Wrenn Princess coronation class & DCC

Phil-Essex

• RMweb Gold

I have a Wrenn princess coronation class loco (Duchess of Hamilton) that has a Hornby Zero 1 decoder installed and I would like to convert this loco to DCC. Can I just swap the Zero 1 chip for a DCC decoder or would the wiring be different?

I haven't run the loco using Zero 1 for over 15 years but it runs superbly on DC.

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

I have a Wrenn princess coronation class loco (Duchess of Hamilton) that has a Hornby Zero 1 decoder installed and I would like to convert this loco to DCC. Can I just swap the Zero 1 chip for a DCC decoder or would the wiring be different?

I haven't run the loco using Zero 1 for over 15 years but it runs superbly on DC.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I have removed a few Zero1 chips but never really paid attention to the wiring colours.

A dcc chip needs the following wires to be connected to work properly and not expire in a cloud of smoke.

Orange and Grey wire to the motor

Red and black to the Pick ups from the track (this may be a screw on the chassis or a brass strip, depends on the loco)

hopt this helps

Cheers

simon

• RMweb Premium

Does the Zero1 chip have 3 or 4 wires? 4 wires should enable a direct replacement. What will be critical is if the second motor brush has been insulated from the frame. If that has not been done the chip will cook itself promptly. (Direct connection between track input and motor output).

Archived