Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

Made a start on some coaching stock to go with my saddle tank.  these are being constructed from the Worsley Works GWR 4 wheel coaches.  The first is a 1st / 2nd Composite to diagram U4.  I am using the David Eveleigh chassis for this, which is unfortunate because Richard Brummitt has pointed out offline that these carriages had a 17'0" wheelbase rather than the 18'0" of David's etch.  Cest la Vie!!

On the chassis I have thinned the lower footboard supports, and rounded off the tops of the outer two layers of the axle box to hopefully provide a more oil box than grease box shape.  I've also removed the bottom of the brake hangers as they weren't appropriate for a GWR coach alt all.  There's still lots to do, but a couple of photos to show progress to date.

post-12089-0-66133800-1391948685_thumb.jpg

post-12089-0-01080000-1391948590_thumb.jpg

Ian

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Intriguing.  I'm curious, what's your thinking for using two motors?  Are they well harmonised/synchronised? Just wondering if they had slightly different starting voltages, if they might fight each other.

Unless you've achieved perpetual motion with one driving while the other generates...

Made a start on some coaching stock to go with my saddle tank.  these are being constructed from the Worsley Works GWR 4 wheel coaches.  The first is a 1st / 2nd Composite to diagram U4.  I am using the David Eveleigh chassis for this, which is unfortunate because Richard Brummitt has pointed out offline that these carriages had a 17'0" wheelbase rather than the 18'0" of David's etch.  Cest la Vie!!

On the chassis I have thinned the lower footboard supports, and rounded off the tops of the outer two layers of the axle box to hopefully provide a more oil box than grease box shape.  I've also removed the bottom of the brake hangers as they weren't appropriate for a GWR coach alt all.  There's still lots to do, but a couple of photos to show progress to date.

attachicon.gifU4 c.JPG

attachicon.gifU4 d.JPG

Ian

I bought these when David first offered them and they were all 18'. Two should be 19' (the brake thirds) the all third should be 18' and the composite 17'. One of the brake thirds would have been built with 6 wheels. I think he corrected them a bit to create the later versions you have. I'm not sure anyone ever told him how long the chassis needed to be so the design of the etch was very poorly specified.

If anyone has a use for 4 18' chassis please say before mine leave the workbench for the bin.

• RMweb Premium

Intriguing.  I'm curious, what's your thinking for using two motors?  Are they well harmonised/synchronised? Just wondering if they had slightly different starting voltages, if they might fight each other.

Unless you've achieved perpetual motion with one driving while the other generates...

Just an experiment, really. These motors don't have an enormous amount of torque, so I thought that two motors might give better starting, also if one stalled the other might take up the slack, as they share a layshaft. It seems to run OK, but it also goes well enough on one motor. I don't think that they have enough power to fight, probably just a bit of shoving and the odd insult.

Alex.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid David does not believe in correcting errors in his etches as a recent exchange he and I had on the VAG demonstrates!

Jerry

I think you will find similar things in commercial products. A Dereck Monday Horsebox has the instructions to cut of the buffer beam from one part and attach it to another. Some of the worse example are kits where the holes in the chassis do not align correctly. I think in Davids's case the errors have simple work rounds.Just a bit of extra fettling.

Don

I'm afraid David does not believe in correcting errors in his etches as a recent exchange he and I had on the VAG demonstrates!

Jerry

My tongue is close to spilling blood reading your exchanges: I made the missing strapping and hinges up for his horseboxes myself. I believe he did make allowances for the flanges on 7mm wheels on his midland OCT following my feedback. I have built other kits from him that went together quite satisfactorily.

Hehe, you could make a game out of this!

There are 12ft and 10ft anchor mount tank bits, CoT Mk...(ahem), cordon bits, some bits for a southern engine, some bits for Jerry, and some bits for Andy. Im just filling in the gaps with little bits now.

Lots and lots of bits...

M :)

• RMweb Gold

There are 12ft and 10ft anchor mount tank bits, CoT Mk...(ahem), cordon bits, some bits for a southern engine, some bits for Jerry, and some bits for Andy. Im just filling in the gaps with little bits now.

Lots and lots of bits...

You've just reminded me, I have a wagon to make..!

Tom ;)

Lots and lots of bits...

If you run out of bits before you run out of space would you let me know. My O13 van still needs some window bars...

You've just reminded me, I have a wagon to make..!

Tom ;)

Just one! I admire your restraint.

If you run out of bits before you run out of space would you let me know. My O13 van still needs some window bars...

Sorry Rich, it went to the etchers last night. I am working on bits for the next one already though...

Sorry Rich, it went to the etchers last night. I am working on bits for the next one already though...

Not to worry - it was terribly cheeky of me. I will get around to doing some more on the etches I have in progress but am doing some real modelling at the moment ;) I'm using some of your buffers in fact!

Almost finished, ...

Great.

...still some minor adjustments to be made though.

More dirt? My car's approximately that colour after only four weeks of not having been washed. Coal fields were horribly dusty; my Dad used to rotate/replace the air filter in the car every few weeks in the 80s.

• RMweb Premium

Great.

More dirt? My car's approximately that colour after only four weeks of not having been washed. Coal fields were horribly dusty; my Dad used to rotate/replace the air filter in the car every few weeks in the 80s.

Thank you all. More dirt is a distinct possibility, but I'll leave the final coat until handling will be at a minimum - there are still a lot of adjustments to be made (particularly to that buckled window frame that I've just spotted) and I found the air tanks last night in my spray booth that I had forgotten completely!

Alex.

Edited by Alex Duckworth
  • Like 1

Alex that is superb! 

I have a 4mm (and 2mm one, which I grabbed while JE still do them) Janus waiting in a box after I complete my current loco build - it doesn't look like you've omitted anything from the 2mm etches in your build - and if you have it's not noticeable...

Paul A. 

• RMweb Premium

Alex that is superb! 

I have a 4mm (and 2mm one, which I grabbed while JE still do them) Janus waiting in a box after I complete my current loco build - it doesn't look like you've omitted anything from the 2mm etches in your build - and if you have it's not noticeable...

Paul A. 

Thanks Paul, I did make an effort to use as much as possible. It's a lovely kit though, even shot down to 2mm, everything fits.

Alex.