Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

On my workbench the past few days has been my Sonic J50 conversion - wheels now painted and on a test run...

20230627_233406.jpg.284a219ebd7c51be7e7405179634d410.jpg

Also, my NCB Austerity No. 8 finally has its new chassis under it...

20230627_234905.jpg.7bd14a2df9e149256c002e02b705d9e8.jpg

Both need couplings and No. 8 will get a spot of weathering.

This is effectively a rebuild of my first 2FS loco from over 20 years ago - now updated with a proper chassis to replace the original Farish/Ballantine wheels conversion. It's also had a full repaint and updated detailing using etches and details that have become available since its first iteration.

Cheers,

John

Edited by yaxxbarl
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

Initial track testing for the Area groups proposed  plank  looks like the nearest point needs a tweak or two

I'd say that either the between checks is a bit wide or the back-to-back on the C is a bit tight.  If the Jinty and diseasel were OK, the latter is what I'd check first.

Jim

• Thanks 1

On 28/06/2023 at 00:29, yaxxbarl said:

On my workbench the past few days has been my Sonic J50 conversion - wheels now painted and on a test run...

20230627_233406.jpg.284a219ebd7c51be7e7405179634d410.jpg

Also, my NCB Austerity No. 8 finally has its new chassis under it...

20230627_234905.jpg.7bd14a2df9e149256c002e02b705d9e8.jpg

Both need couplings and No. 8 will get a spot of weathering.

This is effectively a rebuild of my first 2FS loco from over 20 years ago - now updated with a proper chassis to replace the original Farish/Ballantine wheels conversion. It's also had a full repaint and updated detailing using etches and details that have become available since its first iteration.

Cheers,

John

If you want to see how British N gauge RTR has come in the last few years (decades?) these two photos are it.

Chris

• Agree 4

On 01/07/2023 at 08:24, Chris Higgs said:

If you want to see how British N gauge RTR has come in the last few years (decades?) these two photos are it.

Chris

I'll dig out a picture as what's probably more as interesting is no.8 as it was when first converted in the early 2000s compared to now. Certainly the proper chassis under it as opposed to the initial Ballantine conversion does make a difference!

As I've said already my Austerity is a reworking of one of my first 2FS models - here's a photo of it from 2008 compared with now showing what 15 years of progress makes...

2008 - Ballantine wheels on Farish Chassis...

2008_1018_125439.JPG.0dc4ff2d7ac367e7f32d946f780708c1.JPG

2023 - Association chassis to correct spacing, RT Models detailing etch

20230704_000633.jpg.152f7599e609c93464bd4acf826ddfe4.jpg

Ultimately there needs to be a new generation of Hunslet Austerity Tank model as a basis, but it's probably still years off since the proposed DJ Models one failed to appear.

Cheers,

John

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

From the smaller upside down area group - two Harris minerals and an assoc V23 on the bench, with two Ex Southern opens departing. 

I'm rather grateful for the printed buffers and axleboxes which have sped up the process. 

20230705_132505.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Grrr. Looking at the 2MT last night while trying to figure out how to make some valve covers  I realised I have fitted the expansion links back to front. Also the combination levers seem to be about 0.75mm short compared to the Roche drawing, which means the radius rod sits almost horizontal rather than being angled upwards towards the front.  The union link looks to be attached slightly lower on the crosshead which doesn't help, downside of using Black Five bits I suppose. Question: do I go back and have another go (and risk ruining all my previous work) or leave it as it is and be pestered by rivet counters at shows for evermore?

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

It's a common enough mistake but it's really glaring even in 2mm. Don't take the Roche drawing as gospel there are lots of errors in these. It looks as if you have it in mid gear, in which case the radius rod doesn't move so the easiest way to stop it waggling about is to solder it to the valve spindle which you don't appear to have fitted yet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/07/2023 at 10:00, yaxxbarl said:

As I've said already my Austerity is a reworking of one of my first 2FS models - here's a photo of it from 2008 compared with now showing what 15 years of progress makes...

2008 - Ballantine wheels on Farish Chassis...

2008_1018_125439.JPG.0dc4ff2d7ac367e7f32d946f780708c1.JPG

2023 - Association chassis to correct spacing, RT Models detailing etch

20230704_000633.jpg.152f7599e609c93464bd4acf826ddfe4.jpg

Ultimately there needs to be a new generation of Hunslet Austerity Tank model as a basis, but it's probably still years off since the proposed DJ Models one failed to appear.

Cheers,

John

Couldn't agree more, John. Absolute plethora of choices in 4mm scale but no sign of an N version since the aborted Jones project. I always hoped that RT would do a 'normal' cab etch to consign that ridiculous Poole cab side cut-out to the dustbin of history but it has never happened.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, DavidLong said:

Couldn't agree more, John. Absolute plethora of choices in 4mm scale but no sign of an N version since the aborted Jones project. I always hoped that RT would do a 'normal' cab etch to consign that ridiculous Poole cab side cut-out to the dustbin of history but it has never happened.

David

Agreed, a new generation austerity would be nice. Mine is a hybrid of white metal (Marsh?) and a brass footplate on an Association chassis. Bit crude but looks the part - I really must put a bit of paint over those wires!

Jerry

IMG_0872.jpeg.62fc17ba31adda7709fc938b1b24b75d.jpegIMG_0871.jpeg.4fe07054cca4c6debd22ac537d72effc.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

37 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Agreed, a new generation austerity would be nice. Mine is a hybrid of white metal (Marsh?) and a brass footplate on an Association chassis. Bit crude but looks the part - I really must put a bit of paint over those wires!

Jerry

IMG_0872.jpeg.62fc17ba31adda7709fc938b1b24b75d.jpegIMG_0871.jpeg.4fe07054cca4c6debd22ac537d72effc.jpeg

Yes, that does look good - I actually have a Marsh white metal kit for an Austerity so I may have a look into combining it with detailing parts from the RT Models etch.

The main thing I'd have to do with the etch is slim down the etched cab back a little - I'll need to check how their rear window spacing compares with the Marsh castings.

Cheers,

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, yaxxbarl said:

Yes, that does look good - I actually have a Marsh white metal kit for an Austerity so I may have a look into combining it with detailing parts from the RT Models etch.

The main thing I'd have to do with the etch is slim down the etched cab back a little - I'll need to check how their rear window spacing compares with the Marsh castings.

Cheers,

John

I think that combination would be the best approach at the moment John. I don’t think the RT etch was available when I did mine otherwise I would have used it. 
Im a fan of grubby industrials with chevrons  - it’s the only working steam I remember from the early 70s. One day I’ll do a little cameo for them to play on - it’s on the list!

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, queensquare said:

Jerry

That Austerity has an excellent name, Jerry. I thought that you were a Gas man rather a fellow Gooner😄

David

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DavidLong said:

That Austerity has an excellent name, Jerry. I thought that you were a Gas man rather a fellow Gooner😄

David

Its Highbury in Somerset though my Dad was a Gooner! 😊

Jerry

23 minutes ago, Doncaster Green said:

This may seem like a silly question, but I've seen a number of references to an RT etch in relation to the Austerity.  What does it cover and where would I get one?

John

John,

Here's the link to RT Model's 2mm detailing parts page - https://rtmodels.co.uk/rt_models_009.htm

Currently, the Austerity detailing etch, the Lambton Cab etch and a Sentinel body are listed.

Cheers,

John

• Thanks 1

On 05/07/2023 at 17:39, yaxxbarl said:

John,

Here's the link to RT Model's 2mm detailing parts page - https://rtmodels.co.uk/rt_models_009.htm

Currently, the Austerity detailing etch, the Lambton Cab etch and a Sentinel body are listed.

Cheers,

John

Jerry,

A bit of research on Shapeways shows that Recreation21/Rue d'Etropal does indeed do an Austerity body - https://www.shapeways.com/product/6F9KTM9NN/b-148fs-j94-austerity-loco?optionId=299292697&li=marketplace

I'll have to see if I feel like paying the postage BUT that combined with the RT etch might be another option. I'd really need to get one and see and also work out how where I'm going to put some weight in it!

Cheers,

John

• Like 1

Searching through my gloat box, I came across one of David Eveleigh's etches, labelled "LNWR single bolster chassis". It seems a good match to a Diagram 12 Timber Wagon, or its counterpart Diagram 13 Twin Timber Wagon. The brake gear is not quite the same as that depicted in LNWR Wagons Volume 1 but could well be a later modification. Since there are two chassis on the etch, I opted for Diagram 13. The etch only provides for a base, fold down sides, W irons, brakes and axle boxes, there are no ends or any form of body. The ends came from my spares box. One end has conventional buffers, the other a circular version. The latter I cut from a slice of brass tube, infilled with solder.

P1022601.JPG.391d45cb6753d2da17e70fd090afc517.JPG

The body is a simple styrene structure. The prototype bolster was made from a block of 10 inch timber. Searching for something suitable with which to make it, I hit on turnout sleepers, glued back-to-back. The lower one was drilled to take a 12 BA bolt with the head chopped off to act as a pivot. The bolt will be shortened after final assembly. The stanchions are 0.5mm brass and small loops were added from phosphor bronze. The curved guides were made by scanning the plan, reducing to actual size and using the print as a template to cut thin styrene. The long bar joins the two bolsters from below, making it rather like a very short bogie wagon.

P1022603.JPG.a5e7bd31ce96c9c2ffc67ba7f4f9f458.JPG

Painting will have to wait for the weather to get warmer.

Duncan

Edited by DuncanFogg
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Work on Kirkallanmuir has somewhat stalled over recent months as I've been working on other things (2 locos and a set of 65ft carriages, among others).  At present I'm working on a water tank for the F&C groups new layout 'Mearns Shed'. (see the blog).  It is based on the one at Forfar which sat on a stone base with 4 windows in the front. 

The base is constructed from 40thou styrene with a 20 thou cornice round the top.   The tank, windows and door were on my latest sheet of etches which arrived last week and so allowed me to get started on this.

watertank1.JPG.06119e3d5b258b97362ddec10721fec6.JPG

The base with the windows and door.

The windows for the shed itself were also on the etch and have been soldered up so that they can all be painted together.  The tank, also on the etch, has been put together, glued to a 40thou base, which has been shaped to form the bottom of the tank, and fitted with a piece of styrene which will become the water surface.

The stonework is a download from Smart Models, the colour manipulated in Microsoft Picture manager and then a screen snip imported into AutoCAD where the quoins and window surrounds were added, in the same way as I did for the warehouse on Kirkallanmuir.

watertank2.JPG.f5e38f091a6070197755e5afa686b03e.JPG

Windows and door ready for painting (the slips of paper are to prevent the paint clogging the space for the glazing to be slipped in) and the tank sitting on the base.  The paper overlay is just lightly tacked on with Pritt, so the window reveals are not folded in.

Jim

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

One of these almost certainly was motivated by Jerry. One less wagon clogging the gloat box and absolutely useless for my needs. 

The others are a step towards building more plain workaday wagons using the fencehouses chassis. 

20230717_184905.jpg

• Like 8