Help needed on plan for early 90's terminus in South Yorks

russellwar

Hi guys,

I am wondering if anyone would like to add any comments and thoughts to my ideas and trackplan. This will be a stay at home project and it is mainly to satisfy my desire to play trains :yes:

Shown in the pic are 3 boards (each 1.25m long). There will be 4th where I a stood giving a total length of 5m.

ScreenShot2012-12-13at150231.png

From here there will be a short fiddle yard board making an L shape to the right of where the camera is and then there will be at somepoint a further extension to allow a full length train. Maybe a traverser. This will run down the other wall creating a U shape.

My aims

My era is late 80’s early 90s round the midlands, south Yorkshire.

I want somewhere to run my extensive loco and dmu stock.

Incorporate a terminus that will allow loco changes on 6-7 coach trains.

Allow an amount of parcels movements and possibly some freight movements

Set in an urban environment.

So my thinking

Back end of layout will be back of station and classic terminus. Left side is highwall and low relief. Operator and view side are the same – middle of U

(letters refer to photo)

A – Platforms 1 & 2 – a classic centre road 2 platform arrangement

B – platforms 3 and 4

To the right platform 5 and a head shunt or parcels sidings

C – mainlines in

D – Area here for something

E – Small shed allowing DMU storage and or loco storage

So my Dilemmas

P1 & 2 and mainlines

Not sure the prototypical way to get the 2 mainlines in C into the 2 platforms and access to centre road (terminus end will be 2 points and a y point arrangement) and then also access to P3,4 & 5

There is room for a crossover (the point half hanging off the board on the missing baseboard so this will be stretched in the camera direction

The line to the right of C mainline is being considered as a bidirectional in/out line or a head shunt (old line that was left in place)

Next P5 and head shunt –

Anyone got any suggestions here of a typical arrangement –

Ie does it need a run round at the terminal end, or do I add 2 lines to the right of P5 with a run round or simply add a parcels platform to the right of P5

Area D – any suggestions for this area

In my head.

Additional dmu, carriage or parcels sidings

Civil enginners

Scrap yard

Metals depot

Obviously modeling something will limit the amount of freight run

Any ideas that people can throw at it, I am really glad to hear

Thanks

Russell

• 1 month later...

Decided to tackle this from a different route

I want to be able to run my stock in an at least half prototypical way  grin.gif

I have a large selection of Units an also a liking for parcels stock. 

So can anyone give me names of places I may be able to research from around the early 90's for places that pocess any of the following:

1. 3-5 Platform Terminus, with Run rounds for loco hauled
2. DMU stabling points or small sidings 
3. Parcels sidings, depots or stations with Parcel loading (probably finished by then)

If anyone would care to throw place names at me, i will gladly look into these places and see how they caninfluence my plans

Thanks

Russell

Archived