX one).

Best, Pete.

Much better photos indeed. In Staufer's 'Thoroughbreds' book on the NYC's Hudsons, there's a couple of photos of trains taken in the 1930s in the street with automobiles and such in play. The trains are of course being pulled by Hudsons...long trains of steel heavyweights. Must have been might impressive to see...

I'm a fan of the RR running through downtown Oakland at Jack London Square. Lived near for awhile and had to wait with the crowds at the traffic lights before crossing the street at the busy Mall area. Was always SP until the last round of mergers.

The quite well-known Santa Monica Blvd. in LA is a past example of the dual street-tracks-street layout. And many roads and even some freeways in LA were road take overs of previous Pacific Electric private ROW's.

Ted

Archived