1/24 with a 00 gauge layout combi

emperor3005

Today i advance towards my new masterpiece that should take a proud spot at big venues EG:WARLEY .Recently since that show it has been an ambition to stand proud in the hall and be the exhibitor not the viewer ,if i can achieve this by creating an underdog that sound like it is from a fariytale i would be amazed .

I hope to prove those wrong,The project should show a hotel complex with a small garden railway it will also feature a garage for my small collection of 1/24 cars This project hopes to show off my scenic capability's and creative mind that will develop what would be a boring idea to a marvel as it will be adding to the mix my moving people idea but it has been scaled up if this interest's read my info on this by the link below.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1193-tanvoy-estate/

I am planing the project to be finished some time either next year our failing that the year after.

thank-you for reading _jon

post-16525-0-14394100-1356303787_thumb.jpg

Merry Christmas and i hope this interest's here is my latest photo my classic mustang fastback 1969 with newly fitted lights that are not legal but as this layout is set on a private property then it dose not matter,The layout has not progressed but is hopefully on track i am hoping it to include a gauge-master dc controler nothing fancy and a ye oldie type toggle switch panel I am as i write thinking up ideas for my hotel and garage complex and the station platform idea that was shown fitted to the building but i think it will work out.In my next installment there hopefully will be building plans thanks_jon

post-16525-0-99345700-1356388824_thumb.jpg

Are you building to 1/24th scale? What track standards are you going to use? A 1/24 standard gauge loco is pretty massive!

As an occasional exhibitor ( not at Warley yet!) people like to see plenty going on, on average spending about 90sec looking at each layout. Your moving figures would certainly catch the eye, but be sure the railway element is equally interesting.

If you look at all the really amazing layouts, "Copenhagen Fields," "Lime Street," " Bath Green Park" and many others, they are sometimes one persons vision, but are mostly created by a team. Thus each person contributes from their area of skills, some of which really take 20 years or more to learn, making the whole more quickly and to a higher standard than 1 person could achieve. (Jim's Birmingham New Street is the exception here! He has done all of it.)

Even with help these layouts have often taken 5+ years to get to an exhibit-able standard. I think your timescale based on your experience and available help may be too short!

The teams involved are also needed to move these mighty creations. Most require a fairly sizeable van to shift and a good few hours to get going.

Good luck with such an ambitious plan, look forward to more details!

Just a little update planing the layout i am finding easy however i am finding it hard to find materials

such as brick sheet and such like to make the planed buildings shown in the original plan see first entry.

If any such supplyer's are known please inform me.

Am i being a bit mentel our dose the scale i am working too just seem wrong moving peploe great big model cars big building's =lots of space required but is that true  my original plan was to do as the plan shows at the top of the page but i am thinking how to fit it so i have now adapted it slightly.

post-16525-0-37165700-1356743331.jpg

With the new track plan, you now need to consider what the crowds at Warley want to see. At the moment, you have a single piece of curved track on a fairly square layout. I would suggest making the layout longer and thinner and allow the track to go off-scene in both directions so you can build a return loop behind the backscene. This will make the operation a roundy-round but with the addition of a loop or one or two sidings in the viewing area, you can then add in some operating interest. The scale is large enough to be able to create very realistic textures, which will be pleasing to those who model in the larger scales and even small children, who equate that with their toys and Lego. If you then add in a radio controlled vehicle on the road, you have enough operating interest in a small space to keep you on your toes, and the punters interested while they absorb all that detail in the building interiors, etc. My 1:24 scale layout is built within four modules only 1200x400mm each, with each module representing views around the estate (but not linked visually). Trying to get everything onto one board will be hard at that scale, better to add more modules as time goes by so that you can give the viewers a better appreciation of a garden railway.

Which side is the front (viewing side) on the new sketch?

I will already be adding RC but thanks for the refresh i have got a mini cooper RC model using you helpful advice (keep it coming please)

this is an updated version of the plan any other suggestions please do tell i am also considering making the fiddle yard odsilete and replacing with futher scenery later date desision

Why not try using the hotel as the back scene, with the garden railway passing the ends, with the garage next to it and the road along the front? Essentially a mirror of your plan, that way the viewer looks across the road into the garden railway. Why does it have to be a hotel, couldn't you have the railway in the garden of the garage owners house, thereby making it a smaller building to model. There were often bungalows built next to garages for the owner to live in and this would be easier to model and more authentic.

Or, taking your diagram as the example,  Move the buildings and road inside the loop of the railway but facing to the right. The right hand side is then where the punters stand when exhibited.

I like this idea though to use some of my 00 stock not being used. I'd build a seat on the first wagon with the "remote" controller wires disappearing into the loco.

Best, Pete.

I have found a good book on narrow gauge heretige sites showing the various narrow gauge railways that are small but capture the exitment of trains as a visitor reguly of kings-bury water park with it small railway i have plenty of inspiration on my doorstep and only a few miles down the road stands chasewarter railway so i am spoil t for choice.

Archived