A Christmas Present layout

traction

• RMweb Gold

Sometime ago my dad asked me to take his layout down which was taking up half of his spare room.

After building my little shunting plank layout he had a go and said how good it was and that he would have loved to have made that sort of layout just shunting the wagons.

With this in mind I thought I'd build a simple inglenook layout so he won't need a lot of room but he can still have some shunting fun.

I had all of the track and the scenery, although did buy a few more trees.

The only thing I did buy was the 8 Peco wagons and Class 08 shunter, as before I've fitted the "Elsie" lifting arms to the wagons.

It's DC controlled by the Stapleton Varipulse controller which gives great slow speed control.

I've used Seep point motors cut in half for the electromagnetic de-couplers, these are controlled via the Heathcote electronics dual timer board, so that a press of the push button causes the timer to run and energize the coil for about 4-5secs.

I'm actually powering these coils by a 9v PP3 battery and it all works really well!

A few little bits to finish off but For a very small Inglenook shunting puzzle I think my dad will be rather pleased with it.

post-6745-0-01421400-1355444712.jpg

post-6745-0-95722800-1355444705.jpg

post-6745-0-63045100-1355444708.jpg

post-6745-0-50606600-1355444710.jpg

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Premium

This looks really, really nice and just the sort of thing MY Dad would appreciate; although he prefers OO because of his eyesight!!

If you don't mind a bit of advice I would add some weight to the wagons as the Peco ones are so free-running the couplings sometimes don't 'latch'...

I'm sure your Dad will enjoy it; what a lovely present :)

David

It looks a fantastic present and I am sure that a lot of people of all ages would be glad to get such a well made little module. I like the way you have put a tunnel going off scene, it really got my mind racing as to where does this lead. Have you built it with the possibility of expansion? Perhaps another set of sidings or a small station module?

I agree, this is really nice.

One thing that put me off N gauge shunting was that I'd read that the Elsie-type lifting arm method was unreliable, but this was with the standard Seep/Gaugemaster electromagnet. Do you find your method works consistently?

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for the kind comments.

This looks really, really nice and just the sort of thing MY Dad would appreciate; although he prefers OO because of his eyesight!!

David

Hi David, watch this space as I've a similar thing in mind in OO but again there is a method and reasoning behind it.

It looks a fantastic present and I am sure that a lot of people of all ages would be glad to get such a well made little module. I like the way you have put a tunnel going off scene, it really got my mind racing as to where does this lead. Have you built it with the possibility of expansion? Perhaps another set of sidings or a small station module?

Hi Stephen, the only reason for the tunnel was to make it look like the trains had somewhere to go, as it's for my dad who has limited space I think he will just leave it as is, one thing I need to do is make a sliding door to cover the tunnel so if he looses control the loco won't shoot off the end!

I agree, this is really nice.

One thing that put me off N gauge shunting was that I'd read that the Elsie-type lifting arm method was unreliable, but this was with the standard Seep/Gaugemaster electromagnet. Do you find your method works consistently?

So far they do work consistently, even powered by the PP3 battery!!

As the power is going through a normally open contact on the dual timer board I can play about a bit so the electromagnet stays on for a little long, which isn't proving too much of a problem when powering the coils with a battery.

The coil resistance of the standard Peco electromagnet is much higher than one of the coils cut from the Seep point motor, I did notice that using the same power supply on both coils gave VERY different amounts of magnetism, the Seep coil producing a lot more and hence lifting the arm every time.

I'm sure the Peco ones would be just as good but I would guess a bigger power supply would be needed.

I have also added weight into each wagon and the open wagons will also have a weight put into the bottom then covered with cinders or ballast for the load.

Again thanks for the replies much appreciated.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

A few more photo's as it's about finished.

Just need to fill the open wagons with loads to hide the extra weight and then take photos of all of them to act as the shuffle cards.

post-6745-0-64848000-1355584198_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-11645400-1355584209_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-95757200-1355584219_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-44341100-1355584230_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-59143800-1355584240_thumb.jpg

The mimic diagram was done using Any-rail then printed out, stuck to 2mm thick cardboard and then good old fashioned "Sticky back Plastic" put across the top to protect it.

The whole layout is built on 10mm thick foam-board laminated to 2mm thick cardboard, makes for quite a strong structure at this size.

post-6745-0-24534400-1355584656_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-78718900-1355584664_thumb.jpg

The above picture shows the side of the layout with the tunnel sliding door.

The PP3 battery pack to operate the electromagnetic coils for uncoupling and the quick release push buttons for connecting the power supply.

Cheers

Ian

Archived