RMweb

Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

The main cause of those failings? Bachmann's refusal on grounds of "cost and complexity" to retool the Hall chassis block.

I don't think we can say that definitively. It might have been a screw-up that got missed. To the best of my knowledge, Bachmann have been quite silent on the topic.

There was a long sequence of details being mixed up between modified and unmodified Halls.

• RMweb Gold

4/8/56  4056 worked the 07:30 Penzance - Liverpool from Plymouth to Bristol. Assisted Plymouth to Newton Abbot by 4950 Patshull Hall. 14 coach train with a mix of GW, LMS and Mk 1 stock. It must also have worked down to Plymouth, I assume, the previous day.

Mike Wiltshire

Princess Margaret was by then somewhat of a celebrity and her appearances nearly always turned heads. She was,I believe a Bath Road ( 82A ) loco and they went to most points of the WR compass.I saw her several times during the early to mid 50's on various spotting trips.According to O.S.Nock,she was a great favourite with crews at the depot.

Guest 7007GreatWestern

I don't think we can say that definitively. It might have been a screw-up that got missed. To the best of my knowledge, Bachmann have been quite silent on the topic.

There was a long sequence of details being mixed up between modified and unmodified Halls.

Hi Ozexpatriate,

I base my comments on posts #196 (from where I sourced the phrase 'cost and complexity') and #203. I'll leave you to form your own opinion.  ;-)

You are quite right however, Bachmann have been quite silent on the topic.

Best Regards,

Andy.

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Hi again Ozexpatriate,

....that is posts #196 & #203 on the "Bachmann retooled Modified Hall 2012 - What can we expect?" thread, not this one.

Sorry, I should have said that explicitly.

Cheers.

• RMweb Gold

Hi 'toboldlygo',

Thanks for your reply.

Don't you find this all a bit strange?

Over on the "Bachmann Modified Hall" thread several people (myself included) are 'doing their nut' because of the various failings of Bachmann's new model.

The main cause of those failings? Bachmann's refusal on grounds of "cost and complexity" to retool the Hall chassis block.

Meanwhile Hornby have evidently retooled their 42xx chassis block and have done so without telling anyone and in response to no particular clamour from their customers!!! The complaints I have read about the eight coupled tanks have usually been about cosmetic issues rather than the chassis.....

Getting back 'on topic', I would be grateful if anyone has any experience either positive or negative of 'British Monarch'. 

Andy.

Hornby do frequent this forum, so I suspect they read all the froth about the heavy tanks faults and quietly got on with fixing most of them.

I'll let you know what British Monarch is like in the flesh compared to the first releases of the Star. One will be arriving this week ;)

• RMweb Gold

It'll be interesting to hear what you make of it .I'm considering a purchase to convert "British Monarch" into 4056 "Princess Margaret".Why on earth didn't Hornby Choose THAT ? My 4061 runs but fairly indifferently with a pronounced chafing/rubbing noise which doesn't seem to affect its performance,however.

• RMweb Gold

It'll be interesting to hear what you make of it .I'm considering a purchase to convert "British Monarch" into 4056 "Princess Margaret".Why on earth didn't Hornby Choose THAT ? My 4061 runs but fairly indifferently with a pronounced chafing/rubbing noise which doesn't seem to affect its performance,however.

Judging by the amount of reassembly work I had to do on my 4061, anything will be an improvement! Aside from the assembly issues, it runs sweetly enough.

Princess Margaret - that's the Star I intend to turn British Monarch into.. (found some pictures of her in a really dirty state too ;) )

British Monarch was an odd choice, considering how early it was withdrawn.

• RMweb Gold

Judging by the amount of reassembly work I had to do on my 4061, anything will be an improvement! Aside from the assembly issues, it runs sweetly enough.

Princess Margaret - that's the Star I intend to turn British Monarch into.. (found some pictures of her in a really dirty state too ;) )

British Monarch was an odd choice, considering how early it was withdrawn.

Ozzie Nock reputedly tried to persuade Bath Road management to roster 4056 for "The Bristolian" in her final months in service .No joy there ...a real "celeb."

Have Hornby ever done one of their stars in the style of the first batch as originally built? From pictures, seem to have narrower, taller safety bonnet and similar chimneys

An original North Star would be good

Have Hornby ever done one of their stars in the style of the first batch as originally built? From pictures, seem to have narrower, taller safety bonnet and similar chimneys

An original North Star would be good

North Star would need a total new body as the running plate was higher than on other stars with smaller splashers. It was a unique engine, even as a Castle.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone tell me if the Stars still worked in Devon in the 1950s?. I suspect secondary traffic and relief trains would be the sort of traffic they would be working by then, but so far l have found no photographic evidence as yet?

There is a photograph in the "Past and Present" book on the Kingswear branch showing 4007 "Swallowfield Park" on the "Torbay Express," September 1951. Locomotive is lined green/early crest and very clean. Stock is mostly Hawksworths.

Also "More Great Western Steam in Devon" 4053 "Princess Alexandra" at Hackney in 1952- this was paired with the Collett 8 wheeled tender - a very mixed bag of coaches, but an express head code.

Additionally, Rail Trails South West by Peter Gray - 4034 Queen Adelaide at Paignton, 6th September 1952

Edited by MPR

• RMweb Gold

A few other observations with British Monarch compared to the earlier releases.

• Correct 10 spoke wheels on front bogie
  • Vac pipes come already fitted
  • Running plate appears to have been reworked, it's not as flimsy.
  • Tender connection is now better (they've used a longer screw)

• RMweb Gold

I note you say it runs beautifully. Could I ask if starts off slowly and runs slowly on DC? Also does it have a flywheel?

Yes it does run slowly on DC (on my controller that is).

No flywheel, I had to look under the bonnet to double check that.

post-7000-0-66610400-1432974732_thumb.jpg

One thing I did notice however, is that it is lubricated correctly, with no excess to be seen, unlike a lot of earlier releases!!

• RMweb Gold

Yes it does run slowly on DC (on my controller that is).

No flywheel, I had to look under the bonnet to double check that.

attachicon.gif4021_underbonnet.jpg

One thing I did notice however, is that it is lubricated correctly, with no excess to be seen, unlike a lot of earlier releases!!

Is the body still attached by only a single screw.....which,on my Lode Star at least was seated in an alarmingly insecure manner and caused a parting of the ways in an unintended way. Edited by Ian Hargrave