Heyside Group Miscellany

dikitriki

Hi

The fire escape is painted and weathered, and I have nearly finished repairing the building where the original was prised off. We're busy painting and detailing, but no pics yet. In the meantime another Black 5 has turned up, based on the Tower/DJH kit. A feature of the real railways was duplication of locos. It doesn't happen often in 7mm scale, but we have tried to do this on Heyside. For example, we should have 4 Black 5s to call upon at Aylesbury, 3 8Fs, 3 Fairburns, and a good number of twofers. Spotters' books at the ready.....

post-3059-0-35722300-1366926526_thumb.jpg

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

2 weeks to go to Aylesbury, but the panic levels are under control.

To pull a few threads together as it were, I have finished off the fire escape and the factory,

post-3059-0-88261900-1368211484_thumb.jpg

post-3059-0-71698800-1368211458_thumb.jpg

the signal gantry,

post-3059-0-86560800-1368211537_thumb.jpg

post-3059-0-76707400-1368211558_thumb.jpg

and the lattice footbridge and signals.

post-3059-0-15548900-1368211610_thumb.jpg

The signals will be commissioned tomorrow, and that means that the layout will be fully signalled.

Larry, I'll get back to you on the trackwork when I have spoken to Brian who has spent most of the last year painting it.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks Richard...... The weathering on the wooden signal posts is so totally realistic. I simply couldn't model Oldham or indeed any location between Werneth and Newhey because I disiked the area so much, therefore it is chilling to see it so successfully captured in model form. The pictures above bring to mind the area between Mumps and Royton Junction.

Hi

We had our last group session today before Aylesbury. Allan brought over the factory building he is working on. It's going to be far enough advanced for us to have it in place......

post-3059-0-50758800-1368905944_thumb.jpg

While it was here, I took the following photo to illustrate all the different roof lines. The thing I like about it is the insignificance of the 2 men in the allotment which shows the scope of the layout.

post-3059-0-30925300-1368905914_thumb.jpg

Richard

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Once again we find ourselves preparing for an exhibition - this time the Gauge O Guild show at Telford this September. All of 3 and a bit months away. We have been revamping the right hand side of the layout at the back over the last year, with a complete rework of the buildings forming the backscene. I shall take some more pics as the pace speed up, but in the meantime, here are a couple of videos and a photo to start the process.

post-3059-0-52542200-1432896114_thumb.jpg

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

I am so looking forward to seeing this masterpiece at Guildex. Richard you have a very talented team and you should be rightly proud of what you collectively have achieved. The layout is a worthy sucessor to some of the classic layouts of the past. The weathering of the buildings and stock is spot on and you seem to have got the operation very smooth as well. A super advert for 7mm modelling.

Will there be a chance to run a Black Five and a Fairbairn at Guildex?

Martin Long

Hello Martin,

Thank you for your kind words.

Will there be a chance to run a Black Five and a Fairbairn at Guildex?

We will be running several Fairburns and Black 5s of our own, and the locos are very appropriate for the Oldham Loop.

We don't normally permit visiting locos at an exhibition as they are (obviously) not tested over the layout. Having said that, it's not impossible, providing we are not too busy, and not on Saturday morning! They would have to be DCC chipped, in BR livery and weathered to some degree. The slow running would have to be flawless, and they would also have to pass a running test through some fiddle yard pointwork to check there is enough sideplay in the axles and the flanges are fine enough to go through a curved 31.5mm crossover. We are ruthless with our own locos, no less so with visitors'. If you are happy that your locos meet the requirements, bring them along, and we will do our best to accommodate them. Can you PM me a couple of photos?

Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard

They are analogue so although I am confident that they would pass the "tests" I will settle back (when my duties allow) and watch yours.

I think you have a masterpiece with Heyside and you and you team are to be congratulated on the railway. Is a certain Mr Malyon allowed to play trains with you?

Regards

Martin Long

Hello Martin,

Brian is part of the team, and is very largely responsible for the look of the trackwork, having spent the best part of a year painting the rails and sleepers.

He does have a tendency to revert to Southern multiple units if we're not careful though!

Yours,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Les, I will be seeing the person who added the figures in a couple of weeks: I will ask him then where he got them.

Meanwhile, the first doorstep milk deliveries have reached Heyside. The scene still needs some refinement - it's a bit too fresh for my liking (I hate pure white and pure black as colours) and needs some milk bottles and crates which are being 3D printed.

post-3059-0-00307100-1435830942_thumb.jpg

post-3059-0-81139200-1435830950_thumb.jpg

And the arrival of a Stanier tank - one of the locos missing from our Oldham Loop roster - posed in front of the new retaining wall behind the station.

post-3059-0-00521600-1435830983_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Further work has been undertaken around the station. The original steel sided footbridge between the road and the one crossing the railway has been replaced with a new lattice bridge modelled on that at Werneth, while some market stalls have appeared at the far end of the road bridge.

post-3059-0-02919600-1437254522_thumb.jpg

Richard

I have been looking in on this layout for a while now, and in the Americanised words of Buffy the Vampire Slayer ...

This modelling and detail on this layout is "totally awesome"

Wow it really is .... an inspiration to us all entering the 7mm scale.

Thanks for sharing it on here

Craig

Thanks Craig,

We're still working on the big factory which should be finished by the end of this month, but in the meantime, Roger has finished his MOK 76XXX, and we gave it a test run yesterday. It ran superbly, so it's on the roster for Telford.

post-3059-0-46602600-1437655511_thumb.jpg

Richard

• 1 month later...

Hi,

We're all working hard to get the layout ready for Telford.

Clive and I finished off the big goods warehouse yesterday:

post-3059-0-46013100-1440743768_thumb.jpg

post-3059-0-90992300-1440743781_thumb.jpg

and the milkman has been on his rounds:

post-3059-0-41191400-1440743856_thumb.jpg

post-3059-0-64979100-1440743870_thumb.jpg

I'm still working on the pub/houses behind the station, but a pub sign has appeared. There were a number of Albion/The Albion in the area, but the sign was pinched from elsewhere.

post-3059-0-97257400-1440743910.jpg

Cheers

Richard

Excellent!!!!

Wish I could come to Telford :(

Jinty ;)

Same here Jinty, my lad is 18 that weekend so we are out of this for this year .......................................... but next year Mr Jint's may be we could share an automobile and head off to the Shropshire badlands, what do you think ?

Craig.

• 1 year later...

A really excellent layout that captures so well the Oldham Loop line east of Mumps Bridge. I can almost feel the rain! When I look at the size of some of your mills, I now feel I have nothing to moan about with having to build the mill-like station buildings at Oswestry.

A shame this thread hasn't been updated for a while though.

A really excellent layout that captures so well the Oldham Loop line east of Mumps Bridge. I can almost feel the rain! When I look at the size of some of your mills, I now feel I have nothing to moan about with having to build the mill-like station buildings at Oswestry.

A shame this thread hasn't been updated for a while though.

Your so right Larry this really is the 'ultimate' layout in my humble view, seen it a couple of times at shows and spent some very enjoyable moments watching the trains go by. The atmosphere is real and as you quite rightly say.........I love the way the footbridge splits the scene with the signals and the backdrop of the satanic mills behind ......  you going to order a bigger shed in the spring ....  :triniti:  :jester:

Hi,

It has been a while since this thread was updated. It's been a very hectic 15 months, what with work, Finney7 and building a garden layout. However, I'm back on Heyside now, and looking forward to getting stuck in after the rejuvenating break. We have still had running sessions in the interim, and the electrics have been worked on, but it's back to building and scenic upgrading. A couple of photos to keep you going...

Downtime in the yard:

post-3059-0-61550400-1478885446_thumb.jpg

Ivatts meet:

post-3059-0-37627900-1478885420_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Richard

Archived