Model Railway Loft

dandg

A few days ago I was searching the web trying to locate somebody who had stocks of a very recent Hornby release which had sold out extremely quickly from the usual online traders and stumbled across Model Railway Loft.

They only stock Hornby stuff but some of their prices are on par with the well known Merseyside retailer and they offer free p&p. The web site also indicates whether the item is in stock. There seems to be no facility to pre-order products.

Having searched on here for people's experiences and drawn a blank, I decided to place the order.

I wasn't disappointed. Emails on the order's progress were received and the model arrived very well packed and much sooner than I was expecting.

I hasten to add that I write this purely as a very satisfied customer.

Gerard

• 6 months later...

Also a very good experience. In the fallout from the Modelzone/Signalbox administration situation, I ordered a new Hornby Item from them, very very competative pricing, free postage (making them effectively even cheaper), two day delivery second class. My guess is that since they don't have a retail shop (and therefore can't stock Bachmann), nor are listed as a supplier on the Hornby website, they are supplied by a wholesaler. But the customer service is top notch.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to report that Model Railway Loft has ceased trading. They emailed me regarding payment for a pre-order, and by the time I was able to phone them, they had disappeared. A phonecall to the owner (via one of their neighbouring businesses) revealed they had suddenly stopped. Another casualty of Hornby increasing trade prices and reducing retailer margins. Shame as they were a pleasure to do business with. Enthusiastic, young and always willing to help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have done a check and although the websites still works, its not allowing order placement (thanks goodness reading their sad position).

The site should be taken down really, for weeks I thought they were still going!!!

Archived