Sundeala boards

I originally had chipboard baseboards but replaced some with Sundeala because it was recommended by Peco as being light and would easily accept Peco trackpins. The Sundeala warped badly in my loft even with a professionally made baseboard with numerous supports. It also warped after painting it. Another problem with Sundeala is that it is sold in metric measurements so a 4' x 2' board is about 3' 11" x 1' 11". I have still got one 4' x 1' section of my N gauge layout made from chipboard. It is about 40 years old and has given no problems for 40 years despite rough handling taking it to exhibitions.

I took the Sundeala boards to the recycling centre and replaced them with 6" MDF. Although the dimensions are given in metric measurements at B & Q the boards are 4' x 2' so I either had to trim them when replacing the Sundeala or build new frames. I have not had any problems with MDF but other people have said that it is prone to warping, does not accept track pins easily, the sawdust is a health hazard and the board is too heavy.

My local model railway group has stopped using MDF and is now using plywood and one member buys high quality plywood imported from Russia.

The Bigtree Line wrote his post while I was writing mine but I agree with what he has said.

Hi, Best thing you did was to dump the sundeala board.

MDF is too hard and any dust can be very dangerous.

The Russian plywood if you can find a source for it is your best bet.

I used 3/8 thick ply on my layouts with the same ply to make 3 inch deep sides and cross bearers and have not had any issues.

As a matter of Interest you can make 3 boards 48 x 20 inches and the rails from one sheet of ply.

Cheers John.

Sundeala is the worst baseboards imaginable for all the reasons given above.  My vote is MDF with a cork underlay.

Personally I lay my track directly on the MDF. I love hearing the clackety clack of wheels on the track and the rumble of passing trains.

My home city of Hull has had a repartition over the years for timber importing. Certain firms have existed for many years in this business. When I was a magistrate a few years ago, I sat on the bench with one of these timber barons and the conversation in the retiring room got around to timber and Sundeala in particular. My colleague's answer was, "No we don't stock that anymore but if you really wanted some, I could get it", was his reply.  Always a business man! I asked him why and was told "it soaks the damp up too fast". When I told him why I should be so interested, he replied, "use a good quality Marine plywood", which in truth I always have.

I would say that because the likes of Peco recommended the use of Sundeala way back when, it continues to be thought the ideal material, but shouldn't be. Just as PVA white glue superseded the brown horse glue that had to be heated up to make it usable, times have moved on, move with them!  

WASN'T THERE A TOPIC ABOUT THIS A WHILE BACK AND THE CONCLUSION WAS THAT THE CONSISTENCY/MATERIAL OF SUNDEALA WAS CHANGED AT SOME POINT AND THAT NOWADAYS IT WARPS,ABSORBS DAMP ETC. BUT THAT THE STUFF FROM ABOUT 20 ODD YEARS AGO OR SO WAS BETTER QUALITY AND CAUSED NO PROBLEMS WHICH IS WHY IT WAS RECOMMENDED YEARS AGO. THE SUNDEALA I HAVE IS FROM THAT TIME AND I'VE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH IT, RE-USED IT A GOOD FEW TIMES FOR DIFFERENT LAYOUTS,DID N'T SEAL IT AND ALSO STORED IT FOR LONG PERIODS IN A SHED. AH WELL, I SUPPOSE NOTHING'S AS GOOD AS IT USED TO BE IN THE GOOD OLD DAYS, EVEN SUNDEALA HOBBYBOARD!

Archived