Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

Looks like your engines like peaty water Jim!

Tim

'Peaty' would be much browner than that!  It was an attempt to simulate the sludgy appearance of water that has come off a burn up the hill somewhere and develops a light brown growth of algae along the sides of the tank.  Not wholly successful!   :no2:

I recall being on holiday with my parents in North Erridale, Wester Ross, in the late '60's, where the water out the tap, which came from a spring up the hill behind the B&B, looked like it had come out of a bottle of uisce beatha (water of life)!

Jim

• RMweb Premium

I packed out the cylinders with an L shaped shim. The cylinders are now a bit taller and have the characteristic and conspicuous brake lever arm supporting bracket underneath. There is now just clearance, even with the overlong front coupling rod pins. One thing I have only noticed today is that there should be a very slight downward - backward slope on the cylinders: fortunately, this was easily accommodated by the slack on the fixing screws.

The motion support bracket will be next. It hangs over the front drivers and will be quite a large chunk of metal. I will soon need to bend out the front guard irons, otherwise Lord Prasident will plough up Jerry's track on Saturday!

Tim

post-13388-0-45630000-1452561769_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

That's fascinating Jerry - I guess this is the picnic saloon now at the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley, Derbyshire?

If I recall correctly there was a set of Bill Bedford etches for a MR D365 saloon in amongst those Midland kits that found their way to you via me a couple of years ago. Might we see a 2mm version of this saloon sometime? ;)

Andy

Apologies for being so slow getting back on this one. It is indeed the one at Butterly. I've attached a picture of progress on my one below- I'm developing a backstory for it, an OCT and a rather smart automobile to appear on TM. I'll post on the TM thread when it reaches a suitable level of plausibility!

Amazing work! Where does one find a spare underframe for something like that? Is it a 2mm one etched upwards?

Mark

It comes from an ex LMS CCT, many of which were evidently built on second hand underframes - the bodies being sold as cricket pavilions etc.

I could have offered him one of my 2mm 6 wheel coach underframes shot up but even if I could get them etched full size can you imagine the size of the bending bars ........

post-1074-0-48232000-1452607400_thumb.jpg

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I will soon need to bend out the front guard irons, otherwise Lord Prasident will plough up Jerry's track on Saturday!

Tim

There was much talk in the Miners Arms last night over cider and Somerset wall fish about some hulking great loco from out east that is due to be towed down the line at the weekend. The blacksmith at Highbury, who has been known to double up as the NSLR chief engineer is particularly intrigued - he has a collection of lump hammers if there are any 'out of gauge' issues!

I'm sure somebody from Bath will be dispatched to Horsecombe Vale to capture the event on camera.

Jerry

Edited by queensquare

Evening Gents - can I interrupt briefly to say how inspirational your work is? Even though my chosen scale is a tad larger (16mm scale Welsh narrow gauge), I am absolutely loving the way that you go about solving problems, aiming for ever-higher levels of realism and using raw materials and skill, rather than purchasing power. My own scratchbuilt NGG16 Garratt and WHR stock may be many times bigger, but they fall a long way short of your standards. Thank you for sharing your ideas and creativity so freely - it's inspiring me to raise my game, and it's very much appreciated.

David

• RMweb Premium

Spent the day going through the pile of unfinished semi started stuff after some success changing two old farish DMU motor bogies to 5 pole   for use in the long drawn out 201 Hastings unit  must finish the 207 sometime as well  :nono:  

This lead in  a rash moment to revisit the ford rail car which pictured in the start of this thread

and this is what I managed today

edit for spelling

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 2

Spent the day going through the pile of unfinished semi started stuff after some success changing two old farish DMU motor bogies to 5 pole   for use in the long drawn out 201 Hastings unit  must finish the 207 sometime as well  :nono:  

This lead in  a rash moment to revisit the ford rail car which pictured in the start of this thread

and this is what I managed today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFwPnV1k_Io&feature=youtu.be

edit for spelling

Ahh, the unfinished project,

We all have them

Edited by StuartM

• RMweb Gold

Every Christmas/new year I promise myself I will finish off some of the projects I have on the go and this year I did a batch of wagons. To be honest, some were started fresh, but a number had been started over the last year or so. Anyway, I have attempted to impose some self discipline and get them done, and here they are - the majority still need weathering and couplings. The former will take an hour or so for the lot, the latter a bit longer!

post-1074-0-12963200-1453394032_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-07260600-1453394059_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Nice, Jerry.  Is that NB van scratchbuilt, or one of the old Graham Hughes whitemetal kits?

Jim

Thanks Jim, yes it's the old Graham Hughes casting. I was a big fan of them although this one wasn't the best. That said, it still makes up into an attractive wagon.

They would make a nice train on CF!

Tim

I will bring a complete train up to the relocated StAlbans show next year. I'll make an appropriate brake van if a suitable loco can be found - unless we put an SDJR 7F on the front to really upset the purists!

Jerry

• RMweb Premium
queensquare, on 21 Jan 2016 - 16:35, said:

Every Christmas/new year I promise myself I will finish off some of the projects I have on the go and this year I did a batch of wagons. To be honest, some were started fresh, but a number had been started over the last year or so. Anyway, I have attempted to impose some self discipline and get them done, and here they are - the majority still need weathering and couplings. The former will take an hour or so for the lot, the latter a bit longer!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Jerry

Wagons! Lots of them! Excellent!

Nothing more to say really except first-class work.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Jerry

You'd better make some progress on BQS otherwise you'll end up (like a lot of us, I suspect!) with more wagons that your layouts can accomodate.  A while back I averaged 1 wagon per week for about a year, which seriously chokes up Burwell Fen, which really only needs no more than a dozen.

Wagons are definitely an obsessive thing.  I've got about 10-15 vans to finish off.  Much nicer than making passenger stock.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

You'd better make some progress on BQS otherwise you'll end up (like a lot of us, I suspect!) with more wagons that your layouts can accomodate.  A while back I averaged 1 wagon per week for about a year, which seriously chokes up Burwell Fen, which really only needs no more than a dozen.

Wagons are definitely an obsessive thing.  I've got about 10-15 vans to finish off.  Much nicer than making passenger stock.

Mark

You are of course absolutely right Mark. The frightening thing is I have a similar number of coaches and NPCS built and awaiting painting, many more started and probably most worrying of all, a similar number of locos part built - most are runners but awaiting that oh so time consuming detailing and finishing.

Then there are layouts........ as well as BQS there are schemes for more bits of the NSLR and others. They won't all get built but oh well!

Jerry

Thanks Jim, yes it's the old Graham Hughes casting. I was a big fan of them although this one wasn't the best. That said, it still makes up into an attractive wagon.

I have one too, as well as a GNSR open and a GCR cattle truck.  My 498 class 0-6-0T is also a GH body.

Jim