Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

The water tank for Mearns Shed is now completed.

watertank4.JPG.82f86dc11450c88c13a120a62d097662.JPG

The strange white circles around the inlet and overflow pipes are light reflections off the surface of the varnish 'water'.

The shed windows have also been painted and glazed.

Shedwindows.JPG.f0c93c6a07e67244490024149f2fa6dc.JPG

The astragals on the one with the two 'Xs' on have a wee bit of distortion, so it can go on the back wall where it won't be seen so readily.

On to the roof-lights next.

Jim

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 07/07/2023 at 11:35, yaxxbarl said:

Jerry,

A bit of research on Shapeways shows that Recreation21/Rue d'Etropal does indeed do an Austerity body - https://www.shapeways.com/product/6F9KTM9NN/b-148fs-j94-austerity-loco?optionId=299292697&li=marketplace

I'll have to see if I feel like paying the postage BUT that combined with the RT etch might be another option. I'd really need to get one and see and also work out how where I'm going to put some weight in it!

Cheers,

John

Jerry, David,  John,

So I took the plunge and ordered a pair of Recreation21's 3d Austerity prints, and here's one with Farish body for comparison.

Initial verdict is that, given some work on the body, there is potential.

The underside of the boiler needs cutting away to accommodate the mechanism, and there is plenty room for lead sheet inside the boiler and the bunker. The bunker is an actual bunker too, so scope both for the lead weight and a suitable pile of coal on top. I'll be adding some 44swg wire round the top of the bunker to represent the beading round the top edge. On the print there's no representation of any lamp irons so on the bunker and elsewhere these will be added using scrap bits of nickel silver etch.

The foot plate does bend easily, so this will be reinforced with some nickel silver sheet and some strips of scrap etch underneath. Length wise the body is longer than the Farish one, but this is because it is actually the correct scale size for 1:148 N Gauge, rather than being sized to fit the Farish 08 chassis/4P Chassis block. There will be a need for a suitable bit of packing between the association chassis and the buffer beams, I envisage this being sleeper PCB onto which I'll solder the DG couplings.

There is raised beading around the front and rear cab windows, this will be cut off to allow the RT etches to be used. On the rear cab etch, if using the as-built round spectacle plates trimming the RT Etch round the edges will allow it to fit whilst preserving the slight overhang both front and rear of the roof which is missing on the Farish casting. A nice feature of the 3d print, that! For the BR/LNER bunker cabs a bit more modification to the cab back is needed, for the Cromford and High Peak examples sans bunker I'm going to splice it in 3 to keep the central door for access to the lamp iron intact.

For the cab side opening, this is much more like the real thing though possibly still not quite round enough in the corners. I'll be widening the door aperture slightly and using some nickel silver strip to add the beading round the cab sides and I'll be adding in some handrails.

The tank and boiler has no representation of the handrails printed on, which is actually a good thing in my book as it'll make marking out the holes for handrails much easier.

Also, the printed steps will be cut off and those on the RT Etch used, together with the reversing rod and a spare N Brass lubricator casting will complete the footplate.

The buffers will also be chopped off and replaced with brass ones BUT there does seem to be a representation of the bolts printed on so the buffer beams will, for now, be kept. 

Hopefully, I'll have something to show in a week or two/three's time...

Cheers,

John

20230721_095046.jpg

Edited by yaxxbarl
Extra info on chassis length and buffers
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, yaxxbarl said:

Jerry, David,  John,

So I took the plunge and ordered a pair of Recreation21's 3d Austerity prints, and here's one with Farish body for comparison.

Initial verdict is that, given some work on the body, there is potential.

The underside of the boiler needs cutting away to accommodate the mechanism, and there is plenty room for lead sheet inside the boiler and the bunker. The bunker is an actual bunker too, so scope both for the lead weight and a suitable pile of coal on top. I'll be adding some 44swg wire round the top of the bunker to represent the beading round the top edge. On the print there's no representation of any lamp irons so on the bunker and elsewhere these will be added using scrap bits of nickel silver etch.

The foot plate does bend easily, so this will be reinforced with some nickel silver sheet and some strips of scrap etch underneath. Length wise the body is longer than the Farish one, but this is because it is actually the correct scale size for 1:148 N Gauge, rather than being sized to fit the Farish 08 chassis/4P Chassis block. There will be a need for a suitable bit of packing between the association chassis and the buffer beams, I envisage this being sleeper PCB onto which I'll solder the DG couplings.

There is raised beading around the front and rear cab windows, this will be cut off to allow the RT etches to be used. On the rear cab etch, if using the as-built round spectacle plates trimming the RT Etch round the edges will allow it to fit whilst preserving the slight overhang both front and rear of the roof which is missing on the Farish casting. A nice feature of the 3d print, that! For the BR/LNER bunker cabs a bit more modification to the cab back is needed, for the Cromford and High Peak examples sans bunker I'm going to splice it in 3 to keep the central door for access to the lamp iron intact.

For the cab side opening, this is much more like the real thing though possibly still not quite round enough in the corners. I'll be widening the door aperture slightly and using some nickel silver strip to add the beading round the cab sides and I'll be adding in some handrails.

The tank and boiler has no representation of the handrails printed on, which is actually a good thing in my book as it'll make marking out the holes for handrails much easier.

Also, the printed steps will be cut off and those on the RT Etch used, together with the reversing rod and a spare N Brass lubricator casting will complete the footplate.

The buffers will also be chopped off and replaced with brass ones BUT there does seem to be a representation of the bolts printed on so the buffer beams will, for now, be kept. 

Hopefully, I'll have something to show in a week or two/three's time...

Cheers,

John

20230721_095046.jpg

What is the layering like on the print, John? I'm not much of a fan of Shapeways prints as they tend to have a lot of visible layering.

David

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, DavidLong said:

What is the layering like on the print, John? I'm not much of a fan of Shapeways prints as they tend to have a lot of visible layering.

David

The layering was pretty fine - I went with the finest quality available and the only places I've really felt any roughness were on the saddle tank and roof, and a rub over with some ultra fine glasspaper has smoothed it out. I suppose the real proof in this pudding is in the painting, I imagine any layering I've not got yet will show up after a coat of primer!

Cheers,

John

Edited by yaxxbarl
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/07/2023 at 10:38, yaxxbarl said:

........Length wise the body is longer than the Farish one, but this is because it is actually the correct scale size for 1:148 N Gauge, rather than being sized to fit the Farish 08 chassis/4P Chassis block. There will be a need for a suitable bit of packing between the association chassis and the buffer beams, I envisage this being sleeper PCB onto which I'll solder the DG couplings...........

Hi John

Like you I have been considering the 3D print, but, following your comments, I wondered how far out the Farish body actually is and whether it was worth carrying on with the conversion I'm currently doing.  To that end I ran a digital spanner over the unconverted example I have stashed away; well, what else are you supposed to do on a wet Saturday, and don't say go to Tesco's - I tried that and it was heaving!

All the sources I have agree that the full size measurements are:

Length over buffers                                       30ft 4ins  (which scales to 62.47mm at 1:148)

Length over buffer beams                            26ft 9ins  (which scales to 55.09mm at 1:148)

The results from my measurements:

Length over buffers                                       62.45mm

Length over buffer beams                            54.67mm

None of my sources quote a width figure of any sort but the calipers showed 17.7mm which scales up to approx. 8ft 7ins; possibly a touch over sized but not unreasonable.  With measurements this close to scale I'm happy to carry on with them, particularly as the Association chassis is an almost perfect fit and they are a lot less fragile than a 3D print - a decided benefit from my, ham- fisted, point of view.

Both the examples I have, the one that is currently being chopped about and the one awaiting, are, judging by the plastic box and card wrapper, post Bachmann takeover and probably Chinese production.  Both of them have a separate, plastic moulding for the cab roof which displays the correct lip over the front and back.  Also a separate plastic moulding to represent the coal in the bunker, although it looks more like dust than lumps!  I am wondering if they represent revised tooling compared to the old Poole lump.

Regards

John

• Like 2

Some work in progress shots of the new Austerity body - I've finished with the hacking bits off stage and now on to detailing -

20230724_111727.jpg.cb1485d760f98272e885b2e6c90df0f3.jpg

20230724_111736.jpg.a3cc2d7e187dc53fe12230f41ee9d970.jpg

Main work thus far -

• Steps and Reversing rod from RT Models Etch added
  • New Cab rear windows from trimmed down cab back on RT Models etch, RT cab front window etches applied and front windows on 3d print enlarged to match.
  • New footplate from brass shim, with lubricator and lamp irons soldered to it before fitting
  • Lengths of 1.5mm nickel silver strip glued under footplate for strengthening
  • Replacement chimney using Farish J94 chimney
  • Initial weights added in bunker (lead) and cab sides, cab sides are white metal bits which also act to reinforce cab sides.
  • Safety valve aperture cut from tank, valves made cut from an N Brass LNWR Coal tank casting, also reduced in height and soldered to a piece of brass shim.

Next jobs -

• Bunker - top beading + lamp irons
  • Cab Beading
  • Handrails
  • Injectors under cab (assemble & fit)
  • Add whistle (make from 0.5mm brass wire)
  • Add remaining weights
  • Add chassis spacers
  • Buffers

...and then it'll be off to the paint shops for a coat of primer before cleaning up.

Cheers,

John

Edited by yaxxbarl
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 22/07/2023 at 18:11, Doncaster Green said:

None of my sources quote a width figure of any sort but the calipers showed 17.7mm which scales up to approx. 8ft 7ins; possibly a touch over sized but not unreasonable.  With measurements this close to scale I'm happy to carry on with them, particularly as the Association chassis is an almost perfect fit and they are a lot less fragile than a 3D print - a decided benefit from my, ham- fisted, point of view.

8' 2 1/2".  Here's a photo of the works drawing

Chris

no5272-5321ministryofsupplyausteritytankengine.jpg.5e65539f32d7f1b0750604c2433715fb.jpg

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chris Higgs said:

Chris

no5272-5321ministryofsupplyausteritytankengine.jpg.5e65539f32d7f1b0750604c2433715fb.jpg

Thanks for that Chris.  It confirms the dimensioned side view I have.  I imported that to a design package, scaled it to 1:148 and compared it to the Farish casting; I was very surprised at how close they were.  The smoke door to cab front length is maybe 0.5 mm short, but otherwise everything seemed very close.  The cab side cut out is the wrong shape, particularly the corners, but I have “a plan” for that!

Regards

John

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chris Higgs said:

Chris

Chris,

Yes, thanks for posting this - I have been working from Don Townsley's drawings in an old issue of Model Railways Illustrated but this, as in a lot of works drawings, adds a lot of detail that you can almost read like a book.

One thing at least, looking at the positioning of the valve gear it does explain the wheel spacing now!

My model's up to having the handrails put on, I've done the main ones along the sides of the saddle tank, just working out how I do the ones under the tank now! One thing I did do for marking up the sides was, as the clear 3d print material doesn't show scribing or take pencil marks well, was to blacken in the area to be marked with a felt tip/sharpie pen and then use a pin to mark out where the handrails were going to do, a technique similar to that used by some to mark out metal for cutting and drilling.

Cheers,

John

Edited by yaxxbarl

• RMweb Gold

Hi Yaxxbarl,

Have you tried submersing the print in white spirit? 

It hardens up the print making it easier to sand and smooth whilst also turning it opaque white. 

19 hours ago, Argos said:

Hi Yaxxbarl,

Have you tried submersing the print in white spirit? 

It hardens up the print making it easier to sand and smooth whilst also turning it opaque white. 

Angus,

Not as yet on this one, I will give that a go on the next one I do as I ordered two bodies - the first is probably too far advanced in detailing for soaking in white spirit now, the next though (which will become BR 68006) will likely get that treatment. I've got one of the offcuts of the first one that I'll try first. I'll probably still mark this one in a similar manner, though, as I find that scribing it with a pin or with the calipers of a vernier caliper gives much more accurate marking than a pen or pencil would and would still be more easily visible even with a white background.

Cheers,

John 

Typically... EFE Rail are releasing a retooled N Gauge J94/Hunslet Austerity just as mine is well on the road.... but I shall continue.

To be fair I was almost expecting this as EFE took on a lot of DJ Models' tooling and projects of which the J94 was one of them.

Having had a closer look at the examples on the video it looks like combining the new body with an association chassis may be a good bet.

Yours, in awareness of the inevitable comedy of the situation,

John

Edited by yaxxbarl
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, yaxxbarl said:

Typically... EFE Rail are releasing a retooled N Gauge J94/Hunslet Austerity just as mine is well on the road.... but I shall continue.

To be fair I was almost expecting this as EFE took on a lot of DJ Models' tooling and projects of which the J94 was one of them.

Having had a closer look at the examples on the video it looks like combining the new body with an association chassis may be a good bet.

John

I await them with excitement. I do hope pictures means they are absolutely coming. We are still waiting for the Dapol WCs (11 years and counting - almost as long as the real things lasted in service).

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

John

Thank you John for all your hard work and making EFE's announcement inevitable!

Simon 

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

John

I too will continue!  I’ ve gone too far in trying to turn the sow’s ear of the Farish casting into a silk (well, sow’s) purse to stop now.  And anyway, it still looks as if a fair bit of butchery will still be needed to turn it into the last pair on the Cromford & High Peak!

John

Edited by Doncaster Green

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, yaxxbarl said:

...and on the very subject here's where my Hunslet is...

20230802_121823.jpg.2f1a3b12459f5e4344661342a9650f8a.jpg

20230802_121805.jpg.b111dbced4cd591fae3fa52cc2077d48.jpg

Next jobs are rear lamp irons, injectors below the cab, saddle tank steps and holes for buffers.

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

If you could just alter yours to look like this one:

Colliery twilight

(Steve Banks Flickr image of no.7 at Wheldale colliery ca.1982) before the second batch of EFE releases I'd be much obliged.

Simon

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

On 02/08/2023 at 11:13, 65179 said:

Thank you John for all your hard work and making EFE's announcement inevitable!

Simon 

Simon,

Yes, with that in mind my I'll now move my Farish (with bits of Dapol) 6400 to Hawksworth 1600 conversion/kitbash up in the build schedule!

Last time I saw Rapido I was dropping hints to them like 'Well.... you've got all the drawings already from your 4mm version...'

Cheers,

John

• Like 2

Afternoon everyone. 

I've been working away at my actual workbench and my virtual workbench over the last few months and figured that I should share my progress, while I wait for a delivery of bits to finish other projects off. 

So I've been working on one of Nigel Hunt's Radial Tank etches. This was my first "proper" full etched kit. It was an enjoyable challenge and I'm looking forward to building the other kits that I've bought from Nigel. Two more radial tanks to follow as well as one of the L&Y 0-8-0s. The photo is from the start of July. I did manage to get the roof on as well and spend some time drawing up the dome for 3d printing. As Dr Nick has pointed out in his video on the 2mmSA channel, the dome supplied by N Brass isn't quite right - Nigel kindly shared the drawings with me. I'll have to do a follow-up post when I get it printed. 

DF87B9CC-9B25-4CEA-B072-C160269BB207.JPG.f0e0dc05040532c9f2e3393f06fce161.JPG

I've also been working on some more L&Y wagon designs (intended for the chassis kits provided by the association) as well as an L&Y CCT, for which I'll probably draw up an etch for the chassis. 

Dia_15.jpg.63bacac8c3d65d2a3f0e7f1596e924cb.jpg

7376.jpg.4012131194982ff826aaedd658c2745c.jpg

8183.jpg.2fa5b561a0de27817823d88f3f311682.jpg

CCT.jpg.75effe0aee99bfd38f633d8f018b98b8.jpg

I have a mind to have a go at drawing up an etch for the 6 wheeler milk trucks that the L&Y had, as well as the horseboxes (both from Tatlow's book) and the 6 wheeler well/implement wagon. I also want to have a go at doing some carriage sides, ends and roof for non-corridor LMS period 1 stock - there's some outline drawings in the Jenkinson carriage book that I have. 

I find that the problem with doing the model railway stuff, especially designing things, that sometimes it's a bit of a black hole that you can just easily disappear into.  

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, A. Bastow said:

Afternoon everyone. 

I've been working away at my actual workbench and my virtual workbench over the last few months and figured that I should share my progress, while I wait for a delivery of bits to finish other projects off. 

So I've been working on one of Nigel Hunt's Radial Tank etches. This was my first "proper" full etched kit. It was an enjoyable challenge and I'm looking forward to building the other kits that I've bought from Nigel. Two more radial tanks to follow as well as one of the L&Y 0-8-0s. The photo is from the start of July. I did manage to get the roof on as well and spend some time drawing up the dome for 3d printing. As Dr Nick has pointed out in his video on the 2mmSA channel, the dome supplied by N Brass isn't quite right - Nigel kindly shared the drawings with me. I'll have to do a follow-up post when I get it printed. 

DF87B9CC-9B25-4CEA-B072-C160269BB207.JPG.f0e0dc05040532c9f2e3393f06fce161.JPG

Very nice Adam,

Looking good. I am about to start drawing up some CAD stuff for a 2FS tram chassis.  Which could be fun, or a total unmitigated disaster!  Looking forward to your 3D printed chat next month.

Rich

• Like 1