Acton works

London cambrian

Hi all

This is justa point of idle curiosity, does anyone have any pictures, plans, drawings etc etc of the Acton works as it was back when the panniers were on their duties?

So, anything from the 1940s (yes i know its long pre panniers) upto the demise of them in the early 70s, but by then i presume things were being rationalised somewhat!

I have one pic of one of the district railway battery turned stores vehicles L8/9 shunting there with some of the ex district railway engineering stock (so 1940s maybe 1930s), as well as from memory one of one of the pecketts shunting in the headshunt down by the platforms.

So anything else would be of interest, especially any layout plans, from that period would satisfy my idle interests!

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark, do you know for sure that the Panniers worked at Acton? My dad worked there throughout his life so I often was in an around the place and I can't remember seeing them there. There was however often one around Northfields depot but where it was fueled and watered I don't know.  

Hiya Rich

The panniers were never really regulars at acton, just popped in from time to time to deliver stores. Mainly they worked out of lillie bridge and neasden. But no doubt things like unit consumables, such as brake blocks would need to be delivered, that didnt always come in via road.

Like i say, they werent regulars, but i have a photo of the work when it still had its goliath crane with one of the electric stores/ex battery locos there. That was more the aim of the question, to find out what the rest of the layout was like. And if the peckett tanks were working there occasionally, do doubt the pannier ventured in on th odd day. thats on of the things i like about engineers workings, the unpredictability of the duties the engines were used on.

But anyway, personal stories are always great to hear as well!

Cheers

Mark

There is a book with all that in called Underground Train Overhaul, copies available on Amazon and e-bay

I wasn't aware of that book, but did buy one from amazon after seeing your note. I love the picture on page 47 of a Met Bo-Bo departing in 1944 with a load of tanks. 

Hiya Rich

The panniers were never really regulars at acton, just popped in from time to time to deliver stores. Mainly they worked out of lillie bridge and neasden. But no doubt things like unit consumables, such as brake blocks would need to be delivered, that didnt always come in via road.

Like i say, they werent regulars, but i have a photo of the work when it still had its goliath crane with one of the electric stores/ex battery locos there. That was more the aim of the question, to find out what the rest of the layout was like. And if the peckett tanks were working there occasionally, do doubt the pannier ventured in on th odd day. thats on of the things i like about engineers workings, the unpredictability of the duties the engines were used on.

But anyway, personal stories are always great to hear as well!

Cheers

Mark

I'd have thought that the ex-District Hunslet Tanks L30 and L31 which were based at Lillie Bridge would be more likely to have been seen visiting Acton than the Pecketts. Of course both the Hunslets and Pecketts were replaced by the Panniers in the 1960s..

XF, page 7 of red panniers, the first page in the introduction! Show a pannier running into the headshunt at acton town, coming down, shunting the works! The pannier definitely did work to there!

I have also seen a picture of a pannier on a stores train that is captioned as bound for the works. But i imagine the reason little evidence exists is that there isn't very easy access to the site, not easy to look into, its surrounded by high fences and railway lines! All the other places, neasden, lillie bridge, croxley tip, were all easily accessible, neasden you could practically hop a fence and you'd be in there. lilie was overlooked alot, and o course there was alot more activity. Acton the views that tend to exist are of the headshunt, that came down beside acton town.

Might have to get that book as well, GoingUnderground, what sort of tanks were they? never seen an electric haul any sort. I'dprsume they are ex air inistry type. you see the off one at chesham for the depot there but thats about it for tank wagons.

Cheers

Mark

Archived