Agenoria kit AM31 "Walton Park" Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST

Ruston

I have just begun the construction of the above named and am having a spot of bother.

The instructions say that (after fitting the buffer beams, inner and outer, that the "valances" should be attached with them up against the front buffer beam.

If I were to do this there would be a gap of approx 4mm between the valance and the buffer beam at the rear end so, looking at a picture of a similar loco, I put them in the middle thinking that the 2mm gap at both ends would be filled by what would, on the prototype, be a wooden baulk.

However there is no such part in the kit and, additionally, the cab rear sits flush against the rear buffer beam yet the loco that I am looking at in a picture has the bunker overhanging the buffer beam. The photo on the box, of the finished kit, shows an overhang too so I'm getting very confused now but something's definitely wrong.

Any pictures of your finished kits, or photos of the prototype would be appreciated. The only prototype pic I can find is here http://www.portisheadweb.org.uk/wcpr/Walton%20Parkloco.html and that's too poor to make out any detail back there.

HC 1604 on the Mid Sussex line (listed as dismantled)is another of the "Ford" class that is preserved, used to be on the Nene Valley Railway at one time.

Also in "Industrial Steam" (in colour) Ian Allan on page 38 there is one I am 99% sure is of the same class which is a very good side view.

Thanks

According to the blurb with the kit, it is an "Italia" class. The picture you speak of is the one I'm looking at and there are various differences. But, being that I'm not re-creating Walton Park specifcally, I'll adapt features from both somehow. There's also a very good shot of another similar loco on page 5 of the Ian book INDUSTRIAL STEAM IN COLOUR - South Wales 2.

1604 is listed in Ron Redman's book (The Railway Foundry Leeds 1839-1969) as having 14x20" cylinders and 3ft. 7in. wheels, just the same as Walton Park. 1604 appears to have circular sand boxes http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=4151 so I may turn some up and fit them instead of those supplied with the kit.

And... I have turned to the back of the kit instructions and there is a full-size drawing, showing the overhang. D'oh!

Archived