Hornby 08 DCC Sound with Zimo MX648

Napa1985

My 2nd thread on here, so here goes

after reading and seeing alot of posts and vid's and hearing a Hornby sound 08 (not impressed)

so i fitted a Hornby 08 with Zimo MX648R and a oval speaker

IMAG0848.jpg

first thing i noticed when i opened her up was that the rad grill is removable, excellent so off it comes

IMAG0843.jpg

IMAG0844.jpg

then make a hole in the center, this is the opening for the speaker and you cant see it when grill is back on

IMAG0845.jpg

IMAG0846.jpg

IMAG0847.jpg

IMAG0849.jpg

here's two vid's with both of them done the same way very impressed with the sound :D

I would also like to say thanks to Digitrains and poindexter

• RMweb Gold

When I first heard about DCC Sound I wasn't that bothered, but it is growing on me. How small is the speaker, would it fit inside a Bachmann Pannier tank for example?

Kind regards,

Nick

(Your 08 is certainly a nice smooth runner too.)

Did you find room for a capacitor pack too? would help over points etc

i could just get one in but i've not had any problems with 08 on points, sometimes with the 03 but thats in pipeline ;)

When I first heard about DCC Sound I wasn't that bothered, but it is growing on me. How small is the speaker, would it fit inside a Bachmann Pannier tank for example?

Kind regards,

Nick

(Your 08 is certainly a nice smooth runner too.)

i'm sure there would be a speaker that could go in there (check out my dcc sound class 03 post) i couldnt advise you never had one to play withie pull apart lol

John

Very useful thread for me, thanks. I am waiting to see whether Hornby announce a suitably liveried Class 08 with sound on Monday and would then have the decoder reblown. However, you've provided a useful alternative; I don't like the idea of cutting a hole in the end of such a lovely model, but as your photo shows, it's hidden when the grilles are put back on.

Was it easy to get the decoder to sit somewhere, sound decoders normally being larger than non-sound ones?

Very useful thread for me, thanks. I am waiting to see whether Hornby announce a suitably liveried Class 08 with sound on Monday and would then have the decoder reblown. However, you've provided a useful alternative; I don't like the idea of cutting a hole in the end of such a lovely model, but as your photo shows, it's hidden when the grilles are put back on.

Was it easy to get the decoder to sit somewhere, sound decoders normally being larger than non-sound ones?

Zimo MX648R is only 20x11x4mm the speaker is 25x14mm its leave a fair bit of room decoder sits across the motor without any problem just make sure to wrap wire round so you lose the extra, thanks for you comments fella

John

• 1 month later...

As no suitable sound equipped 08 was announced by Hornby for 2013, I've purchased a blue version to install my own decoder in over the next few months.  I'll take it apart in the next few days to size up the project.  One question before I break something: what's the best way to remove the radiator grille please?  Does it push out from the back, are there fragile clips holding it in and so on? 

As no suitable sound equipped 08 was announced by Hornby for 2013, I've purchased a blue version to install my own decoder in over the next few months.  I'll take it apart in the next few days to size up the project.  One question before I break something: what's the best way to remove the radiator grille please?  Does it push out from the back, are there fragile clips holding it in and so on? 

i just took a file to the glue on the inside of the body then pushed the 4 lugs from the inside of the body, works well and havent had to use glue to fix it back in place so it makes it removable if i need to, which is handy for doing these lights, hope this helps

John

• 1 year later...

Hi.

I want to restart this this thread as I am planning to fit sound to a Hornby 08.

I am really impressed with Zimo decoders, having bought one for my Bachy 47 from Rail exclusives. However, I am also willing to consider Loksound 4 with Legoman sound as I am impressed with this. I want a stayalive function as I think that this is good for a short wheelbase loco.

Given that technology has moved on since this thread was started what would fellow RMwebbers recommend for decoder, sound file and speakers? For the decoder, can I get stayalive with the Loksound decoder? I see that ESU have a 5460 Energystore but will this fit in the confined space in an 08?

For the speakers, I am sure I have read somewhere that two sugarcubes, one in the cab and one behind the radiator is a good idea.

Any wise advice much appreciated.

Also, Happy New Year!

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Pure coincidence, I was at Digitrains yesterday with Paul Chetter, and amongst other things, he and Jeremy demonstrated a new (?) Zimo thin flat stay alive capacitor fitted in the cab of an 08 out of sight.

It's sells for £25 but boy, does it perform! Paul had a class 47 on demo which I think had the same cap fitted, and when fully charged, with the loco running and sound on, he took it off the track, and it ran along the baseboard for several seconds!

Very impressive, I didn't see the 08 running, but the 47 was impressive.

Jeremy warned that you do have to set the CV which limits the run-on time, otherwise there are likely to be a few buffer crashes!

Regards,

Alan

PS. We were also treated to the charms of Bittern chuffing on it's very last chuff, at Lincoln station! Not 100 yards from the shop!

An update to my earlier post, DigiTrains sell the SuperCap 68 for £22.00 and not £25 as I said, (thanks Jeremy for reminding me),

And they work with just the 2 wires and no additional electronics if you are running MX 644D or MX 645

Note to John (Napa 1985)

Where did you get the lights for the 08 ?

Are they bulbs or LED?

Regards,

Alan.

• 3 weeks later...

An update to my earlier post, DigiTrains sell the SuperCap 68 for £22.00 and not £25 as I said, (thanks Jeremy for reminding me),

And they work with just the 2 wires and no additional electronics if you are running MX 644D or MX 645

Note to John (Napa 1985)

Where did you get the lights for the 08 ?

Are they bulbs or LED?

Regards,

Alan.

Drop Jason a email, great kits very easy to fit have done loads with his kits

pindropdriver@hotmail.com

John Gay (Napa1985)

Have to say, I found this thread extremely useful :) I put the sound in a few weeks back
I didn't opt for installing lights though as a bit of cba came into the equation lol

One thing i have noticed is the stay alive doesnt seem to work as I installed the standard capacitor that you get with the decoders from digitrains but  its having no effect at all (its wired properly). is it worth getting the supercap68 as the loco may need that extra capacitance? just a fair bit of money for a capacitor.

Cheers

200uF will run the loco for less than 1/10th of a second. It will make a small difference to pickup crackles, but not visibly move the loco. I'd use at least 1000uF if space is available, and ideally more.

6800uF is a reasonable amount of storage, should give visible running with loss of power.

160,000uF (0.16F) should give many seconds of running (perhaps 30 seconds).

As for price, capacitors packaged by decoder makers will always attract a premium price. For the premium, you know the parts are correctly selected for the job. If you know what you should order, they will be available cheaper from electronics suppliers.

Have to say, I found this thread extremely useful :) I put the sound in a few weeks back

I didn't opt for installing lights though as a bit of cba came into the equation lol

One thing i have noticed is the stay alive doesnt seem to work as I installed the standard capacitor that you get with the decoders from digitrains but  its having no effect at all (its wired properly). is it worth getting the supercap68 as the loco may need that extra capacitance? just a fair bit of money for a capacitor.

Cheers

The standard 220uF capacitor will not turn the wheels by a decernable amount with a non-sound decoder. Sound uses more power still so even less travel.

The SC68 is a relatively expensive option which gives 6800uF capacitance. With sound on, this will turn your 08 wheels by about a quarter, plenty for any specks of dirt on the track and most dead frog sections. The real advantage is that it packs this amount of storage into a compact flat design, easilly fitted in tight spaces or disguised on cab floors. 

Kind regards,

Paul

All,

I've found on the internet a 6800uF capacitor for less than a few quid, however it is rated at 16V and the zimo 6800uF capacitor is rated at 15V. Should I install the one I found on the net, would it work or would it cause damage to the sound chip?

Cheers

Jamie

All,

I've found on the internet a 6800uF capacitor for less than a few quid, however it is rated at 16V and the zimo 6800uF capacitor is rated at 15V. Should I install the one I found on the net, would it work or would it cause damage to the sound chip?

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie,

Don't tease, give us the link.

Generally, 16v will be fine, but unless we know the physical size of the one you have discovered we can't say if it will fit. Unless it is a Tantalum or Supercapacitor a capacitor of 6800uF will be huge in comparison to a 4mm model.

Also, ZIMO small decoder manual suggests 5000uF as the safe mximum for 'normal' electrolytic capacitors as excessive heat can build up on the decoder. The miniaturised MX648 has components packed together tightly so is potentially more susceptable to problems caused by excessive heat. This limit point is rather moot, but I mention it for completeness.

Kind regards,

Paul

Paul,

I made the rookie mistake of not checking the dimensions of them, the capacitors i found were 16x25mm circular ones. A tad too big for an 08, but i suppose you can fit them in the likes of a 47 etc.

Luckily, I have fitted the MX645's to my locos (08 included too) so a 6800uF may be ok.

Heres the link to the one i found http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium-capacitors/7395267. I may get it and see how it performs in my Heljan 47 as they certainly need alot of juice to get going

Cheers

Jamie

Zimo's stay alive product is called SuperCap68, which is a very neat little block giving a massive 6800uF. There are a couple of examples of it in install guides on the YouChoos website... Try the Class 03/04 guide for example.

John

I've just fitted this product to my Hornby 08 and am totally impressed and cannot fault it. Hassle free, EASY install (watch this space) and faultlesa, joyful running is to be had.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just fitted a MX645R with 2 sugarcubes and a SC68 'stayalive' capacitor to a Hornby gronk. The decoder is programmed with Paul's latest sound files and all I can say is WOW, WOW! I was so excited that I got my wife to leave watching Corrie to hear it. Admittedly she was less impressed and gave me that 'if it makes you happy' look.

In my view the sound is the best gronk sound that I have heard. Paul has included some lovely innovative driving functions which allows the loco to alternatively 'gurgle' and coast using F6 and F7. I could say so much more and think that best thing for me to do is post with a YouTube clip once I have fitted the body back on. Watch this space!

Andrew

Archived