Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

Here's something that Andy let me try from a test etch. See the attachments below (for some reason the 'Add to Post' isn't working for me).

I haven't built it quite how Andy intended but it will match reasonably well with a photograph in the appropriate LNER wagons volume once the parts that aren't on the etch (bolster) are sorted.

post-8031-0-83520900-1401820232_thumb.jpg

post-8031-0-57287600-1401820234_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Hi.

That is a great little wagon. What makes it even more impressive is its Andys first attempt at designing his own etch artwork. I am looking forward to seeing even more stuff from him i the future. Its very well built too :)

Julia.

Hi.

That is a great little wagon. What makes it even more impressive is its Andys first attempt at designing his own etch artwork. I am looking forward to seeing even more stuff from him i the future. Its very well built too :)

Julia.

Thanks Julia,

Flattery will get you everywhere.. ;)

It's always a good test to see what someone else makes of your artwork, and it looks like Richard has navigated his way round the known errors/issues with the artwork and produced a cracking model. I've got a few tweaks to make to what will be version 3 of the artwork then it might well be made available to others. The next sheet of artwork is filling up with ideas already - just got to turn them into drawings now!

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

what are you using as your drawing tool?  I've got plans to do some etch design (one of which is a Rock Island outside braced baggage caboose, amongst other oddities). I have a copy of TurboCAD to use but I know people have had success with simple vector graphics packages.

I'm also curious about the brake gear on the bolster.  Why is it reversed from the usual orientation?  Must have made it a bit awkward for the shunters.

Mark

Andy,

what are you using as your drawing tool?  I've got plans to do some etch design (one of which is a Rock Island outside braced baggage caboose, amongst other oddities). I have a copy of TurboCAD to use but I know people have had success with simple vector graphics packages.

I'm also curious about the brake gear on the bolster.  Why is it reversed from the usual orientation?  Must have made it a bit awkward for the shunters.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I use AutoCAD (I was trained how to use an early version at college and also use it occasionally as part of my day job).

I'm not sure why the brake gear is reversed - the photographs in Peter Tatlow's book (part two of the multi-volume LNER wagons series published by Wild Swan) show quite a variety of brake gear on these wagons, one of which shows the reversed lever (both levers are at the same end of the wagon and act on the same pair of wheels). I did a fairly simple version of the brakes on the etch, but in hindsight I got a few bits wrong. Richard has built a different version of the wagon based on one of the photos in the book.

Andy

...I'm not sure why the brake gear is reversed - the photographs in Peter Tatlow's book (part two of the multi-volume LNER wagons series published by Wild Swan) show quite a variety of brake gear on these wagons, one of which shows the reversed lever (both levers are at the same end of the wagon and act on the same pair of wheels). I did a fairly simple version of the brakes on the etch, but in hindsight I got a few bits wrong. Richard has built a different version of the wagon based on one of the photos in the book.

I know next to nothing about LNER wagons, but I'm struggling to imagine how that brake works. It would be fine without a cross shaft as that would give independent brakes on each side but, with the cross shaft surely some form of clutch mechanism is needed. If they were rigidly connected it would be impossible to move one lever if the other were in its off position.

Nick

Hi Mark,

I use AutoCAD (I was trained how to use an early version at college and also use it occasionally as part of my day job).

I'm not sure why the brake gear is reversed - the photographs in Peter Tatlow's book (part two of the multi-volume LNER wagons series published by Wild Swan) show quite a variety of brake gear on these wagons, one of which shows the reversed lever (both levers are at the same end of the wagon and act on the same pair of wheels). I did a fairly simple version of the brakes on the etch, but in hindsight I got a few bits wrong. Richard has built a different version of the wagon based on one of the photos in the book.

Andy

The brake gear was split and bodged. The only thing I thought was 'wrong' with the brakes was the position of the etched fold line for the part that fits under the floor. I cut this fold line, cleaned it up, and then shortened the tabs so they didn't protrude. I had considered a preference for the brake levers to be combined in a single part with the rack/pin as Chris does them but I built the spares you gave me (the first ones partially vapourised under the RSU and I lost some of the remaining pieces in the carpet) in a different way that I thought worked well. I must email you some other comments as agreed the other Sunday.

I know next to nothing about LNER wagons, but I'm struggling to imagine how that brake works. It would be fine without a cross shaft as that would give independent brakes on each side but, with the cross shaft surely some form of clutch mechanism is needed. If they were rigidly connected it would be impossible to move one lever if the other were in its off position.

Nick

I agree. It is a representation of a vehicle in a photograph and that is how it looks. As best as I can tell the brake levers both point towards one end of the wagon with one push rod and brake block each side. As I have photographed it he near side is 'backwards' and the far side block acts on the far right hand wheel. (I'll add the reference to the plate in LNER wagons vol.2 if anyone wants to peruse their copy?)

Andy's intention is for the wagon to have the more usual brake blocks with the familiar cam clutch arrangement on one side and I have modified the parts a little to do what I fancied after considering the options in photographs. 

I know zilch about LNER wagons, but that looks like a timber wagon to me (mention of a bolster tends to support the idea) and timber wagons on other railways often ran in pairs with brake levers at the outer ends.  That would explain the reversed lever.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark,

I use Corel Draw - a vector based graphic design programme - for etches for the NGS. We send our etches to either PPD or Chempix/Micro Metallic and they are happy with artwork in this format.

Cheers

Ben A.

Nick

The wagon as modeled looks to me to have a single v hanger on each side, so must have had a cross shaft - independent brakes would have had two v hangers on each side. Actually with independent brakes on each side there would be no need to reverse the lever. I am pretty sure that both the Midland and Great Northern (presumably others too) used brakes like this on some wagons. I believe that it was an early attempt to have brakes that could be worked from either side. The levers were fixed to the cross shaft and would simply move together. So pushing one down on one side would move the one on the other side down too.

The Morton arrangement with a cam-clutch was (I think) a later improved development to allow the levers to both point to the right as you looked at the wagon. Possibly significant when shunting a train in a dimly lit yard at night.

Bill

...So pushing one down on one side would move the one on the other side down too...

Bill, I agree with most of what you say, but this is surely the problem. How are the levers retained in the off position? If the levers are retained in any way (as most are) the shunter will need to release both sides before the brake can be applied. If not, there will be nothing to prevent the brakes rubbing at all times.

Nick

Bill, I agree with most of what you say, but this is surely the problem. How are the levers retained in the off position? If the levers are retained in any way (as most are) the shunter will need to release both sides before the brake can be applied. If not, there will be nothing to prevent the brakes rubbing at all times.

Nick

Yes, agreed. The shunter would have to ensure the levers are released on both sides, although it would be sufficient to only fasten one side.. That is possibly another reason that this design did not last very long.

Bill

Bill

Further progress on the main station building for the Pennine Area Group's model of Lightcliffe together with a couple of photos of the real thing for comparison.

IMG_0486_zpsd3bc33d7.jpg

IMG_0487_zps4b1e9eb2.jpg

TMP0530-LightcliffeStation-generalviewof

IMG_0488_zps7fd4b40b.jpg

IMG_0489_zpsd0847a8d.jpg

IMG_0490_zpsa1ea3b29.jpg

LYRS8500-LightcliffeStation-generalviewo

Signs aren't quite going according to plan and I've had to abandon my attempts at using 1mm brass lettering for the moment and have resorted to produing signs on my computer and gluing them to plasticard backing. Not totally happy with the early efforts on the left but getting there with the ones on the right.

IMG_0493_zps15a7e5fd.jpg

• Like 12

Thanks guys :)

I havent touched the body yet but I have plans for it sometime in the future. Its well worth the effort adding the extra bits to the chassis though.

post-2065-0-04586300-1402262647.jpg

FYI the buffers are 3D printed.

Julia :)

• Like 6

Thanks guys :)

I havent touched the body yet but I have plans for it sometime in the future. Its well worth the effort adding the extra bits to the chassis though.

attachicon.gif8-6-14-01.jpg

FYI the buffers are 3D printed.

Julia :)

Looks really good Julia.

Sadly though, it only confirms what I feared when I did the etched underframe - that it was going to make the body look really awful.

Chris